1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wuben C3 First Impressions (great budget 18650 light)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by severdhed, Jul 29, 2020.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

let me start by saying that I'm one of those people that cant justify spending $50 or more on a flashlight. If you are a flashlight snob that has to have fancy exotic finishes, this is not your light...move along.

but if you are like me and you want a crazy bright light that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, then this may be the light for you (and me).

A few years ago, i was looking for a bright light to carry on my belt or in my pocket. i had a few requirements:

brightness around 1000 lumens
    18650 battery
    pushbutton on tailcap
    memory mode so it stays on the last used brightness setting
    under $30
    1" in diameter (to fit in my custom holster)

Initially, i ordered the Thorfire VG15S. This was a great light that hit all of my check marks. It has 5 brightness settings, 0.5-50-200-600-1070 lumens, plus a strobe mode.. (the .5 mode is completely useless and it will sometimes get turned onto this mode and stay that way because i couldn't tell that it was on) I carried this light every day for about a year and a half and it served me very well. I wanted to upgrade to a light that was rechargable via USB for obvious reasons. This light now sits on my night stand.

For Christmas 2018, my wife bought me the Wuben L50. I absolutely love this light. I've carried it every day since and i couldn't be happier with it. it is super bright, even more so than the Thorfire, coming in at 1200 lumens. It has 4 brightness settings, which are more usefull and spaced out better than the thorfire...and no stupid strobe modes to accidentally activate. It's modes are 5-75-400-1200 lumens. This unit is about 3/4" taller than the thorfire. It has a smooth bezel, so it doesn't dig into your leg during pocket carry, and has Micro USB charging port on the tail cap, next to the switch. I have dropped this unit numerous times onto concrete and it has never given me any issues at all. I honestly cannot find anything that I don't love about this light, other than the fact that i have to carry a micro USB cable if i want to charge it.

a friend of mine asked me what model it was the other day because he wanted to order one for himself. I started looking on amazon and noticed they had a new model, the Wuben C3. the specs are pretty much the same as the L50, but it is a little bit shorter (same as the thorfire) and has USB type C charging built in. This was enough to make me want one. my phone uses USB-C, so this would mean i could use the same charging cables. The unit arrived this afternoon and I just charged it up. So far, my first impressions are quite positive. The fit and finish of the unit are great, it feels very solid and well made. It has an LED battery indicator that lights up for the first 5 seconds of use (solid green if above 90%, flashing green between 90%-40%, solid red from 40%-15%, and flashing red below 15%). It has 6 modes instead of 4 (5-80-400-1200) plus strobe and SOS. a soft press will cycle through the main 4 modes, quick double press for strobe, quick triple for SOS. Honestly, i could do without the strobe and sos modes, but they shouldn't be too annoying. In side by side comparisons, the light output matches up almost perfectly between between both of the Wuben models.

i'm going to start carrying the C3 full time as of today, but so far, it seems to be on par with the L50, which means it will be amazing.

both the L50 an C3 can be found on amazon for around $25. They are both IP68 rated for water resistance, although i haven't tested that out.

bottom line, if you are looking for a crazy bright light that is durable, simple to operate and won't break the bank, you can't go wrong with the Wuben L50 or C3.
    [​IMG]

jcombs, twin63 and Wishoot like this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Excellent review. I hadn’t heard of Wuben. There are a lot of good, inexpensive lights available these days.

BTW, it looks like you’ve gotten your money’s worth out of that Thorfire!

3. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

The wuben lights are very well made and amazing lights, I can't recommend them enough.

As for the thorfire, it is also a great light. It has become my weekend/minimal carry light. It gets used heavily and has held up very well to 3 years of regular use. If it would have had USB charging, I never would have even looked at the wuben L50.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  4. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

So 2.5months update:

I've been carrying the Wuben C3 every day since I purchased it. While my initial impressions still hold up, there are a few things that make me want to go back to the L50.

The strobe modes are super annoying. You change modes by half pressing the tail switch, which I like. however a double half press activates strobe mode. This is easy to do if you are just trying to switch modes and don't wait long enough between modes. I frequently find myself accidentally activating strobe when i'm just trying to get to a different setting.

the other big annoyance is that when the battery starts to get low, the turbo mode becomes unavailable. I understand why this is done, but it seems as if I end up having to charge this light more frequently that i did the L50. on the positive side, the l50 starts to flash when the battery gets low, often not giving you much of a warning. at least this way, when i notice that the turbo mode is missing, i know it is time to charge the light.

I really wish i could disable the strobe mode, if so, i would absolutely love this light. I do have a Convoy S2+ on the way, if it ever ships...i know it doesn't have the usb charging, but from what i've read i can customize the UI to remove the strobe modes, which is a huge plus. I hate strobe modes

twin63 likes this.