1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Writing instruments ya don't own, yet might want to, someday

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by oke, Apr 29, 2019.

1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, I don't think that there's already an existing topic with a similar subject out there, so I thought I'd make one...

Made it mostly 'cuz I got an email recently about a second iteration of a writing instrument for which I didn't receive a notice about the first incarnation, and, for 2 reasons, even though I'd like to have tried it out, I haven't. First of all, the one I was interested in is a limited quantity production (like the other products often are) which is already sold out, and second, I don't have the funds to "splurge", even for the second version.

Well, to start off the thread, I think I'd like to track down one of BilletSpin's "Soul Pens", in the all-stainless steel version, with a clip. They may change the webpage, however, for now, you can at least see what they used to look like there, if you're interested.

I suppose that, besides this being a topic about those pens ya don't have which you want which aren't exactly your all-time fave, you could also mention your "grail" picks if ya haven't already acquired them...

Do ya have any that you're interested in, which ya don't have yet?

:cool:

2. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

A nice bolt action pen, in titanium and wide variety of ink fills.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've been wanting a couple of fountain pens -- not that I 'need' more! (If you think edcf is filled with enablers you should spend time on Fountain Pen Network... yowzer! :) )

1) Pelikan Sovereign size 600. I have several size 200; also an 800 which is quite large. But I don't want just 'any' of the size 600. Pelikan had a LE series for cities/countries/famous 'regions'. So I keep my eyes open...

2) Visconti Homo Sapiens 'Bronze Age'... by fountain pen standards not the most expensive offering; but pricy enough that I've not pulled the trigger!

3) If I ever win the lottery big time I'd want to get a Nakaya fountain pen. Strictly handmade Japanese pens. Not usually what we'd think of as an edc pen, given the pricing! Here's a link just for anyone curious: http://www.nakaya.org/en/introgallery.aspx. For the more 'upscale' and expensive ones, go here: http://www.nakaya.org/en/gallery.aspx?body=Briar and select 'Makie' from the drop-down menu for Special barrel... !

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Last edited by Moshe ben David, Apr 30, 2019
    #3 Moshe ben David, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    GregM, surefire7, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

gorgeous pens.

5. Gobane

Gobane Empty Pockets

Fully agree with you. I would be interested in this pen.

ran23 likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm good for the moment. There's nothing on the pen front that I'm lusting after...might change at a moment's notice, however.:)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

I just remembered some which I think are fun, at least, in terms of the creativity for the mechanism used to extend/retract the ink cartridge - Hidetoshi Nakayama's offerings (and a few are there; not sure if that's all that's been created) - I think of the Ride the Wind, Steam Ride, Steam Shift, Steam Slide Pens, the Steam Shift's the relatively simplest. I mean, it's totally not necessary to have a mechanism that operates the way those are made, yet they still seem fun. They may not be very practical either if they're heavy. That Steam Shift one's listed at 0.49 kg? Or ~1 pound? Still, if I got one, I'd probably think it's neat to use.

Oh, and similarly, I think any from the Microtech Siphon series seems like one I'd use, yet not one I could spring for anytime soon.

Cool, Tesla, that you're able to say you're good. I should be more like that.

8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I bought my first Franklin-Christoph pen in November. I now own 4, including the Model 19 which I had considered my grail pen. I haven't had any desire to look at other pens - not that I won't in the future, but for now I'm content.

There are 2 pens that I would consider if I hit the lottery.........The Doctor's Pen by Onoto and the Pelikan M800 Stone Garden. I'm just not quite ready to invest that much money. Maybe one day.

9. Moshe ben David

I wish you much strength! Acquisition of pens had been worse for me even than knives... and especially now that I'm more or less (well, actually more :( retired...)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 likes this.
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Haha! Thanks, but I had bought about 30 fountain pens before the Franklin-Christophs. Too late for will power, but at least the Franklin-Christophs have slowed my procurement frenzy!

11. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

A yard-o-led grand viceroy. It is more a objet d’art than for practical use. Another pen that I crave is a good demonstrator. Unfortunately I have a mental aversion to spending significant Spondoolicks on a piece of clear plastic, so I have a selection of cheaper Lamy Vistas. A TWSBI mini may itch the scratch.

Tbzbbt

12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Huh, that's sorta a different trend. Been thinking recently about how folks have been creative and have used levers, gears, and springs, etc., as the mechanical means to get things done, and when I looked back at this thread, it seems, just over a year ago, I was thinking about the Steam Punk-type offerings which Nakayama created, along with Microtech's Siphon.

Well, maybe it's a yearly thing, yet I remembered this one fountain pen from Richard Mille, where one of the first bits of news about it was there, the https://j.mp/RM-S05.

I often appreciate products where the item does what it's supposed to do, well, and dependably, and so its reliable functionality's definitely on an imaginary checklist. And if the form's ergonomic, that's definitely great as well, though sometimes, the design/shape isn't so straightforward, or it's unexpected, and may or may not be dependent on the incorporated features (sometimes, there's a wishlist or conditions/constraints by the creator which helps determine the design). What's fun to hear is that "form follows function", because, in the following instances, where a collet or pin vise sort of chuck is used to adjust for various pen cartridge diameters, it's not like there was convergent evolution of the design:
    [​IMG]
    The Daga Pen Vise and Big I Design Ti Arto EDC both came out around the same time to do essentially the same thing, however, there's definitely still room for creativity in a design when the functions are similar!

Aside/tangent - when it looked like BID improved on their Ti Arto EDC, and called it the Ti Ultra (where they made the barrel be able to handle a modular swap to a fountain pen), they said the following at their ks project page:

We've always found it pretty frustrating that large pen companies essentially offer the same exact pens in 3 configurations. They usually sell a ballpoint, rollerball, or fountain pen version but you're forced to pick one or buy multiple pens. Also, the parts and threads are rarely engineered to be cross-compatible so you do not have the flexibility to convert your existing pen to another style without buying an entirely new pen.

Although we understand why pen companies make you buy multiple versions of essentially the same pen ($$$), we wanted to design one titanium "chameleon" pen that provided the ability to be all three pen types without the 3x price tag or ever locking you into just one pen type.​

And the price? Well, just about 3x the amount for a Ti Arto EDC... :rolleyes: They state what they don't like, then go ahead and do it anyway, lol. Asked them if they'd make the non-fp components available as a Ti Ultra-lite rollerball/ballpoint for one third of the price, and they said they wouldn't break up the set. Huh. But I digress...

Anyway, while it's fun to see the most simple/elegant solutions to a problem or for a function (since sometimes the solution is for a problem no one knew existed), that Richard Mille pen is on the other end of the scale in terms of its simplicity! From the bloomberg article:

There are a few videos of it in action, yet I hadn't found some official promo vid of it to share. Kinda fun to see what folks have come up with!

The catch, if ya didn't already know, though, is its price. Ready for it? $100+! Times a thousand. Whoa. Maybe not a grail pen, yet something that'd be neat to see work irl, at least.

If there was a super intricate, Rube Goldberg-like mechanism which was incorporated to extend/retract a pen point, yet for maybe .05% of that writing instrument's price, then that'd be cool to see/use, imo.

Maybe related, has anyone thought to create a double-action otf writing instrument? Or would that not be very feasible/useful? Just curious.

13. Moshe ben David

um. Beg to differ on ONE point. The big companies actually will offer at least FOUR types. You left off the mechanical pencil version ;).

Just to complicate it one step further, Parker for a while was known to offer a six versions in some issues of the Duofold line:
    > Not one, but TWO versions of the fountain pen. An International size plus a Centennial size which is larger. They actually still do this.
    > Roller ball; IIRC this was only offered in a single size; but it would not surprise me if I'm wrong and it was also offered in two sizes like the FP.
    > Mechanical pencil
    > Ball point with the current 'twist mechanism' to advance writing tip
    > Ball point with a push type cap mechanism to advance the writing tip. This mechanism I think is no longer offered and is considered rare and much desired by pen addicts (such as myself), aka 'collectors'. Yes, I'm proud to say I have a rare push type cap mechanism bp for one of the color variants of the marbleized Duofold :) ! And yes, I use it. No safe queen for me!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

14. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Yeah, there are different writing "modes" out there; I thought it was interesting/hilarious when Parker introduced its "5th Technology" - which was just a fancy felt-tipped fineliner dressed up with a "hood" that they promoted as being functional and helpful for the writing process (though, mostly just looking like an fp nib, lol). Tangent - another hyped (maybe only by the company that produced it?) writing instrument was the Monteverde One Touch:

A frantic rush through yet another airport – You queue up in line, and nudge your carry on forward. You need one item and as is so often the case have only one hand to maneuver with- Reach for the newest addition to your life!

This beautiful new Monteverde® pen delivers the unexpected, beauty and convenience. No cap to pull off, no struggles with a one handed twist, just a fabulous, elegant writing instrument.

... It's a writing instrument with a push-top click mechanism... So novel!

Anyway, yep, Big I Design's write-up about 3 modes didn't cover 'em all, I believe they were just mentioning the common 3 types/modes of pens. Just humorous how they pitched the Ti Ultra while also not really providing the value they said other companies don't make available. :D

And now, back on topic - Darriel Caston's D Rocket Oval Bolt Pen v2 - that's one I might like to use someday... Also? He's pretty creative with the knifemakin' as well: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBYOt0qhyCy/

15. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I've got a Machine Era Original in stainless that I absolutely adore. It's small, relatively light, has no moving parts, no springs to lose... to me it epitomizes 'elegance in simplicity'.

The lack of a pocket clip was a dealbreaker for many people, though not me as I intended to pocket-carry it from the start. However, I really appreciated that Ryan and Adam took that feedback and came out with a new iteration of the pen called the Markup. Instead of just 'updating' the Original and adding a clip, they released an entirely new pen so that buyers would have their option. Been wanting to get one for a while, just to have.

More recently they've developed a fountain nib/rollerball variant that would finally give me my (almost) ideal pen. Stainless steel, Rollerball tip, with the full breadth of fountain-pen inks available to me. No more being limited to rollerball cartridges or plastic pens like the J. Herbin rollerball or the Monteverde Inkball. The only thing I dont like about it is the window cuts in the pen body: I would much prefer it left solid.

I would like to have both some day, just for grins.

While not available, I would also like to get one of Machine Era's Original Field pens if they'd scale it up just enough to take a standard Parker refill.

16. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Maxmadco no longer makes a titanium bolt pen.
    I'd sure like to pick one up someday.
    They've said that this particular pen had the best bolt action.
    "They" being Tony over at everydaycommentary.

17. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I'd like the County Comm Embassy pen in titanium. I have the stainless one and it's s bit heavy for shirt pocket carry.

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually, he is no longer in the pen business at all, according to the home page on his website. I wanted to pull the trigger on one in the past, but didn't because I was put off by only being able to use Parker-Style refills, so I waited and got a deal on a Tactile Turn 1st gen bolt action, which allows for a broader range of refills. In the end, I was glad I did. As to online reviewers, I take all that with a grain of salt. I would trust many of the members here more to give an unbiased review on a product. Reviews often come down to the reviewer's personal preference, which may or may not parallel the buyer's.

Bad Company likes this.
  19. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you win the lottery, get this one so I can live vicariously... ;)

ATB,
    Sam

20. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I have the SS maxmadco and the bolt action is indeed very smooth. The small screw for the bolt is nice.. Only wish he produced them in great quantity. He should sell his design to someone because the design is really good.

Last edited by RMinNJ, Jun 18, 2020
    #20 RMinNJ, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Bad Company likes this.