1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Writing by Candlelight

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Sarky, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

This is a bit of an odd one, but do any of you ever write by candlelight? If so, I'd like to see pics of your candles/candle holders/oil lamps or whatever you use.

I'm not expecting a massive response here, but you never know with this place. :D

2. Phlebas

Phlebas Loaded Pockets

I can't say that I do it regularly, but if the power goes out I've done it and loved it. I felt like one of the colonists, reading/writing by candlelight. I did recently do some writing by flashlight. My wife and son had fallen asleep on the couch and the lights were off. I was still up but didn't want to disturb them so I laid my Fenix E05 down next to my journal and used to light from that to see enough to do some journal writing. I liked it. I found that I wrote more slowly and thoughtfully with limited lighting.

xbanker and Sarky like this.
  3. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

Never thought about writing by candle light but it might be a different writing experience.
    I'll have to give it a try it might be fun.

Sarky likes this.
  4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

No, having spent many days in the dark during hurricane sandy..when we had candles for any close up work we used a flashlight or led book like.. Candles don't seem to have the light we're used to.

Sarky likes this.
  5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

To write, you need good, clear light without a lot of shadows. I would recommenda tall, candle with a narrow holder. Walmart sells a 4-pack of tall, unscented "taper candles". They burn very clean and bright, with very little flickering. I would recommend this kind of candle for writing.

xbanker and Sarky like this.
  6. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

I light candles almost every day. Nothing beats the light and scent produced by a 100% bees wax candle in my opinion. They are also the most healthy choice (and , alas, the most expensive one as well). When it comes to candlesticks, I always look out for antique ones. My oldest pair is from the late 17th / early 18th century. To imagine how these candlesticks were in use in good times and in bad times for so many years really fascinates me.

Regarding the size of the candle for writing: In my opinion short candles are much better than very tall ones, simply because with the tall ones the light is too high up for reading/writing most of the time.

Sarky likes this.
  7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Dusty candles can be cleaned with a pair of old pantyhose, or at least that's what I read on Pinterest...

sveqs likes this.
  8. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

It never ceases to amaze me the random tips and tricks you can find on Pinterest.

9. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I see recommendations for both tall and short candles. It looks like I have some experimenting to do. :)

I wonder if there's a candle holder with a flexible arm with a mirror to direct the light? I'm not entirely sure why I'm interested in this. I suppose my memory holds romantic images from old movies of people writing by candlelight with quills...

10. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Here is something many of you may not have ever seen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

11. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I do this in pubs when they dim the lights for "ambience" and put little oil candles out. Screw that, it's getting dark and you're turning the lights down??!? :eek:

thwippa likes this.
  12. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I've seen those before, but I've never known the purpose of them.

Off to Google we go!

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Here is some interesting information on candle followers (I'd never heard of them), as well as general candle tips.

14. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Neat. :cool: thanks for the link!

15. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

never seen those followers before, great idea

16. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Those candle followers are cool! I've been aware of them for a while but never used one, for that matter I'm not certain I've ever seen one.

I don't write by candle light but if I did it would have to be with a fountain pen or better yet, a dip pen. We've got lots of candles and they're often used but I don't recall ever writing so much as a to do list using their light.