1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Would you wear a G-Shock to a formal occasion?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by panpanx, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

2. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

I have a G-shock specifically for formal occasions :D

3. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I was trying to find a picture to illustrate but I can't at the moment. I wore the same G-shock to my brother's wedding that I wore for 3 weeks responding to Hurricane Sandy and pretty much 24/7 for the rest of the year. Although he and the bride wore cowboy boots and I wore combat boots, YMMV I guess.

Roger likes this.
  4. imaginefj

imaginefj Loaded Pockets

Depends on the occasion.

5. aphid

aphid Loaded Pockets

Me no...you? Don't care what you wear but, if a catch you at my wedding with one on under your tux you will be seated at the kiddie table.:)

Six String, ItsHardToKnow and stax like this.
  6. TweezersAndAToothpick

TweezersAndAToothpick Loaded Pockets

If it's a formal event I dress however I feel is respectful towards who is hosting the event. You usually know going into a formal event how nicely you are expected to dress, if it comes across that a watch like a G-Shock would be fitting then sure but I would never intentionally disrespect the hosts by not dressing to the standards they set for their event they went through the trouble of setting up and inviting me to. If I am not sure then I try to overshoot on the formality of my attire and accessories just in case.

Six String likes this.
  7. Norse Scots
    • In Omnia Paratus

Norse Scots Loaded Pockets

Only have 1 watch so not many options
    But i would wear wat i have :)
    G shock it is
    Altho i dont have one
    My son does

8. Hobbnob

Hobbnob Loaded Pockets

If it's anything below Tux level I'll happily wear my G-9100. Above that and it stays home, I can check my phone if I really need the time.

9. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

In my opinion if I'm invited to a formal event, that would mean the host probably knows at least a little bit about me, and I would catch crap for wearing anything but a G-Shock. I can see where the question would come in at maybe mandatory company dinners or the like, but still it's with people that know you. I'd hope they wouldn't be offended if you wore the same watch you wear 24/7. To be fair though I don't have much experience past family, work-related or military events.

Evilbunny likes this.
  10. Eridan_Ampora

Eridan_Ampora Empty Pockets

DW6900DS-1 it has a really nice diamond pattern that would go well with most tuxedoes

11. TinCan

TinCan Loaded Pockets

HECK NO! A G shock looks waaaay to nerdy and geardo for special occasions.
    I wear Swiss Army NVGs and I still get flak for the OD wrist band thing.
    For special occasions wear a shiny watch...

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  12. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I see what you are saying, but disagree
    Just because they know what youre into does not mean they want you wearing certain things in their wedding etc
    Sometimes I wear cut off camo cargo shorts - doesnt mean my friends would be ok if i wore that to their wedding reception, baptism etc

I say "no" to this thread
    theres a time and place for everything, and big honkin plastic watch aint exactly formal

Gambit88 likes this.
  13. Elg

Elg Loaded Pockets

Yes! I feel naked without it, and I would almost never go naked in formal occasion.. . ;)

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

He looks like a dumba$$. Somewhere the Chairman of the Board is turning over in his grave.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Sometimes we take the casual trend of recent years too far. No, I wouldn't wear a casual watch to a formal event. Everyone should have at least one watch in their collection that's more formal to wear with a suit or tux. Or don't wear a watch at all. But a G-Shock with formal wear? Never.

sl66ICEcuba and Six String like this.
  16. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

It really depends on the formal occasion, but a digital or ana-digi G shock could be worn formally. I wouldn't have any problems sporting a GW-A1000 on a metal bracelet in a suit or even a tux at a wedding.

17. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I respect your opinion, but cut-off camo cargo shorts are a far cry from a watch or any "accessory," seems like apples to oranges to me.

18. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

fair enough, so
    how about a baseball hat? It is an accessory and equally wouldnt fit in at a wedding or other formal gathering

19. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it depends on the size and the visibility of the accessory. I recently stumbled over a wedding while visiting a church. All groomsmen wore nice trousers and a vest (it's way too hot here for a jacket) but then a bright pink tie, sneakers/black chucks and big black sun glasses. That looked pretty funny. At least all of them were wearing the same stuff, but IMO it was a bit too casual for a wedding. Would be good for going out in a high end location, but yeah, was funny to watch. So I think if it doesn't draw to much attention, it's ok. Of corse I'd like to wear a nice watch for special occasions, but hence I only have my g-shock I just wear it.

Mighty Max likes this.
  20. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I am going to be blunt about this, NO, G shocks just look so juvenile. I respect that they are tough and well priced but they just look so tacky. If it is the only watch you have, for a formal occasion, it will not kill you to go without it for a couple hours. Everything has its place.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.