1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Would you sell collection off for....

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jhov85, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

I've been really contemplating selling off my entire collection and buying one really nice edc and one "beater"

I've roughly calculated that if I sold all my knives I would make enough profit (total profit meaning purchase price of my knife minus sale price) to purchase a carbon fiber small inkosi and something under $65 like a delica.

Should I do it? Would you do it?
    I'm tired of the rat race of buying way more knives than I could never use.

Opinions?

bryan123 likes this.
  2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Thought about it more than once. It's a rat race indeed.

What I think about is, to sell everything but my Hinderer and the SAK that I got from my dad. But then there is my Spyderco Phoenix and this will never be sold. Oh and 0770CF which is a feather with an edge. And...

Well there is my problem. But I agree, I am close to doing the same since a while.

PS: Already sold about 15-20 of my lower value knives. So there are only about 15 left.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

#2 ThaMac, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    LivingUpNorth and bryan123 like this.
  3. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I would always looked back and wished I still have one thing or an other, so no sale. Save and save 'til you can afford the finer things.

kdurt likes this.
  4. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

One thing to keep in mind... whoever dies with the most knives, wins! :D

Batsy, Gary Gross, montejames and 3 others like this.
  5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I took that step many years ago. It was getting ridiculous with buying new knives everytime I saw a new one I lie in some knife magazine or forum. I had knives I never used. So I sold off all of them except for a few that I had from before I became a knife nut. A couple of SAK's, a Buck stockman, and a few others. My total knife collection now is just about 6 or 7 knives. A SAK or Buck stockman is my normal edc, with a Leatherman squirt tossed in now and then if I think I'll ned the little pliers.

Now I just pop in once in a while to the forms to just window shop and see what everyone else is carrying. It's good therapy for me to see others getting out of control and it keeps me from getting mor knives that I don't need.

Looking back on it, it was like I was in the grip of some kind of temporary insanity that I am thankful for coming out of. Now 90% of the time I have a two layer SAK in my pocket and I survive just fine. For fishing I keep a Buck 102 woodsman sheath knife in my daypack.

It was an unbelievable feeling of freedom getting rid of all those knives and my gun collection that had also got out of hand. I kept a few for target shooting and self defense and that was it. Freedom!

Here's abut all I carry these days;
    [​IMG]

Last edited by jackknife, Mar 1, 2017
    #5 jackknife, Mar 1, 2017
  6. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

I have probably around 120 knives, it would take too much work to try and sell them all. Plus, I bought each one for a reason and I think I would regret selling them.

Bubba stump likes this.
  7. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

That is the exact issue I have in like I have my office edc and my beater and oh my flipper and oh might need a camp knife or a insert blank knife

8. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

That's good to hear. I honestly drool over a knife, review my collection to see which ones can be liquidated to purchase the new one. The moment I get the new knife I repeat this process. It's honestly exhausting! I'm fortunate enough to have traded and purchased all my knives for a significantly lower cost over the retail price so I could sell them off and make a profit of about $500.

There are honestly days, DAYS! That I don't even use a knife. For example I'm traveling for work right now for the next 2 weeks. No knife needed so far

I'm very tempted to take the sak challenge where you only carry a sak for 2 weeks

bryan123 likes this.
  9. Jhov85

Jhov85 Loaded Pockets

Wow 120?!?? That's insane. I'm at 10 knives and feel like that's over kill

outbackwack and bryan123 like this.
  10. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

That's the curse of these forums, and why I was gone for a while. When I stop browsing the forums, I don't feel the pressure at all to buy any knives. I have knives, and those half a dozen knives will last me the rest of my life. A good Victorinox SAK will last for years, even abused, let alone taken care of. The ugly brutal truth is, most of us in a urban/suburban life that most o fled these days, don't need anything other than maybe a SAK classic. It's not like we're fighting off Chinese paratroopers, or have hostile injuns' coming over the hill to scalp us, or we're skinning buffalo. The whole knife market is so contrived and artificially stimulated that it's lost all touch with reality. When I was a kid, in the 1950's, most men carried a pocket knife, and it was almost always a small two blade jack about 3 inches long with a 2 to 2 1/2 inch blade and a spare 1 1/2 inch pen blade tucked in there.That was all that was needed in a world where life was more rural then than now. Now the tactical knife craze that was started in the early 1990's to stimulate the knife market, has people thinking they need much more knife than they do. Look how many people go without a knife at all? We all know them and most of my family thanks I'm nuts, and they were right! It was insane how may knives I had. I thank God a lot of them were a small Randall collection that I got my money out of, so it off set the loss I had selling off the other stuff. Some of the factory stuff I actually gave away on another forum.

I'm just so happy that I'm done with it. I kept a couple of my pocket knives and mostly I just carry a SAK, and I get by fine. In fact, the screw driver gets used often enough that I consider a SAK the best edc pocket knife. In this urban world we live in, I find a few basic tools on hand a very good thing.

The whole knife thing has got out of hand. All you need is a few inches of sharp blade. Sometimes I go for days on end with just a Vic classic and I'm fine. It cuts, snips, files and even stews small flat and Phillips screw with the SD tip. Someitmes we need to take a step back and look at things in the light of day. You need to be able to see the forrest from the trees.

Last edited by jackknife, Mar 1, 2017
    #10 jackknife, Mar 1, 2017
    LivingUpNorth and bryan123 like this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Never even considered that only carrying a SAK would be a challenge. Still the most versatile edc I have! Just that I have too many SAK's also!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Jhov85 likes this.
  12. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Yep, the thought recently crossed my mind too. I have to add though, I've only been in the EDC game for about 18 months and my plan from the beginning was to only establish a small selection of items for different tasks. Regarding knives, I also wanted to get to know the different locking mechanisms and materials. I was able to build up my knife selection quite fast, so I've already been able to test and use a good selection of knives. It's a little early to conclude, but it seems I could easily scale down to about 3-4 folders (not counting multi tools and SAKs). After realizing that locking mechanisms and steel quality doesn't mean all that much, I'm more focused on blade shape and pocket friendliness.

I will also admit there is probably a case of jewelry placebo syndrome at play here. I've never worn necklaces, rings or bracelets, but when I buy a knife or a watch these are actually useful items that I like and care for, I will likely not just get the cheapest item that will get the job done, but pay the extra money to get something that I really like and that somehow connects with my personality.

When I suddenly got interested in watches as well, I understood this could get expensive in the long run, so I made a matrix of what I wanted from my watches and since no watch does it all, I ended up with "needing" up to 5 watches, so that's as high as I will go. To keep things simple, I think I'll apply that same number to all the other categories of EDC items as well.

I guess I would end up with more stuff if I bought every item that I came across that appealed to my, but I don't really feel the pressure to buy, or find it stressful to look at forums and reviews. I actually learn a few things along the way, and now and then it will lead to an investment, especially in the beginning when your starting from scratch. I mostly acquire things based on a specific need anyway, but by introducing an artificial limit to the number of items I can acquire, I think I will force myself to more thoroughly assess what I really need, and where I can replace or use an existing item for multiple / more tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I've got about a dozen knifes, 10 in a drawer and 1 I use when I dress up "nice". My trusty Gerber tanto tip (no clue the model) has been my constant companion for more that 1/3 of my life (I'm not that old). For me it's always been quality over quantity and this is not exactly an expensive knife, I'll bet it was less than $50. I would always take one piece I love over 100 I'm okay with.

Likewise, I have an older Gerber multitool that's got to be close to 20 years old. I really like the new thumb drive (or whatever it's called) but the old one is still in perfect shape. So I can't bring myself to buy a new one.

Buy it right the first time, buy it for life.

bryan123 and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

10 is probably more than enough, I just have a sickness. I like knives and I always seem to find one that I really like, it has gotten a little excessive I admit but I do enjoy it. And I try to rotate and and actually use some of them (although I seem to go back to the same ones quite often). I dont know how many more I will get though, have kind of ran out of room in my case (not all of them are even in this picture below). Initially I got into knives because I was really interested in learning about the various knife steels, many of my knives have different types of blade materials (tried not to get too many knives of a single type).

[​IMG]

chotu, Shike, Ray Loftis and 4 others like this.
  15. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am all about quality, over quantity. If that is what YOU want, then do it!!

Shike and bryan123 like this.
  16. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Collections are a funny thing. Ive helped liquidate some for deceased relatives (stamps and coins but its all the same I assume) and for the uninterested and uninitiated in the hobby it's a :censored: requiring either a quick education in the subject matter or some amount of trust in someone else. The value of a collection is best calculated interms of enjoyment and time spent pursuing that interest by the original collector, and rarely worth the price of admission at "liquidation" time.
    Just my .02...

colin.p, bryan123 and Nick4305 like this.
  17. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

I think the concept of a "collection" is interesting in general, but particularly for functionally minded folks like us. We carry knives for functional purposes, but what's functional about a ton of knives in a case or drawer? People like collections, it's what we do, but is kind of weird if you think about it. And a collection of knives, for example, can be about so many different knife attributes as well as quantity. Budget is a huge general factor. I collect knives with 2 attributes: 1) functionality for daily carry (Leatherman, CRKT folders, my modified Opinel) and knives with stories and/or history (higonokami, Opinel, Mercator, Douk Douk, file and wrench knives, handmade knives). I do the same thing with my other interests, cycling being one I spend way more $ on. If they don't fit in those categories, then I'll sell that thing for something I'll appreciate more. A collection of 120 sweet knives is beautiful. But a collection of 5 knives that you appreciate for some particular or personal reason is also great. Shed the fluff, buy things you love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

When I was much younger, there were not that many available to choose from so I never developed that habit of acquiring them just to have them for "show and tell." I was raised to appreciate the utility of a sharp edge vice develop enamour for the form. Knives are just tools to me and I'll carry and use one for decades. My present carry folder was made by a recognizable maker and I'll likely not acquire another. I'd prefer to not carry one at all if this society can provide a guarantee that I'll never need one again.

bryan123 likes this.
  19. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Nope...not go'in to do it ! ( plus if the wife ever found out...Well thats another story ! )

2 Panther

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I have more knives than I'm willing to admit. I plan to sell at least 50 and that won't make a dent. But I'll buy more. I like what I like. It's a hobby. It's only remotely practical (they actually do cut so they serve a purpose) but I try to buy below market price. If I do sell I hope to make a small profit so it is an investment that will yield a moderate return. However, I get to use and enjoy them in the meantime.

Hangman likes this.