1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Would you leave your expensive bag in a public area?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Water-Rat, Apr 13, 2014.

1. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I'm retired now so no issues with leaving my bag in my office. However, when I did work in an office, I locked the door behind me. My bag is not so expensive, nothing like a Beltran, just an Osprey Kestrel 32. But the stuff inside is worth much much more, so it's in my shopping cart at the grocery store and between my feet or beside me whenever I go into a restaurant. If any place I'm going asks me to leave my bag behind or check it in somewhere, I just keep walking to somewhere else.

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

"All measures are just to keep honest people honest."

My opinion: I agree with you, Bigfoot and Reppans. But, I'd go even further: Yep, that's one part of it. The other part is to not 'advantage' any already dishonest people out there. And, for the record, guys, there are people that steal because they 'need' something, because they want something, and even because, well, they don't even have a reason ... they just prefer to steal, the same way that we inhale and exhale ... it's a natural, autonomic function to them.

3. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Not "absolutely no" as I may leave the bag with someone I trust (really, I wouldn't think of a girl I have classes every day with or the brother as a potential thief, would you?) or in a secured place (only if necessary, like a pool/gym locker or if required by security restrictions). But I don't leave it in unfamiliar places like an airport waiting area or something like that. It takes just one minor thing to get my attention and then I can completely forget anything I've left. Happened to a mobile phone, a magazine, some money. Not to mention thieves. The last case was with the gloves - got stolen by someone while sticking out of the bag's outer pocket. I just didn't think anyone would want to steal a used pair of the most casual leather gloves. Really. Don't want it happen with my backpack.
    Guess that is true for most people. They are simple, obvious precautions.

Water-Rat and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. marcclarke

marcclarke Loaded Pockets

I suggest you get one of the PACSAFE bags and lock it to something secure. Or a PACSAFE mesh wrapper to surround your existing bag. Search for "pacsafe" and you'll find their web site. Even REI now sells some of the PACSAFE bags.

Water-Rat and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

There are only two scenarios in which my bag is left outside of my reach or visual range:

1) At my desk at work when I step away (bathroom, lunch, meetings, etc). However, we're in a maglock secured environment (and I built and installed our surveillance system that watches all points of entry) and no one at work is dumb enough to mess with my bag, for fear of what I'd do to them — they all understand how serious the stakes are. A few unfortunate individuals experienced said wrath after walking away with hand tools from my tool totes on two separate occasions. I'm just as (more?) protective of my tools as I am with my EDC gear.

2) Locked in my trunk while I visit whatever store/eatery I happen to be at. My vehicle is secured with an alarm system and dashcams.

It is of my opinion that we simply do not live in a world where the benefit of the doubt can be shared with everyone anymore. Scumbags are more desperate and brazen than ever and need little to no excuse to snag what isn't theirs, regardless of the consequences. Often, being overtly video recorded committing these acts isn't even enough to stop them.

6. loneslinger

loneslinger Loaded Pockets

For daily use I carry a Viper sling bag choosen for being well enough made, but still cheaper than those of "first line" brands.
    I'll leave it alone at work -or with somebody I trust in public places if need be.
    For when at the beach or the pool, where I know I'll have to leave it unattended I have a few no brand, chapest and plainest looking bags, and carry the less and cheapest gear possible.

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Sadly you just can't leave anything unattended otherwise it's likely to walk unless it's a bag of garbage for the bin men. Lol

Even if you have an old vehicle that you think that no one is going to want to steal, don't leave a bag/anything on show otherwise it's going to cost you a broken window etc at least.

8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I'm in public, especially when I'm in a crowded area, my bag does not leave my body. If I HAVE to leave it I leave it in an area where it cannot be seen and is locked, and I am the only one that has the key to it. Preferably in a hidden area of my my vehicle.

I had family members that had electronics stolen out of their glove box in the middle of a crowded parking lot in broad daylight a year or two ago. I don't want to risk having my bag stolen in the same way.

victograph and Water-Rat like this.
  9. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with the majority here. No you don't leave your bag, expensive or not unattended in a public area. I had to followup on way too many thefts from bags "just left it there for a minute to go to the....." Lost cellphone or wallet it other. If you are at the beach, I would suggest a non description bag with prop dirty diaper, at the beach put your valuables in the prop diaper, less likely to be grabbed. or as others suggested pac safe or cable. Best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. sgtdills

sgtdills Loaded Pockets

I leave mine on my toolbox everyday. But there aren't many people that walk through the shop.

11. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

I have used several no name bags that have proven to be quite good. If your going Grey Man in public using something that looks used and not worth nicking has its advantages.

12. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Funny story. One day (beer was involved) we put a for sale sign on a pile of bagged leaves and garbage set out by the road. The first truck that stopped that didn't think anybody was looking threw them in the bed and hauled tail. Never looked inside them or anything. This was out in the rural country supposed to be surrounded by "good ol boys".

I wouldn't leave anything I intend on keeping for myself unattended anywhere.

13. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

I used to leave work EDC under a desk in a "Bull-pen" cubicle while working in FAB, But stopped due to not using laptop as much as before. I trusted all that had access to the bull-pen. However I would NEVER leave my pack unattended out in open public, like beach or park whatever...... It would stay out of sight. or left home or on my back.

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

:censored: NO! NEVER!

Moshe ben David

victograph likes this.
  15. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Nope. Never.

victograph likes this.
  16. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Never. I don't even like to leave it in a luggage locker or cloakroom.

I am conscious of my EDC bag when out and about away from my usual region. Last year on visit to Melbourne (Australia) I was the target of an attempted bag snatch. I had a Camelbak HAWG, older black and gray model. The bag was next to me on the floor while I was eating lunch at a laneway restaurant. The culprit grabbed my bag took two steps, he was running, and crashed to the ground slamming his head on the nearest table and splitting it open very badly. He staggered to his feet and took off blood pouring from his wound. As I am a calm person I went back to eating with my bag still next to me. Nobody realised it was an attempted bag snatch as it happened so quickly.

When sitting anywhere if my EDC bag is on the ground, even under a table, I put my foot through the shoulder strap which effectively ties my bag to my body. Simple and effective. Usually my bag will sit between my feet and not on the outside of my leg which is how it was on that particular day. See below.

[​IMG]

17. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't put my $20 phone on the table if I sit in some bar or something. I don't trust people, no matter how much I know them and how small my town is. The answer is NO, and almost NOTHING.

Colt Seavers and victograph like this.
  18. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

I don't go more than 100 ft away, gotta see it, and that's with Bluetooth leashes/trackers in there. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  19. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

20. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets