1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Would this SAK pass TSA screening?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by chaka, May 22, 2015.

1. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

2. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

idk those files look pretty dangerous you might be able to hold up a plane with it....(tsa logic)
    In all seriousness never take anything through a tsa check point you don't want to loose, sometimes i swear that their rules are just made up as they go along

Cobra 6 Actual and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

It should, yes, based on their current rules.

Cobra 6 Actual and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Technically, yes, but it's really up to the individual agent's discretion. You don't know if you'll get an agent who is having a bad day, or are extra stringent, so it will always be luck of the draw.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

What is that SAK's name? 2 files and no blade? What the...
    Otherwise, due to it's bladeless construction, it should pass, like the Leatherman Style PS.

6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Looks custom to me. I don't know of a single model with that configuration, even the Jetsetter series. The scales have been removed at least once, because the toothpick and tweezers are facing toward the keyring, instead of away, as they do with factory new SAKs.

7. newman252

newman252 Loaded Pockets

While we are on the subject. You can take a multitool with you as long as they are in your checked luggage? Am I correct on this. I've never flown before but will be for the first time in about 2 weeks. If that is the case I can deal without it for the 2 hr flight. I just wanna make sure before I lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

You will probably get tapped for extra screening, but they'll let you on afterward. I have flown with the similar Leatherman Style PS several times.

9. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

Yes you can put it in checked baggage and alls good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newman252 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Here'a the results of a TSA Screening survey:

[​IMG]

Seriously, as others have noted, a multitool in checked baggage should be no problem. Just don't make it your most favorite one. On more than one occasion I've has various stuff removed/stolen from my checked baggage.

What I do now is put a fairly beat up Victorinox that I'm not particularly attached to inside of my shaving kit and, then, that kit inside of a zippered pouch. My idea is to make theft inconvenient for those that are furtive thieves.

bigfoot and GearHunter like this.
  11. blkthunder

blkthunder Loaded Pockets

Looks like it'd pass domestic US TSA screening without too much issue. Just know that the rules are different for international security. I had my style PS confiscated due to it having pliars thus being a 'tool' and not allowed as a carry on in the Puerto Vallarta airport. If i had a check-in bag it would have been no problem.

12. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Victorinox have Flight variants of various SAKs... usually with knife, nail file, and scissors removed.

13. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I would assume yes, but you will get checked. I've brought their jetsetter with (modified to have a clip), and it's been examined. The agent will usually ask if you want to check a bag so you can keep it, or leave it behind. At that point, I just say, "There's no blade in there". They'll open all the tools, show the x-ray agent, and tell you to have a good flight. Or pull out the exam gloves and ask you to step behind the screen. If you want to make it easier on yourself, place the tool in the open in one of those gray bins that you put your stuff in so they don't have to dig through a bag to get to it. It will speed up the process and give you less to put back together when they are done.

Be polite and thank them when they let it through and you should be just fine.

ETA: I've been trying the same mod for travel, except having the ruler from the mini champ instead of the pointy file.

14. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Good idea -- same thinking here. Haven't had anything stolen from my bags yet, of course, saying that I probably just jinxed myself big time. :eek:

15. chaka

chaka Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all for the point of view... Just to let you know that I had no problems with the tsa...

This a custom made sak btw... ;)

bigfoot and Cobra 6 Actual like this.