1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Would like a watch with highly luminescent features

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Firemission, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

Here's my issue. Recently I purchased a Pulsar watch to use as kind of a work watch (one you could beat up) however besides it being a nice looking watch with orange hands and numbers, it wasn't luminescent. ; ( Who makes a sport watch that doesn't have glowing hands? Doesn't make sense.
    Anyway I would like a watch that's highly luminescent, battery or no battery, durable, black or dark color. I'm willing to pay as high as about $200. Now I've been looking at the Seikos but haven't settled. I do like Citizens but they're not as bright as I want. Thanks in advance for your advice.:)

2. NickSwan

NickSwan Loaded Pockets

I don't have one, and most either love or hate it but check out Luminox's website and click the "night view" button at the bottom. They use Tritium and it is nice and bright for 20 years. I am partial to the Recon Pointman which is at the top of your price range on amazon currently.

Firemission likes this.
  3. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Seconded, you need a tritium :). Luminox or Traser are sound bets and should be affordable if you shop around.

Firemission likes this.
  4. Firemission

Hmmm. Luminox. Let me take a look. Thank you.

5. c0nspire

c0nspire Empty Pockets

Reactor watches can be pricey but some incorporate what Reactor calls "Never Dark". Mine has tritium tubes on both the hour and minute hands, as well as at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions and in addition, all the numbers and hands are marked with high intensity GITD paint. I think this is really the best of all worlds. If it's been dark for a while and my eyes are adjusted, I can see the tritium just fine. If I have just transitioned from light to dark (say, walking into a movie theatre) the GITD paint is VERY bright and my unadjusted eyes can still make out the time no problem. In almost three years of wearing my Reactor daily, I can't recall a single time I was unable to read my watch.

Firemission likes this.
  6. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

My Seiko SNE425 has great lume I typically leave under my bedside reading light for a few minutes just before bed and it stays readable for 8 to 10 hours with dark adapted eyes. My Traser 6650 tritium doesn't need charging but it is a little bulky to wear at night.

Firemission likes this.
  7. Firemission

So far Traser, Reactor, Luminox and Seiko. I'll be doing some research on those suggestions. Thanks again; )

nr73 likes this.
  8. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

My GSA Navigator (Marathon via CountyComm) has some very bright tritium.

Firemission likes this.
  9. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Armourlite, but they are a bit out of your price range. I might be incorrect, but I seem to recall that there are just 2 US companies which make watches with trit segments, Luminox and Armourlite. Am I correct?

Firemission likes this.
  10. Firemission

Okay after looking at your suggestions; I decided on and ordered the Luminox Recon series watch. I found myself going back to that watch each time but it wasn't easy. I read reviews and watched videos on all the brands mentioned. The Armour lite and Reactor watches are pretty darn nice and I came closer a couple of times. Thanks to all who contributed your help.;)

nr73 and w2edv like this.
  11. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Black Monster uses very bright GID material and is in that price range if you shop around.

-john

Firemission likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I've had trit watches and superluminova watches. I prefer the superluminova. Among the best I've seen or owned are Pilot watches by Steinhart.

NickSwan and Firemission like this.
  13. NickSwan

NickSwan Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Superluminova
    [​IMG]

Firemission, Six String and Nick4305 like this.
  14. Firemission

Some more additions. I'll have to take a look at those. Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions.

15. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

The only way to go is tritium. Marathon, Deep Blue, ISOBrite, traser, Luminox ect ect. I have multiple tritium watches and they are hands down the best. Seiko or Lum-tec or other similar companies have lume that must be supercharged by direct light for it to really last and be seen. I can wake up and see the time across the room with tritium, and constantly get compliments out at bars, in movie theaters and other darker atmosphere places

Firemission likes this.
  16. Firemission

You know, I bought this watch for work but end up wearing it all the time now! Go figure!:cool:

17. invisible_kid

invisible_kid Loaded Pockets

I have a nite mx10. This fits what you want but they are over here in the UK so might be bit more than $200. Really good watches though if a bit unheard of

Firemission likes this.
  18. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

One of my watches is a Traser P6600, it's Tritium and the Luminescence is great.

Firemission likes this.
  19. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

I agree that tritium is what you want (either that or just get a smartwatch with backlighting). I can't recommend Deep Blue at this point, since the crown of mine somehow got pushed into the body of the watch after about a year and wouldn't allow me to adjust the time or date. I sent it back for repair and have been waiting now for around 9 months for the repair to be complete. I've heard great things about Deep Blue customer service, but with that kind of wait, I can't say I agree.

Firemission likes this.
  20. Firemission

TominOregon; I looked at their website. Gotta say nice watches. I totally agree. 9 months is too long to wait for repairs. Hope it gets fixed soon.