1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Worth it to buy a .22lr?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kyguylal, May 30, 2015.

1. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

Where in MA?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Up on the north shore

3. Gray29

Gray29 Loaded Pockets

Everyone needs at least one rifle in .22LR and at least 500rds lyin around. That being said, I've just recently seen it in the shelves for the first time this year.

ran23, Cobra 6 Actual and B.Haven like this.
  4. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I picked up a blue Savage Rascal for my boys. It's shrunk down to kid proportions, yet I can still shoot it quasi-comfortably. It's got a big safety, peep sight, single shot, plastic stock - all to teach kids safe handling of a firearm without beating up a fancier gun. They love to shoot it, killing cans and old water bottles - and a couple of troublesome raccoons around the farms.
    The little .22LR is often overlooked for it's usefulness. Give one a try.

nosnerosen and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. Bellasdaddy

Bellasdaddy Loaded Pockets

Bought it at Cabela's!

Cobra 6 Actual and vegassprky like this.
  6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

That's even more shocking then.

7. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

If you're looking for a sweet bolt action .22, look no further than the Cz452. Incredibly awesome rifle for not a ton of money. Just to give you an example, here's a group I shot with the 452:

[​IMG]

The rifle cost me exactly $452CAD when I bought it several years ago. I slapped a cheapy chinese made coptics 3-9x scope on it that cost about, I think, 50 bucks, along with a Harris Bipod, and that rifle is an awesome tack driver, as you can see. For the money I spent, the value I received was incredible.

vegassprky and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Different 22's like different ammo.
    The CCI Velociter in 40 grain is one to try.
    Savage makes some nice 22's.

P.S. Some 22's won't feed some brands of ammo, ( due to different case size), do the research before you buy.

9. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Loaded Pockets

I couldn't be happier with my Ruger MKIII 22/45, 10/22, and a few others in my collection. Over the past few months I've been able to find 22lr ammo on a regular basis at my local Bass Pro Shops. I normally stop by once or twice a week on my way home from work and pick up as much as they'll let me buy. Hard to find, but still cheaper than practicing with 9mm.

10. LongarmoftheLaw

Very true. Whenever I have a new .22, I buy a bunch of different boxes of ammo (50 rnd box, not brick) and just shoot groups with each one to see what the best outcome would be. The Eley Standard with which I shot that group was consistently best with that rifle (and also with my dad's old Mossberg 152, interestingly enough) so I was often able to get similar results to what you see.

I was able to shoot spent .22 casings with boring reliability with that rifle at 50m using Eley Standard ammo.

Last edited by LongarmoftheLaw, Jun 2, 2015
  11. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

First, *everyone* should have a .22.

If you're concerned about ammo availability, just buy something that consumes it slowly:

[​IMG]

12. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

if you want to "tune" your barrel to the ammunition you have, instead of searching for the ammunition it prefers, a simple tuner can be made to change the barrel harmonic vibration... a section of aluminum round stock and pinch bolt... shoot a group, and move the tuner incrementally... my STC 10/22 changed from around 2 1/2" groups (10 shots) at 100yd to under 1" with non match grade high velocity WinSuperX

[​IMG]

Highbinder, stargazin, ran23 and 2 others like this.
  13. nitaliano

nitaliano Loaded Pockets

I agree with the others who have stated that everyone should have one 22lr, cheap gun, cheap ammo can't go wrong there!

14. jmbriggs

jmbriggs Loaded Pockets

He that doesn't have a 22 should sell his garment and buy one. It can put food on the table and give you enjoyment when you go to the range. I cycle through ammo when I find it but I insure there is no fewer than 10 rounds of 22 ammo in my ammo supply at any given time.

15. LongarmoftheLaw

[​IMG]
    Apologies for the crappy photo; the battery was low so the flash wouldn't function. I may replace it with a better photo later. The upper rifle is the Cz452 and the lower is the Mossberg 152, which is a blowback semi auto my dad bought at Eaton's department store when he was 13 years old. Oh my how times have changed (for the worse)

By way of correction, the scope on the Cz is actually a coptics 2-7x with an adjustable objective. Awesome scope for the money.

16. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Mass LTC A here...

Short answer, yes. Get many .22's.

the Ruger 10/22 is one of my favories. I have several pistols in .22, but just a 10/22 for a rifle. I am planning on making a dedicated .22 out of a polymer lower I have. And a Henry lever action .22 is on my short list.

stargazin, ran23 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Of course everyone should have a 22. Like someone else here said, get something that consumes it not quite as fast, like a nice bolt action.

.22 is by far my favorite round to shoot with CZ my rifle of choice. I'd put my chopped and suppressed 452 or integrally suppressed 455 up against rifles 2 and 3 times their price in terms of accuracy.

My bug out rifle is a 10/22 takedown chopped to 16" and threaded for my can. It can hold its own at 50 yds too.

I'd also have to recommend a decent pellet rifle and learning the nuances of shooting one accurately. You never know, one day there might be panic buying of pellets and pellet rifles because it's all we got left.

18. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

Find yourself an old Nylon 66.

19. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

The Nylon 66 are beginning to get expensive. People are collecting them.

20. premise

premise Loaded Pockets

Yeah, but I see the Mohawk Brown models in the 200-250 range, which I would happily pay if I needed one.

Cobra 6 Actual, Brules and vegassprky like this.