1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Worst Knives Made

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Eyego, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

Add me to the list of Gerber multi tool haters. I've had two of their mini pocket multi tools (one standard, one of the Bear Grylls) and both plier reinforcement mechanisms failed. They are really well designed, but poorly made. I have one of their larger tools in my edc bag and it's holding up ok, but I rarely use it and it does feel flimsy. I'll be replacing it sooner or later with something more robust.

Gnarly likes this.
  2. alkaiser

alkaiser Loaded Pockets

i bought one of those $1 walmart folders for cutting bait (usually frozen squid) for pier fishing. i didn't want any of my nicer knives to get a fishy smeller when i get too lazy to clean the knife.

it's worked pretty well (had it for 2 years now). i had to sharpen it, but for that task it's been well worth my $1 haha

3. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

I did exactly the same thing! I don't want worm guts on any of my good knives. The irony is that I got IDed when I was buying the knife. You have to be 16 to buy a knife like that in Iowa. I was 26 at the time, with a concealed carry permit and a Beretta in my waistband. :D

vegassprky likes this.
  4. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Gotta say it...Gerber Paraframe. I just hate that knife. I was gifted several and have since given them all away.

5. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 Loaded Pockets

You got that right!

BullRome likes this.
  6. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Dude! That is one wicked looking bottle opener!

Mighty Max likes this.
  7. darknyght00

darknyght00 Loaded Pockets

I need one of these...to open letters...right, letters... (there really needs to be a suspicious looking shifty eyed smiley option)

Mighty Max likes this.
  8. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

Same here. I gave mine to mooshi. Still not sure if that was an act of generosity or not. :)

Hope she gets some use out of it. I sure didn't.

K1CKtheCHICKEN likes this.
  9. SAKinator

SAKinator Loaded Pockets

There seems to be some people who do not like 440 steel, I though Victorinox made their swiss army knives with that kind of steel? I do not know the difference between different kinds of steel, so I am wondering what the problem with that kind of steel is, or maybe I am confused and swiss army knives use a different kind of steel. :D Also, the worst knife I ever had was a Gerber Bear Grylls. It came dull as a butter knife, and even with the sharpmaker it takes diligent work to keep it sharp enough to open packages.

10. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

Not the worst knife by far, but actually one of my favorites with a stupid problem. The mushroom shape of the thumb stud on the buck nobleman gets caught on the pocket a lot, just poor attention to detail I think but other than that it is a good knife

11. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

STEEL SNOB ALERT! STEEL SNOB ALERT! DON'T READ ANY MORE POSTS ON THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU WANT SO START SPENDING UNGODLY AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON KNIVES.

12. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

440C (Chinese 9Cr18Mo) is a good steel, possibly better than the 8Cr13Mov used in budget Spyderco knives, 440A and B are less so, losing their edge a bit quickly (at least according to stories I've read, I don't own any myself) from the Android knife blade program, 440B has more carbon and much more chromium than 8Cr13Mov, so it might be tolerable, but 440A has less carbon than 8Cr13Mov so is definitely worse. Let's not get started on 420HC.

If you're looking for a budget knife, 440C, 8Cr13Mov, or AUS8 are the minimum grades you should be looking at.

Victorinox use 1.4110 steel which is probably inferior to 440A, but then people don't buy SAKs purely for the knife. They're tools which come with a knife blade. The blade is designed to last under harsh conditions and sharpen easily even if all you have is a stone that you found lying around.

Last edited by Freman, Mar 26, 2013
    SAKinator likes this.
  13. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I ran into the same trap as a kid with the exact same knife...

14. SAKinator

SAKinator Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the information! I did not know that they had different grades of 440.
    I'm not really looking for a new knife. Ok, that may be a lie, I'm seriously considering the Spyderco Sage 2 and a ton of over knives, but I was really just interested in whether or not Victorinox uses good steel in their knives. I would never consider a SAK to be a bad knife, I cannot imagine that they would use low quality steel!

15. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Victorinox don't use low quality steel. It's German. What they do use is steel for a purpose. Are Swiss Army Knives for fighting with? No. The blade is the cutting tool in a multi-tool. Their function defines the steel used. High corrosion resistance, so they last under harsh conditions. Taking a fine edge, so they're good at cutting, but a little on the soft side so they're easy to resharpen with anything that comes to hand. Of the knives I've sharpened so far, my Vics take a nice edge the quickest and do indeed come up like a razor. Now I know they won't stay that way if I get down to serious cutting, but then I slap them back on the sharpener and they're sharp again.

SAKinator likes this.
  16. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

As someone who also loves 440C, I'd agree with the recommendation to never buy a blade marketed only as 440. It means at best they don't care to advertise that they're using the worst of the 440 grades, and at worst the darn thing's made of tin.

Re: topic, can I just keep on hating on Cold Steel without ever having used one?

Ok, ok. How about the Kershaw External Toggle, as winner of most dangerous safe knife ever? The lock might be secure, but it's still gonna bite you.

Or my personal pet peeve, a cheap, righty-only knife (14650) to go with a top-shelf, ambidextrous handgun. (Let's add that the knife manufacturer is famous in part for their ambidextrous lock.)

17. zactimusprime

zactimusprime Loaded Pockets

Alright time to add my two cents, whether any really cares or not.
    So far I agree with most of you.
    Gerber=POS
    I've owned a number of different models and I only have two left. (many of them broke or I gave to my brother cause I'm quite a knife snob.)
    The two I continue to keep are my Gerber 06 FAST Tanto. It was my first assisted open knife so it holds a special place in my collection. The other is the first BG fixed blade they came out with, I was given it as a gift so now it just stays in the sheath in a little cubby thing on my drivers side door.
    Now my most recent problem with Gerber was I bought was the Instant, now I bought it with the intention that if I beat on it than whatever im only out $50. Within the first week all the screws for the pocket clip fell out and I lost the actual clip. So then it rode in the car as a beater to cut the tops of cans or bottles to make spitters. Eventually gave it to my girlfriend so she would have something on her after some incidents that happened outside her work.
    Oh and I love those little wally world knifes for fishing. I also use them to practice the different designs for etching.
    what.... what the... what is that? Its an abomination.

18. FrostBladeHD

FrostBladeHD Loaded Pockets

Could be something to do with them being bought by Fiskars?

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  19. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

20. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

imo, all their new stuff bites.. the older stuff was pretty good when made in the USA.. I have two Gerber mt600's and an old pst folder from about 20 years ago.. and they're still rocking hard.