1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Worlds Best Hats

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Red Horn, Apr 21, 2008.

1. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

Nimbus Sombrero from Outdoor Research

2. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

:worthless:

3. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

My ancestry is so Northern European that I don't dare go out for more than half an hour in summer without a sun hat.

4. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

5. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I like the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero, Helios Sun Hat and Pocket Bucket. 100% satisfaction with all these hats. O0

6. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

Wow, this thread has some endurance!

For EDC, I rotate through what has become quite a collection of ballcaps, mostly FlexFit with one "patrol" cap to appease my wife. Every ballcap immediately gets the top button removed with pliers. I used to think that ballcaps were too fratboy for me, but I like the combination of utility and broad "passability", as well as being able to clip my CountyComm SOLED to the brim.

For 3-season outdoor use and hiking, I use the same tired old stripped-down Outdoor Research Sonora Sombrero. Mine is an older model that seems to be heavier nylon than current production -- with 3 rough thru-hikes on it (PCTx2 + CDT) it hasn't so much as popped a stitch. I'm attached to it, but the brim is a hassle in the wind and droopy when soaked. The thick nylon stays wet for a while. My wife's Columbia Bora Bora boonie is lighter, meshier, and seems good as jsmitty1967 observes. She has the same brim issues though. Actually, my motivation for clicking this thread was to find ideas for the perfect boonie.

For serious winter use I have a thick fleece Patagucci beanie. After my 7-year stint in the ski industry, I have two milk crates full of summer melt-out and parking lot finds which provide a variety of fleece and knit acrylic beanies for around town. Our office gets cold so many of us "younger" guys will rock the low-profile beanie at our desks all winter long. In Tahoe, year-round beanie wear was not uncommon. I miss it. There is always a beanie in my EDC bag.

My Dad had a mole removed recently and suddenly got into sun hats. He jumped on the Tilley wagon and can't say enough about them. I appreciate a good botique product and a good company as much as any of us, but the Tilleys are just a little too stodgy-white-guy for me. ;D I'm no fashionista, but I just can't deal. :shrug: I have the same issue with zip-off pants, pockety vests (if you're not fishing or taking pics), and cape-back "adventure travel" shirts. More power to you guys who do -- they look good on you!

7. Loogie

Loogie Empty Pockets

I agree, this is an excellent thread!

When at Greenfield Village, I noticed a hat display in their gift shop. There were hats which greatly resemble the Bora Bora. They were the "Big Brim Supplex Hat with Mesh Sides" by Dorfman Pacific for $20. Quite a nice feeling hat. The brim seemed a bit stiffer than the Bora.

They ran small--the large fit me best, and I wear 7-1/4 (I like a slightly loose fit because you can cinch it a bit with the drawcord). I nearly purchased one because I get 10% off but held off because still testing the Propper boonie, not sure yet how it will work out. Strangely, I wasn't wearing the Propper that day.

My initial thoughts on it are that it is VERY well made, and likely durable. Fit is nice, but it kinda makes my forehead itch.
    Not sure how cool it is (Propper said the 100% cotton is the coolest they make). Sometimes it feels cooler than my Outdoor research Sun Runner, other times it seems warmer.

More to come...

8. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

I have a Barmah hat for staying in the sun; in rain it's hood + baseball cap.

9. Loogie

Loogie Empty Pockets

Just an FYI, I was in Cabela's a couple of days ago and their Gore-Tex boonies were on sale for $15. I nearly bought one, but wasn't sure as to how well it truly breathed (there are no vents on it), and the brim was pretty floppy.

10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I generally only wear a hat for sun or rain and ball caps rarely ever fit me.

But right this minute I'm wearing a ball cap with Paul Kim's initials on it and it fits me quite well. I got the hat with an Icon 1AA light.

We are going to a family reunion tomorrow and many of our Polish relatives are hat wearers so I'll fit right in.

11. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

:include:

Cheers,

Matt

12. panpanx

panpanx Empty Pockets

I was looking for hats and I came across these hats. This was the only post on the forums that I could find that had any relation to those hats. Does anyone have any experiences with these hats? They look really cool, and I love the look of them, but I am not sure if its worth it, or I should get something else? Does anyone suggestions for hats that are similar in style?

13. ghost-57

ghost-57 Empty Pockets

Those look pretty functional.

14. BioHazardx

BioHazardx Loaded Pockets

There is nothing like a Tilley hat. Orvis makes one that is close but for a few $$ more - you get the best and it will last forever. Love that I can drop it in the washing machine, with anything else from jeans to t-shirts and it comes out clean and otherwise untouched. Great hat.

15. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I have two Tilley's. The T3 I've had for over 10 years and it still looks great. I also have an Airflo that I bought because I thought it would be cooler in the Tucson summers. It isn't. I would not hesitate to get another T3 if I lost mine.

Chad

16. wing-nut

wing-nut Loaded Pockets

Henschel Breezer. well made, cool in the heat, crushable, a little more form than the boonies and sombreros and usually you can find it for less than $20.

17. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Just ordered a hemp Boonie for when im camping

18. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

:dance:

19. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I took an airflow to Hawaii last month to shade my dome. It really wasn't cooler than the T3 and was rather shapeless and floppy. I will stick with a more structured one in the future.

20. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I just took my Goodwill Tilley T5 camping and though it feels a bit big and it's not the exact brim size I want, I'm keeping it. It's all dirty from the trip, and I like that. I also like the largeness, I wore a Under Armour beenie under it when it was 40F at night, or a bandana/Buff under it when it was getting chilly. I think the extra roominess will be a good thing for hot days as well. Sometimes a hat just finds you, I guess...