1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Worlds Best Hats

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Red Horn, Apr 21, 2008.

1. GreatBlueWhale

GreatBlueWhale Loaded Pockets

I received a Filson insulated tin cloth packer hag as a gift last week. I've enjoyed using it this week. Now I'll have to get one of them for warm weather wear.
    However, my favorite hat for the last 25 years or so has been my Stetson driving cap.

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

New Era Official San Francisco Giants ballcap. Does that count?

Utilitarian Black AND Orange!

3. Mare of Earth

Mare of Earth Loaded Pockets

I have two Tilley hats. One with mesh at the top, and one that has an oblong brim - wider in front and back and looks a bit like a safari hat. The mesh one is a lighter fabric, and the oblong one is great for rain wear - it absorbs what it doesn't shed and keeps your head dry. Love them - probably one of the best investments I have ever made.

My dad picked up a Tilley at Unclaimed Baggage that was made specifically for Canada Post workers (T3 I believe). :)

4. DrSpeed

DrSpeed Loaded Pockets

I have several Akubra hats (all those Aussies can't be wrong!), fantastic hats and great value for money.

5. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

X2 on Akubra...I have a couple and they are awesome!!!

6. Masteroffajitas

Masteroffajitas Empty Pockets

ACU boonie hat is my favorite, I wear it hunting, fishing and in the rain, it breathes very well.

7. davkt

davkt Loaded Pockets

Tilley LTM6 for the summer and either a no brand Aussie leather hat or polar buff for the winter is my choice.

8. horatio

horatio Empty Pockets

I bought a Tilley LTM5 hat about 6 weeks ago. I love it. It came with a foam thing in the top of it. I took it out. Do people leave it in usually? I didnt see the purpose except to make te top rigid.

Thanks

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I removed the foam thing from my T3, but left it in the TH4, because the brim drooped even more without it. It seems to help the hat to keep its shape a little better. But it's your hat, so wear it whichever way you prefer.

10. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Keeps it afloat when it goes overboard, offers small level of protection in case struck from above, helps keep you from getting wet in the rain and yes keeps shape of crown.

11. rlocock

rlocock Empty Pockets

Tilley T3,worth its weight in gold ;D

12. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Got a natural and a olive green one. Both have been through the washer a few times and only gain character with age. Togherther with my hemp TH5 and khaki mesh LTM8 I have all my spring/summer/fall head wear covered.

13. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

Gotta love the Tilly hats. Have a couple. Right now my favorite is an LT5. Lightweight, comfy & breathable. My old T3 isn't really suitable for wearing out in public anymore, but I still wear it sometimes.

14. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

I have been coveting a Tilly since My Dad showed me his (which is a tad too small for me or I would have confiscated it long ago). I do plan on a T3 in my future.

I will say though that someone turned me on to "The Real Deal" hats which are made of recycled canvas tarps. I have been interrested in one of these as well. http://realdealbrazil.com/

15. MagicDot

MagicDot Loaded Pockets

..those "Real Deal" hats look pretty interesting.. ..have you purchased one yet?

16. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

No. Honestly I'm still wearing a boonie hat that snaps up to Aussie style I got at WallMart for ~$10 or so. It's on my wish list though.

17. HattZ

HattZ Empty Pockets

Most of the time I find myself wearing some form of Panama hat, ranging from cheep $40-50 dollar ones when deployed to much nicer ones back in the states where there isn't a chance of it blowing off, or being destroyed. A Panama isn't as robust as a Tilley, but keeps the sun off just as well, lets in a breeze, can be doused in water for some free AC... As for robust nature, it's straw, I've blown out or lost three in a year deployment, and I’ve had made one last the whole deployment.. so far I'm six months in on this one and the front of the brim is just starting to crack. A new layer of super glue applied the inside tends to hold of breaking for another month or so. Going to try using shoe goo to hold it together at some point, see if the flexible nature works better for a hat brim.

I think it's more important to find a hat that fits the personality as well as functionality, it's one of the few places where I think form does have a significant say.

18. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I bought a Columbia Omni Tech Booney earlier this year and have been wearing while camping and doing other outdoor things. I really like it. It is cooler and keeps my head drier than my Tilley T3, while giving me just as much protection from the sun. It also dries faster after a rain storm than the Tilley, which is a big plus in humid weather.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Luckily at my age I still have plenty of hair so I don't bother with a hat in summer. For winter thopugh I have an American made Fiesta 100% pure wool crushable and water repellent Stetson. I have travelled with it in my suitcase in the cargo hold and it comes out and goes back into shape every time. Nine years ago it cost me about $80 in N Cal.For anyone like me who prefers something more traditional, I can recommend one of these.

20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I don't really wear hats or jewelry.

That said when I used to go to Airshows and when I ride the mower I wear a cloth camo boony.

In light rain it helps keep my glasses clean too.

Tillys look great, but unless I find a cheap one at a garage sale I'll never own one.