1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Worksharp tools

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by Bulldog87, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I have a bit of a pocket knife and hunting knife collection. I call it a collection as I don't know what else to call it. (I try to use them all.) For years I didn't really spend much time on sharpening but in the past year or two I have spent more time working on the skill. I've used a bunch of sharpening systems and I have really been pleased with Worksharp products overall.

I've used Arkansas stones, Japanese whetstones, diamond stones, cheap and expensive stones of all sorts. Plus the Lansky sharpening system etc.

Tonight my Benchmade Bugout was looking a bit dulled and I used my handy Bench Top Angle Set Knife Sharpener to quick and good effect. The S30v seems to have a reputation of being hard to sharpen but I set the angle at 17.5 and used the ceramic side only. It was freshened up in no time.

I've used the pocket tool as well in my hunting pack and it's a handy tool!

Are any of you using the Worksharp products? What else are yall using to get a good clean edge? [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nick4305 likes this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I have all sorts of stones. From Naniwa to DMT diamond stones. It's all free hand, though. I like to do it like that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

3. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have acquired a few sharpening tools over the years. Started out in my teens with a Smith's 2-stone sharpening kit (5" medium bench stone and a smaller 4" fine arkansas stone stored under it). Something from WalMart, probably less than $15 when I bought it. For a long time I didn't make an effort to really sit down and learn freehand sharpening, and trying to run a blade down the little arkansas stone felt like inviting a cut because there's just not much to hold onto, so I more or less gave up on it. Kept the stones but didn't really use them.

Dissatisfied with my inability to freehand, I moved on to the deluxe 5-stone Lansky kit. It does reasonably well on smaller knives, like my slipjoints, but I have some trouble with folding knives when the blades get much above 3". Seems like I just can't maintain the proper angle when the blades get any bigger. But for the smaller knives it does well enough. Or did; I don't really use it anymore.

Given my apparent limitations with the Lansky, and my growing collection of larger fixed blade knives (6"+), I finally broke down and bought the Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener. I am still learning how to use it properly, as I can't seem to get my smaller knives very sharp with it, but it works great on my bigger fixed blades, axes and hatchets. My favorite camp hatchet has a nice appleseed grind with an almost-mirror finish thanks to that tool.

Eventually I went back to the bench stone kit and, using a damaged junk knife I had laying around, forced myself to sit down and learn how to freehand sharpen. I'm not terribly good at it, but I can get a serviceable edge on most blades under 5" now. Anything bigger and I go to the Ken Onion.

Also, I keep a Smith's DCS4 Diamond Combination Sharpener in my truck emergency bag as a field-ready means to resharpen the two knives in the bag (Becker BK9 and BK16), as well as a small Buck-labeled diamond pocket sharpener (the pencil-looking kind) in my EDC bag. I have a Lansky puck for my axes too but it doesn't see any use: I get better edges, faster, with the Worksharp.

So it more or less works out like this:
    Knives up to 5" - freehand bench stones
    Knives over 5", axes, etc - Worksharp
    Field-sharpening anything - Smith's DCS4 and/or Buck pocket sharpener

4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Learning free hand sharpening takes a lot of time and patience. On top of that it takes time to get a good edge on your blade. No shortcuts. But... It is very satisfying doing it this way.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk