1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Workplace Kno Knife Policy

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by c0pperheaded, Oct 28, 2019.

1. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Seconded. Knife Rights is inexpensive to join and has had a number of huge legislative successes. If you carry a blade, please consider joining at https://kniferights.org/.

Disclosure: I'm a member of Knife Rights and also volunteer as a moderator at the affiliated Equipped To Survive Forums.

2. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I've worked in one company that was strictly no knife, and they even had a walk-through metal detector, to protect against theft (we were an electronics company where several employees were charged and convicted with the theft of several hundred thousand dollars of computer components). They didn't hit you going in, though. I accidentally left a SAK Tinker in my coat pocket once, and the secretary freaked out when I went to return it to my car. After changing security guards, I started bringing a SAK Classic on my keychain, and nothing more. It passed through without question, so that's what I brought. Being an office drone, I didn't need any specific cutters to do my job. I had scissors; that was enough. Before the change, I tried pocket tools (PTx Wrench), scissors, etc, and they were all toys. Didn't use them, just fiddled with them. They weren't regularly useful, and I'd have to really try to invent a reason to carry them. So I stopped. The only one of the bunch I liked were Slip n Snip scissors. I'll still carry them where I can't have my Classic, I like them so much.

These days, ten years later, I've changed companies a few times. None have had knife-specific restrictions, and I use whatever I want. Most of the time, it's to pop the plastic strap on a carton of printer paper. Since I find large amounts of stuff in my pockets uncomfortable, my work EDC has been a Gerber EAB and a hankerchief and my wallet. The Classic is still on my keys, but those are in my desk. There's a Nightcore Tube on my badge in case of power outage, which has been known to happen when the Santa Ana winds are up. Most other cutting can be handled by the paring knife I keep in my lunch bag, or the box cutter in my desk. They work just fine for food and packages, and no pivots to get gummed up.

c0pperheaded and Tony Sal like this.
  3. c0pperheaded

c0pperheaded Empty Pockets

Ok, I have been gone for a while and am just getting back to the real world.

Somebody asked about what I would be using the tool for. Well, basically everything that that I used the cadet for but with a good prying tool and no blade. The Griffen tool is ok, but it’s just not for me. Heavily leaning towards the Lynch NW All Access Pass v2.5.

The no knife policy is dumb, but I understand it. They had a bunch of injuries the last few years from company issued knives. Kinda impressed they gave out Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue knives. After they confiscated them, they gave them to the Boy Scouts. So yes, they took knives from grown men and gave them to children.

4. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I work in a very anti gun/knife environment, but the familiar to everyone red scaled SAK seems to not turn a head and fly under the radar. In fact I’ve encountered several antis carrying one of their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Doesn't seem like the OP is around much, but since the thread surfaced again, I can at least chime in and say that the Leather H&T uses is quite flexible and will stretch out to fit larger items than you could imagine when the thing was brand new.

I have a card caddy (I think...?) It's one of the smaller, if not the smallest pocket organizer he makes. It took some time for it to expand and hold all the cards I wanted to fit in it, but in time I got there. Tried a couple of different tools as well, and it's quite capable. The only thing is, and it's pretty obvious, if you put in a larger item for a while, it's not always practical to go back to the smaller item as it will be a loose fit and might fall out.

Have to admit it didn't really take the place in my daily routine that I had planned. It's one of those things that play out better in your head than in reality I guess. As such I haven't used it as much, but I do from time to time, and found some uploaded photos

[​IMG]
    Card caddy w/ SAK Mini Champ and Maratac AAA

[​IMG]
    Card caddy w/ Maratac AAA and Maratac / CC small flat head tool.

Just as a P.S. That flat head tool is quite versatile for its size. It's obviously well suited for slotted screws, but it has sharp corners (which could be improved to be even sharper) that easily rips through tape and opens packages, and, best of all, if you flip it around it will easily pop open a cold beer.
    It will not award you any fashion points or be the answer to all problems, but for its weight, size and price - it punches pretty well

Tony Sal likes this.