1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Workhorse Folder

Discussion in 'Knives' started by superpacker, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Don’t make me remember the swear words I used, putting Cuscadi scales onto my full size BM Griptillian. To wiggle the pivot screw back in place took wha felt like ages.

But else, yeah, I don’t see while dismantling a knife. Wipe and rinse off whatever is on them and shake them off. That’s where an open construction and a simple lock mechanism come in handy.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

2. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

You should have no concern about D2 corroding, it is near enough to stainless that is makes no difference. Indeed, I personally consider it effectively stainless.

Yes, under the right conditions, it will rust - but so will most every common knife grade SS. If you are planning to use it in a highly corrosive atmosphere (salt water coastal), then you need to change your focus to a different grade of steel entirely, say N680 or similar.

As far as specific knife recommendations, I would strongly suggest a mid-sized fixed blade over a folder. Much more robust, easier to handle with gloves - and more to the point - much easier to clean and maintain.

Perhaps something in Benchmade's H2O collection. I see that their 112 fixed blade is priced right atround $100.

3. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I am a big fan of the spyderco Tenacious for hard use and glove use. And it is like $40. Haven't had rust issues with the tenacious down here in houston but the Spyderco salt series are hard to beat also.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

And WD40 them. Liberally.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Why would you put a chemical solvent on your knife instead of for example a food safe oil?

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Some people like digestive challenges

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

7. Spydieman13

Spydieman13 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Because Water Displacement formulation No 40 ensures your springs etc don't rust.

Oh and I like the taste of WD40 on my food. Adds flavour.

huntnow likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Delica would be great as always and the Rat is one of the more robust knives for the money that I have had.
    I would actually get a combo edge Delica or Salt AND the Rat and have great knives for every need without a lot of cash in them!

10. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

I love my Endura. I have the Emerson and it easily opens out of the pocket. I like my AK-47 also not as easy or a fluid as the Endura but works well. But of course folders are not as easy or robust as fixed blades so if you dont need a folder get a fixed blade. How dirty do you think your knife will get while your doing your disaster relief stuff?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. Spydieman13

Spydieman13 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

13. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I can see reviving an old thread... But to reply to a 2 1/2 year old question, that's another question.
    I really hope the OP has figured it out already.
    But, I could be wrong.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

As long as its' active again, I have always wondered why the importance of being able to "disassemble for maintenance". I have a Buck 112 that I bought in 1975 that I carried daily for better than 10 years while in the Army and in civilian life as a LEO. When it needed it I flushed it with hot water, blew out the water with compressed air then oiled. My favorite knife I carried as an LEO was a Benchmade AFCK that was cleaned the same way. I have owned it since 1997-8 and have never taken it apart and it still works great.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.