1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Workhorse Folder

Discussion in 'Knives' started by superpacker, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:18 PM.

1. superpacker

superpacker Loaded Pockets

I need Recommendations for a folder to be used in disaster relief environments. Here's my criteria:
    1. $100 or under
    2. 3" blade
    3. Can be easily taken apart and reassembled for maintenance
    4. Easily to open and close with work gloves.
    5. Preferably open back - but not a must
    Right now the front runner seems to be the Steel Will mini Cut Jack - a little concerned about the corrosion of the D2 - but very interested

2. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

3. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I personally would pick the Cold Steel Recon 1.
    It is under $100 (with their new steel, it's almost $100. I paid about $50 for the old version), It is a little larger that you wanted with a 4" blade (they made a 3" blade but has since been discontinued), Can be taken apart as easily as any other folder if you have a torx driver, Very easy to open and close with gloves, no open back, has a blade coating to help prevent corrosion.
    I don't know how their new steel is, I have the old AUS-8 version which has turned out to be great. And I like the super strong Triad Lock.

kye4some and pathwinder14 like this.
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If you want something that’s easy to take apart, look at the CRKT Homefront. There are several models, but the blade length is 3.5“. There seems to be a love-hate thing going on about it. Everything between ground breaking and gimmicky.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

May i als why it needs to be a folder? Getting a fixy avoids a whole bunch of issues; no need to take apart for maintenance, no fumbling about if you wear gloves and generally stronger all around.

6. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Benchmade mini griptillion

7. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

+1
    The Mora Eldris in one of the bright colors, or the Craft Robust (3.65" blade) would seem ideal to me for such duty.

8. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel Mini AK 47.

Way under $100, three inch blade, Emerson wave opener (opens easy with gloves since it opens as you draw it out of your pocket), easily taken apart with normal torx drivers, closed back, triad lock, and solid aluminum striker in pommel (great for cracking glass or bits of rock). Its handle really locks in your hand. Its blade is all belly.

A Large AK 47 will probably better fit into gloved hands. However it has a 3.5 inch blade. It would also be closer to $100.

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Hard to take apart and clean up in the field.

10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel is en excellent choice. If it should be more civilian friendly, the (mini) Lawman comes in mind. Not sure about the dismantling though. But I guess there is no need for it rinse and shake off. Those are tanks.

11. Grok

Grok Empty Pockets

How about a Kershaw Cryo 2; its a great knife. :)

12. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Cold steel makes a bombproof folder, hard to beat. I have a Older Recon 1 and love it. My only other recommendation would be a DpX Heist 2.0 its my overall top choice w a full list of features:
    Locking ability to keep from accidentally disengagement.
    Wave feature
    Glass breaker
    Deep carry clip
    D2 steel
    Bottle opener
    Wire stripper
    Thick blade
    Bit driver slot[​IMG]

And an open back
    [​IMG]

#12 kye4some, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM
  13. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

Ontario RAT 2.

A coworker ask for a knife recommendation earlier this week. Not expensive, good all-around blade, 3 inch max (we live in Los Angeles, which has a 3 inch limit). I couldn’t think of anything better than the RAT 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leigh_ratcliffe likes this.
  14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes, but... the assisted opening is nothing you need or want in the field, IMHO.

15. plumberroy

Okay????? it is not what I consider hard to disassemble but I do fix things for a living

16. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Rat2 was also my immediate throught. Its also sufficently inexpensive that you can also purchase two for $100 and have change for some other bits.
    Personally, if its for disaster relief work I would give serious consideration to buying the half serrated version. Could be doing a lot of rope and strap cutting under those circumstances.

ThaMac likes this.
  17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I vote either an Ontario Rat 1 and a US made Ka-Bar fixed blade of your choice or three Rat 1s...

They do make a Rat 1 in D2 now for not much more than the AUS8 version. It's simple, open back, has a good linerlock, is comfortable, cuts well, and is inexpensive.

ThaMac likes this.
  18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Really? In a rough environment, the little omega spring and the small lock part? Not ideal. Other lock mechanisms are easier to assemble, when your hands are stiff from the cold and wet.

But I admit I am getting old and my eye sight and fine motor skills are getting worse and worse, no kidding. That said, it sucks getting old. On every level.

Adahn likes this.
  19. plumberroy

Like I said it may be me I fix things with small springs and screws almost daily small pneumatic valves medical gas stuff etc . I fix stuff for a living and am wired different too
    I carry a 2ft x 2ft bandana a place to work on things with small parts is one of its many uses
    Actually I have never felt the need to totally tear down a knife in the field
    A cold steel pocket bushman is about as simple as it gets to tear down but is to much blade for O.P.

20. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

On my benchmade i just pull the blade pivot and leave the locking bar and omega springs where they are. Clean the blade, washers and insides of the handle, put it all back together and call it a day. Might not work the same on all benchmades tho.

I would however still recommend a fixed blade.