1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Workbench essentials

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by BrendanH, Oct 17, 2017.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

More than this if this will be in a common space as suggested I wouldn't want it to look too good really!

I loves me some KREG for sure but it is not one of the first things I would suggest?

2. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I agree that lap joints are a better bet than kreg joinery for a work bench, my design has both, just to hide the screw heads. However if that is not an issue, just screwing through is a great and cheaper alternative. Kreg screws can be pricey...

All that said I feel like the smaller Kreg jig is a great piece of kit, and I have found many uses for mine that easily outweigh the cost.

Half lap joints would be even better, but the added work of creating them may not be worth it...

I was looking at my bench last night, I need to move it slightly, and decided to add some bracing. I will take pics and post in the next week or so.

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Like i said, any joinery tool is only worth it if you plan to use it for any real use anyways. I would never recommend it to anyone building a bench, if you are just gonna work on bikes or electronics for example any wood joinery tool will be left collecting dust and is a pure waste of time and money.

All you need is a bunch of wood, a saw, box with big screws, powered screwdriver (wood glue and wood drill of you want to be fancy),a tape measure, square and water level could be handy to and if you need to affix it to stone or concrete something for that too. It's not rocket science, it's not a beauty contest.

4. BrendanH

BrendanH Loaded Pockets

So to update;

I went with a medium size bench with wooden pegboard and 1 shelf. Cut a hole for the LED lamp, fixed the vice in place and attached a 4 way wide spaced power board to one side.
    Next steps are to add a few hooks at the top to hang the dremel when I’m using the extension piece and I’m still looking for some sort of lockable metal box. Any suggestions?

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would find a used Truck Box and cable it to the Bench or something more immovable if it were me.
    Craigslist is full of nice ones pretty cheap and the bigger the better in the long run I think.
    If you can find a Job Box even better,those things can be really tough to pop open with recessed locks and if cabled down should not go anywhere either.

I leave them on Jobsites all the time and never worry about them.

6. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

If you have room under the bench, you can maybe shove a small rolling lockable tool box to hold your tools more securely and roll it out of the way when working at the bench. Plus the top of it can be used as a second work top to set tools/parts/bolts/etc while working on something.

Since it's underground parking I would consider cable locking the box to a post if one is nearby. Just get a used box from craigslist or a harbor freight one since it's in a shared space. No need for a pricey box (ie snap on, matco, cornwell, etc).

BrendanH likes this.