1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Work Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mike3145, Mar 29, 2014.

1. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I've done some searching and haven't found what I'm looking for and maybe it doesn't exist but I thought I'd ask anyway. I need a light for work - repair and maintenance type stuff. I'm not searching alleys for suspects or engaging the Taliban at 1,000 meters. What I would like:
    • LED
    • Uses readily available, disposable batteries (AA, AAA, etc.). NO rechargeables.
    • Dual light levels. High in the 75-100 lumen range. Strobe not necessary.
    • Small and light enough to hold in my mouth occasionally.
    • Preferably a bright color (e.g., yellow) so I can find it at the bottom of my tool bag. That's been the real challenge so far.
    • Price - I'd like to keep it under $35.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I would probably look at a Preon1/2 or something like an Olight i3s. AAA isn't going to give terrific runtime on high but with an Energizer Lithium Ultimate you will get well over twice the runtime on high without the tendency of leaking like an alkaline. You can buy these cells at most grocery stones and any specialty place that stocks camera stuff like Walgreens, they about 2-3 times the cost of alks but for good reason.

If you don't mind going AA that would be far more capacity and a single-cell light is mouth-able. The closest thing to match the color is a gold Solarforce Z2 and that's a 4-mode tail clicky for like $16. On the 60 lumen level you would prob get a couple hrs on a alkaline, more with an Energizer mentioned above.

If you go the Z2 route assume shipping will take a while buying from Solarforce-Sales. You can prob find one of these from a quicker shopping site like eBay or amazon.

docer likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Get the Fenix E12.
    3 Levels and plenty small and rugged.
    It will run fine on an AA alkaline and if for work it won't have a chance to leak.
    Mine never leak if being used all the time,it is only when left sitting that I have to be cautious of leaking.

Great light for the money.

4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Alkalines don't need a rhyme or reason to leak. While long forgotten it's almost guaranteed I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it, even if daily monitored.

In any situation but moonlight run tests or worst-case cell scavenging there isn't a good reason to use them. On high or even medium modes a LiFeS2 will last at least twice as long for about three times the price.

Realistically checking periodically will minimize the chance of terminal damage. I just hate them and the performance they deliver in the world of primaries is marginal.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hear what you are saying but I don't think I have had any leak that I use every day.

When using lights for work I need them right away and it isn't realistic always to work with better batteries.

It is a risk that I am willing to take and so far have not really regretted but I will say it has only been 30 years or so so I might not have a big enough data sample to be sure yet?

6. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Instead of a flashlight, what about a headlamp? I like the Black Diamonds.I got tired of trying to hold a flashlight in hand / mouth and trying to work on something.

If you 're an REI member, it's their 20% off and rebate time.

I have the same concern about leaking. In the lights I have and don't use much, I keep Lithium batteries in them.

7. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I hear ya and am not trying to bicker :). Just won't trust them in any light I need or care about. A light with leaking cells won't turn on and I can't see in the dark very well.

8. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Today at Walmart I saw a pack of Energizer batteries I think that stated on the pack No Leaking new sealed technology or something. I didn't get a good look at the package as it was from a distance but the lettering was quite large on the pack to make it noticeable.

9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Would be a nice change :)! Although, still hard to get around the few year shelf life, mediocre operating temperature, and marginal current capacity.

keith1234 likes this.
  10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I still wouldn't trust them even with this so called sealed tech. I've had Energizers leak while sitting in a storage container let alone in a light.

Blerv likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Larry Light By Nebo
    • 3 AAA cells
    • 11 Hour Burn Time
    • 60 lumens broad field
    • 180 degree swivel tail clip with magnet (the magnet is usable, but I could just as easily see upgrading it by epoxying 3 mini supermagnets to the clip from the local Home Depot to make it rock solid stable on metal surfaces).
    • 8 LEDs, Generally not a fan of multi-leds, but on this light it works.
    • Available in dark gray/black, blue, red, or yellow body color.

Larry 2
    • 3 AAA cells
    • 6 Hour Burn Time
    • 160 lumens broad field
    • 180 degree swivel tail clip with magnet
    • 12 LEDs & laser pointer
    • Available in dark gray/black, blue, red, or yellow body color.

And a head to head to comparison of the two (I love the conflict of conscience comment).

ATB,
    Sam

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  12. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

A Nebo Redline can be had for around that much... A Google search will bring up some reviews and models... and not break the bank of it ends up missing.

I have one (and a couple cheaper models) that I use frequently. Not sure the lumens ratings are right, but it's a good cheap option that offers some desirable features.

-3 Power Levels of Brightness
    -100% = 220 Lumens - 150 yds - 4 hours
    -50% = 110 Lumens - 65 yds - 8 hours
    -10% = 22 Lumens - 30 yds - 15 hours
    -S.O.S. Mode Click the rear button 4 times to activate the S.O.S. Sequence
    -Defensive Strobe Click the Rear Button 5 times to activate the Emergency Flashing Strobe
    -4x Adjustable Beam Turn the bezel Clockwise for flood light, counter clock wise for spot light.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

--
    B.Haven

13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up trouble with the battery type. Knowing I can be forgetful from time to time, I just wanted a battery I could find anywhere and would be relatively inexpensive. I don't have an objection to, say, a 123a lithium but they tend to be a little pricey unless bought in bulk. Yes, I could keep a set of spares... :(

I like the looks of the Preon 2 but at $50 far more than I want to spend. Some of this work is in "public" spaces so be a little careful of stuff walking off. Last week somebody swiped a $6 utility knife that I left sitting when I went to the bathroom.

I've seen the Larry (or something similar) at a local tool store. Maybe I need to take a second look. I just wonder if the primary light is bright enough but I do like that it comes in colors. A magnetic base would be useful from time to time.

I have a headlight and don't need to "mouth" the flashlight too often and rarely for more than a minute or two.

Thanks everyone for your input!

14. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

Hi, Mike
    I've been using the one version or another of the Romisen RC-G2 as my work light for a year or two.

They use 1AA they are bright enough to light a decent area but not so bright that they make it hard to see the details small enough for pocket carry but big enough to get a grip on.

A google search for Romisen RC-G2 X Cree XP-G2 R5 should turn up a good US source.

Mine have survived being dropped, stepped on,and day to day abuse while working in and around emergency vehicles.

15. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

olight I3 with some orange tape on it lol. I used to do telcom and had to mouth hold flashlights a lot. I wish i had the olight then.

16. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Fenix LD12

17. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

I would go with the Solarforce Z2 in the gold or red color.

- AA x 1
    - 4 modes (120/60/18/4)
    - forward clicky with momentary on
    - only $21 from the bay

Shipping was alot quicker than I expected too. I was very impressed with this light for the price. An interesting thing about this light, is that it goes from high to low. Might be a deal breaker for some and others might like it.

18. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I wish all lights went from high to low.

Revival likes this.
  19. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

I actually like it too. It was a little weird at first. Im bet going from high to low would drive some people nuts though.

20. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

In an emergency i hate that i would have to click from low to high. How does that make any sense?