1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Woohoo!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Stutoffee, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Well, its been a long slog.

I turned up for an interview only to find theyd cancelled the appointment & not told me :rant:, So....the recruitment guy arranges it for exactly one week later, I turn up on time (10mins early, actually) & theyre not ready for me & jeep me waiting for a ruddy HOUR before seeing me.

The interview goes well, even though the Manager quizzes me on ladieswear & ladies fashion (Which I know flip-all about!!) but he likes my answers & tells me that Ive got a good chance of taking a Sales Managers job with them.

The recruitment guy takes afew days to contact me & says he's pretty sure tey want to take me on as an "overhead Manager" (Just an extra Manager, helping out wherever required) but the original two stores where I was being considered for (both local to me) are no longer available.

So....it looks as though its one about 20miles away, oh, well, not ideal but not too bad.

It then takes ANOTHER week for them to get in touch & now it looks as though its ANOTHER store 40 MILES away but theyll pay me an extra £3,000.00 to compensate me for time/travel.

It takes 3 more days to get everything authorised by Managers/Directors etc but today (drumroll please)

THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB

And altough it is rather alot of travelling, its probably only for 3-4months until a vacancy nearer home opens up.

Best of all, its nearly £7000 MORE than I was earning at my LAST job. Woohoo!!

2. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Kudos and congratulations!!

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Congrats!

4. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Congratulations, thats great to hear about your job.

5. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Good stuff, glad to hear the great news. :highfive:

6. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

congrats stu im glad things are looking up for you after ya last store told you they were closing down. im glad you found another job and then that it pays you more. its well deserved!

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

8. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Congrats!
    Now I bet you can think up some EDC stuff to buy with that extra cash...

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

SO many things on the wish list!

I bought a LM Skeletool very cheaply from my closing store & stocked up on other bits n bobs such as Stoves, cookpots, SAKs, flaslights etc but, thinking off the top off my head, I want:-

Becker Necker
    Bark River Bravo Necker
    SOG Tomahawk
    Tadgear OP1 (Found one on here, actually)
    Ritter RSK Mk5

Big screen LCD TV (I know its not an EDC item, but I still want one! ;D)

10. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Nice one!. I bet that's a BIG weight off your mind, congratulations mate.

11. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

It IS a huge relief.
    Was getting abit worried, and getting bored to death of being at home. Ive hardly been going out, just to save money, so today I splashed out on....wait for it.....(another drumroll please):-

Katherine Jenkins new CD "Believe"
    and a Pizza Hut Meat Feast pizza for my lunch

Life in the fast Lane, eh? ;D

12. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

congratulations!

13. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Well. THAT didnt take long to go horribly wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

:rant: :rant: :rant:&*^$£*^%£!!!

I got all my contracts etc today & on checking through everything, the details were different to what I was offered on the phone.

The store is nearly 50miles away from my house (100 mile round trip every day!!!), My contracted hours are 38 p.w. but Im expected to do extra (unpaid) as a Sales Manager & the journey there & back (on very busy roads & motorways) takes about 1.5hrs each way!

Worst of all the pay is about £2500 less than I was told (okay, so Im STILL on £4500 MORE than my last job) but I reckon the cost in petrol of travelling that far will use up a BIG chunk of tat £4500. (Petrol is about £1.08 per litre here!!!!!) & I know my car does about 120miles on £20 of petrol (So....Im guessing about £70-£80 per week on petrol - thats £3.5K-£4K per year!) PLUS the extra wear & tear on my car, oil, tyres etc etc AND I'll end up working for the same crap money I was already on at my last poorly paid job!!

Phoned the guy up, but he's out of the office, so he'll be getting a call tomorrow & Im pretty sure I'll be turning the job down.

It feels wrong to turn the job down, but my family have talked me through it all logically, dont really want me doing lots of extra mileage & lots of extra (unpaid) hours working & travelling.

I was originally promised £18K, but it turns out to be £15.5K (about £13.3K after tax!) AND I'll have to pay at least £3K a year for petrol!!!! PLUS I get to travel for maybe 3 HOURS a day, work maybe 1-2 hours unpaid overtime a day & well, I think Id be bloody mad to take it.

It feels crazy to reject a job but when I SHOULD be £18K & I'll actually be on £15.5K AND having to pay all that money out for petrol (which is only ever getting more expensive!), I think it'd be crazy to accept it, & get tired & fed up from having the piss taken out of me.

Sorry to ramble on abit, but Im so angry & Im just kinda spouting the words onto the PC.

Thanks for all your good wishes & congrats on this one, but I DONT think it was to be!!
    It DID motivate me back into action tonite, though, & Ive applied for 18 jobs on t'internet (3 of them within walking distance of my house and ALL on £15-£16K with MINIMAL travel!!!)

(Lets see what the guy says for himself tomorrow, though!!)

Thanks for listening.

14. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Sounds like the right thing to do, turning down that offer. You should definitely let them know WHY you're saying No, explain how everything you were offered originally as incentive was removed, and that stinks that they strung you along.

15. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

Did you sign the contract with the original conditions or the new ones?

Still that sucks bro, good luck with finding a better job.

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

The original offer was on the phone & the contracts (with the lower offer) arrived later.
    My family have been brilliant about this, sat me down & helped me analyse everthing & made me realise that there's NO point earning a wage when youre having to spend a HUGE chunk of it (and lots of your own "free"time) getting to work.

I'll be okay. Im applying like mad for things, & hey, IF I have Xmas off, there are certainly worse things.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

When you turn down the job, be sure to tell them exactly why you're turning it down. (They know what they tried to pull. But still, let them know what you were promised).

Tell them you'll take the job if they are willing to pay you what you were promised. (Perhaps they'll come up with a funny excuse as to why they tried to screw you over).

18. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Re: Well. THAT didnt take long to go horribly wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate travelling so I would turn it down too, but...

...wouldn't that be tax deductible? I don't know about UK tax system.

19. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Re: Well. THAT didnt take long to go horribly wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly not tax-deductable if youre an employee (rather than self-employed!)

The extra kick is that I'll have paid income tax on the £3-4K & then when I spend it on petrol, the vast proportion of the cost of our horrendously expensive petrol is TAX, too!

I phoned him this morning, but just got his voicemail! :mad:

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Try again tomorrow.