1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Woods satchel/haversack EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Smith28, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

It's pissing down outside. So here's my lightweight, summer day hiking bits and bobs. I use a Maxped PF II during the winter for day hikes but wanted to slim it down into a haversack for summer walks and this is what I've been using, working well so far. Need a new satchel though, the strap on this ones breaking, one I had from back in college!!

One thing I'd love some input on is my tarps. I like to have 2, one for a ground sheet and one for top cover, but am looking to replace one of these with a proper purpose made tarp. Any suggestions on one with a small-ish pack size would be great, I'm looking at the DD solo tarp atm, but would like to hear any other suggestions.
    Also, looking to replace my satchel as I said, I'm thinking army surplus respirator bags and such but any other ideas would be cool. I recently came across this beautiful looking haversack, would love to try one out but don't think I could justify the cost.. yet.. Anyone have any experience of one?

[​IMG]

Main compartment:
    - Tarp x 2 with a huge rubble sack in each
    - Klean Kanteen with Alpkit MyTiMug & Cosy
    - Folding Swedish cup with 2 3-in-1 brews in.
    - Camera in drybag
    - Paracord for my tarp, high vis cord for marking tracks, back up cordage in net bag so I can see what I've got
    - Fenix LD20 with red lens on to protect main lens, and for use if need be..
    - Crook knife
    - Light stick
    - Mini Gorilla pod
    - Bahco Laplander folding saw
    - Oh and a Shemagh on the strap of my bag..

[​IMG]

Small front pocket:
    - DC4 stone with pins to secure down
    - Alcohol gel
    - Pen & Pencil

Small front pocket 2:
    - Opinel no.7
    - Back up firesteel, striker and whistle
    - Spare AA batts
    - Lighter with inner tube

Front medium pocket:
    - Altoids firekit with hexamine tabs for stove
    - Pathfinder Mini inferno - for fun more than anything
    - MyTiMug lid with top cosy
    - Ziplock bags for rubbish and collecting stuff
    - SS Pocket Stove 2012
    - Chinese rip off Strike force, works fantastic, < quarter of the price..
    - Coffeeeeees

Side pocket:
    - Compass & Whistle
    - 1" roll of Gorilla tape

Side pocket 2:
    - First field dressing
    - Fenix headband

Back slip compartment:
    - Folding sit mat
    - Redundant bandanna

Front slip compartment:
    - All weather notepad
    - drawstring bag for collecting stuff
    - Wet ones
    - TP
    - AMK heatsheet blanket
    - Knife/fork/spoon set - can't get on with sporks, if you want a spoon, carry a spoon, that's what I say! I like having proper tools for the job, sporks just seem to have an inadequate, dull fork and an inadequate, shallow, small spoon.. Don't even get me started on the ones that have spoons with prongs at the front.. a spoon with holes in..? :frantic:

[​IMG]

Other than this stuff, always have my neck knife, Leatherman Charge on my belt, Fenix LD10 in my pocket and the obligatory outdoorsman's PSK. Am loving the satchel style carry at the moment, feels less obtrusive than a proper heavy backpack, like I'm just out for a stroll.

Other than the questions I've already put.. just interested on any other ideas to slim down further, although everything here I really do want to keep, or at least keep the capability of. Or for that matter, anything you think I could benefit from adding. And any general thoughts, do you think I'm crazy carrying so much? So little?.. Maybe this was even helpful to someone..!!!

Cheers, Smithy

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just fix..... Led Zeppelin. That is just too cool.......... to not not be using.!!

Halligan, billybag and tonkatoy9398 like this.
  3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just fix.....Zeppelin. Way too cool.......... to not be using!!

I guess I liked it so much I said the same thing almost..:p

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Aug 7, 2012
  4. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Frost River has similar haversacks as well.

5. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Haha yeah you're right it is awesome, pretty beat up but I may try and save it. Not waterproof at ALL though, so would like a waxed canvas or waxed cotton bag.

And those Frost River bags look awesome, like the look of the large field satchel. Thanks for the link.

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Love it. It's great to glean to info from other people's kit ideas :D

Also, another BIG LZ fan here ;)

7. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

How do you find a haversack for longer hikes? I use a Falcon II for hiking and always end up with a sweaty back if it's hot so it could be a good alternative. It sounds like a lot of load on one shoulder though.

I'll get some pics of my Barbour Tarras bag that I use for work. Might be just what you're looking for.

What's the tarp you use as a ground sheet btw?

8. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Aye, that's another reason I changed to a shoulder type bag, I tend to sweat a whole lot in the summer with a full pack on. For more than a daypack I would go to my PFII or for much longer to my Kelty Coyote 80, beast of a pack.

Looking forward to seeing the picks, I know Barbour do some pretty nice outdoor stuff.

Currently, I use two of the space tarp things, tarp on one side, space blanket on the other. Just because they're cheap and I had them. I use one as a groundsheet and one as top cover. Don't actually have a proper tarp but top of my list is the DD solo one. Looks nice.

Btw, nice to see another Brit on here.

9. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets