1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Woods pistol

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Buckeye Jake, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Over the years ,I have done a lot of plain old woods and river walking . In the 60s i carried a marlin 39a.
    But as soon as i could i went to a colt woodsman. Then a browning chalenger. Also various center fire pistols ,manly what i owned at the time .
    But also 30 years ago , i bought a ruger mark 2 stainless . It has become my woods gun of favor .
    Flawless performance . A fine weapon for a nice easy woods day .
    The last 15 years my 32 seecamp has come along . But on my belt is that mark 2.
    The question is does any one else have a woods gun . Why ? Protection? Or just for the h of it .

Jake

2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I've always carried a woods gun, and a lot of the time a city gun. I don't think the world is Mr. Rogers neighborhood, and theres some bad people out there. It is not legal to carry a gun in the state of Maryland where I li ed most my life, so any gin carried had to be a small very concealable one, suited for personal protection. S&W J frame revolver, most times a model 60. in hot summer, a NAA mini .22 revolver in a side pocket of wrangler shorts.

I don't hunt, but I do hike and like to fish, so I'm on deserted river banks and lake shores a lot. There's a small hideout gun on me.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  3. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 35 when hunting or hiking.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  4. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I always carry what is big enough for the biggest 4 legged possibility...........357 mag snub mostly due to possible cougars, black bear, coyotes, and bobcat.

5. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I carried a Ruger 3" SP101 for years in the woods and this Christmas my daughter gave me one of the new Ruger 2.5" 7 shot GP100's and its already impressed me at the range and will be my new companion when I am hiking, camping or hunting.

6. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I forgot to mention why. I live in an area of the world where some of the natives like to grow, and booby trap, marijuana on public land. Never seen it myself but know a few who have. Also, the only good coyote, is a dead one. I'm also likely to be out with my daughter so you know, stranger danger.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  7. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

With the exception of deer hunting I carry a 22 pistol even when I have another gun to hunt with . for years it was a Ruger single six . about 15 years ago I switched to a 2in barreled Taurus 94 in stainless, about a year and a half ago I switched to a Ruger SR22 . I want minute of squirrel @ 50 ft in the smallest reliable package I can carry The SR22 is that right now

8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have carried a gun to the woods since I started driving by myself. Granted, it was a long gun, but I didn't want to subject myself to carnivores and Deliverance without a gun.

If I were to go on a jaunt, I'd probably take my same 9mm pistols. I'm not so much worried about bears as I am meth heads.

I guess ideally, I'd have a .500 Magnum in a vertical shoulder holster and my G19 on my right hip. I really think carrying rifles for the heck of it is a drag.

9. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

This is my EDC and my Woods gun and my house gun. Being familiar with your weapon makes all the difference in the world when it's needed plus it's big enough to handle any two-legged or four-legged threats that I could come across but it isn't very good on squirrels LOL
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mark_Trail, wanderer16 and EZDog like this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I too am impressed with the SR22 it seems about perfect for quick unexpected situations for me and it is so spot on accurate and reliable I often have it in the car with me too.

On the other hand I usually will have a Snub' SP101 in the woods too.
    The biggest bank in the smallest package and plenty easy to handle as long as I practice.

Honorary mention also to the KelTec Sub2K in 9mm,tough to beat short of an actual Sub.
    Not a Pistol clearly but not too hard to carry either!

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I'm more concerned with 2 legged animals than anything else.

Typically, I'll carry my 9mm Shield with 124 +p HST's or Gold Dots.

12. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

My Glock 19 or stainless Ruger blackhawk 357 in either 4.6, 5.5 or 6.5 barrel depending on my mood.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  13. jstert

jstert Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

i woods carry a bond arms derringer without a trigger guard when the weather demands gloves. this one is 9mm, im soda can accurate with it at 15’. my usual trail here is on public land so my biggest worry is an angry, big, loose dog, or a wild animal that comes down from the hills in search of food, or anything rabid on two or four legs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark_Trail, Buckeye Jake and ran23 like this.
  14. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

I carry a SW 629 4" mountain gun (44 mag) filled with alternating lead and snake shot when I am in the swamps of Florida while hunting. Moccasins galore around here. First shot has the snake shot, and that is all I ever needed it for, but you should have seen the size of some of these Moccasins I carry it in a Kenai chest holster.

If I need to conceal carry in the woods on a regular hike, then a SIg P938 gets packed.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  15. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

Most of ther time the woods is my back yard, so whatever I am carrying that day or whatever is out of the safe. Heres a few.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dragon1976 and Mark_Trail like this.
  16. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Not much woods in my near vicinity, but this will work just fine in the desert.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huntnow, Mark_Trail and Buckeye Jake like this.