1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wolff Gun Springs - Any good?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by DetroitMatt, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I have a Heckler and Koch full size USP .40S&W that's about 15 years old. According to the serial number, I think it was made the first year of production. Anyway, since it is getting pretty old, I decided it was time to possibly replace the springs. I bought two mag springs, a recoil spring (which came with a new extra power firing pin spring). One of the mag springs I bought directly from HK. The other mag spring and the recoil spring and firing pin spring from Wolff. I was a little uncomfortable buying aftermarket springs, but the price was right and to be honest HK was out of recoil springs. So I went with Wolff.

My question is are Wolff gun springs any good?

I've installed them and I've got to be honest, they're super stiff! There were upgraded heavier springs available, but I just bought the factory powered ones except for the mag spring which was +10%. The slide now I can barely pull back! I wonder if it's just like having a new gun now where you have to break it in a bit?

If anyone who has experience with Wolff can share their thoughts, I'd greatly apprecaite it. I'm thinking it's just a case of my gun needed new springs more than I though!

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have used Wolff springs in my BHP with great results. I don't know the life span of H&K recoil springs , but if you shot it much at all, 15 years is a LONG time. In a semi-auto the recoil spring really keeps the slide from beating the frame to death
    Wolff springs are generally thought of as the best gun springs around.

3. SigFan

SigFan Empty Pockets

F-ING AWSOME. I have bought directly from them for numerous spring projects (I.E. old military weapons that needed new springs and other stuff). 1 time, and 1 time only, they messed up and sent me the wrong magazine springs. I called and without even questioning me they sent me new ones and actually sent me 2 more than I paid for. When I told them they sent me to many and offered to send them back, they told me keep them. Not to question me was great, I mean I could be an idiot and not know what I'm talking about. They didnt ask for the wrong springs back, but I sent them back anyway, as I had no reason for them.

4. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

They are probably the best. HK probably gets their springs shipped in from Germany but Wolff is the OEM supplier for several premium firearms manufactures.

My guiding principle is change the recoil spring at least every 5,000. If I buy a used gun, I change it right off the bat. My carry gun I change every 3,000 - no point in risking a failure to return to battery over a couple bucks for a spring.

5. Canardly

Canardly Empty Pockets

6. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have used Wolff recoil springs for my Sigs and Keltec P-11 and their magazine springs in some older high capacity S&W mags for my Keltec. All of them have been absolutely flawless at performing their function.

7. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

I used them when I still carried a 1911...they worked fine.

8. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

Thanks everybody! Sounds like I did the right thing. and Canardly, thanks for that link. I was wondering if I should use that extra power firing pin spring or not, and I don't think I will. The trigger pull on the HK is already pretty robust. I like it, but I don't want it to be any heavier than it is.

Looks like waited a bit too long to change that recoil spring though. The difference is VERY noticeable. The gun was still very reliable, but just recently I started to get an odd FTE, one or two stovepipes, and the slide wouldn't lock back on the final round from time to time. Hopefully these new springs will keep it as reliable as it's been known to be. If that was the original recoil spring, Kudos to HK for making one that last 15 years!

From now on though, I'll try to be more religious with my spring maintenance.

9. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Wolff springs are excellent. I have used them for years in many different guns. Changing the recoil spring should be done on a regular schedule. Some say 5000 rounds. For most of us that is a long time. While the pistol may continue to function with a weakened spring, additional stress is being placed on the slide and frame.

Your new recoil spring should have been clearly marked in the package with the spring weight. It is always possible that it was wrong, but I have not had that happen. You probably just got used to a very weak spring.

The real test is in operation. If the recoil spring is too heavy, ejection will be affected. It may fail to completely eject or it may not throw the case far enough. Either will be obvious. On the other side, if your pistol is throwing the ejected case into the next county, your spring is weak or too light.

Also keep in mind different ammo may require a different recoil spring. If you shoot a lot of heavy +P or +P+ ammo, a heavier spring will be correct. If you shoot mostly low power target or range ammo, a lighter spring might be called for.

Mark

10. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

You will be happy with Wolff springs.

11. Nater

Nater Loaded Pockets

Yeah I put a +2 lbs spring in my Beretta and its been flawless, of course it was prior to that anyway.

12. glocker21

glocker21 Loaded Pockets

When I get a new firearm I do two things: New truglo TFO sights and Wollf springs