1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wireless Experts - I know you're here - I have a question.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by bruner, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I know that we have a ton of computer experts here on the forum and I have a wireless question I was hoping you could help me out with.

I have a wireless router attached to my main PC and have it set up so that I can use my PocketPC or Laptop to connect to it for internet access.

What want to be able to do is use my PocketPC to "remotely" control Windows Media Player on my main PC. I would like to be able to select playlists to play as well as use Windows Media Player functions like: Play, Forward, Reverse, etc...

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    Dan
    :)

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

If you're running XP on your laptop, you can use Start Menu->Accessories->Remote Desktop Connection, assuming your main PC is setup to allow remote connections. I don't know enough about PocketPC to know if it supports RDC, but my guess is that it doesn't.

You'll need the full computer name for your main PC (Right click on Start Menu->My Computer, choose Properties, then select the computer name tab). You'll be prompted to log into your main PC, then your laptop will display a full-screen window that will give you full access to your main PC.

Hopefully, my guess about PocketPC is wrong, Dan.

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's really a need for me to use my PPC and not the laptop.

More details about what I want to do...

I just bought a set of wireless (not related to "computer wireless") headphones. I can plug the transmitter into any 1/8" audio output jack (on any device, but in this case my main PC) and it transmits what it hears to my headphones via digital 2.4GHz. My computer is in my living room and I want to eventually put my music collection on it as .mp3 files. I want to be able to put my headphones on in a different room (the bedroom) and listen to those .mp3 files on my main PC using Windows Media Player. Being able to control Windows Media Player via the PPC and select different playlists is the gole.

I've been searching elsewhere since I made this post in hopes of finding something and came across this:

Rudeo Control for Windows Media Player

So far it's all I have found, but I'm open to other ideas or software that is capable of the same sort of thing.

Dan
    :)

PS. HERE are the wireless headphones I was referring to. They are from RadioShack.

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Sorry I wasn't more on target - about all I know is how to spell PPC. I'd give the trial version a spin, though.

5. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Here you go: Windows Mobile 6 Remote Desktop Client

Download the zip file in the first post, unzip and install on your PPC. This will allow you to log in to your PC from your PPC and have full screen control over your PC, as well as stream media. Best of all, it's FREE!

I don't have personal experience in using that as I don't have a PPC, but I think it's what you're looking for. :luck:

Post again if you encounter problems. :)