1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wireless charging for flashlight batteries, is it possible?

Discussion in 'XTAR (flashlights, battery chargers, batteries)' started by XTAR, Sep 3, 2021.

1. XTAR
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

XTAR Loaded Pockets

Nowadays, wireless battery charging is commonly found on smart phones, portable media players, tablets and wearables, which provides easy-to-use charging solutions. So would it also be possible to charge flashlight batteries with the wireless charging in the future? We may have thought about a built-in wireless charging system on the flashlights, no exposed ports, completely sealed and waterproof. With this design, it can greatly enhance reliability, reduce the mechanical damage caused by repeatedly plugging in the lights’ charging ports.

And some people also tell they’d like to see remote induction charging on flashlights, able to make lights automatically charge as moving on the inductive zone. This Induction charging seems a sound technology and more possibilities with it’s currently advancing. Besides, there are also a couple companies, such as, wi-charge charges via infrared light, energizing the operations with wireless power...

Any ideas, comment freely.

2. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

No idea if it's possible but I'd love to see it. I've got a wireless charger in my car and it'd be so convenient to toss a flashlight in there and have it never go flat

3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I'd rather have no built in charger and use the space to either
    A: make the battery bigger
    B: make the light smaller
    with an easily user replaceable battery

4. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Personally, I will not buy a light with a non-replaceable battery: it's just a paperweight waiting to happen. If the battery is not user-replaceable then the light must be so cheap that when it dies or wont take a charge anymore I don't get annoyed. Something like those little Photon clones (real Photons have replaceable batteries). If the light is expensive (that is, over $100) it must use a commonly-available, user-replaceable battery.

Next, everyone understands that nothing is truly waterproof, only water-resistant up to a certain point. IPX6, 7 and 8 water-resistant ratings are more than enough for the kind of lights most of us use for EDC. A completely sealed unit really only has application in specialty environments, like long-term deep-water submersion or places with extreme amounts of airborne dust/particulate, and while such a light would almost certainly be welcomed by the kind of people that need it, this forum is not really that kind of venue. You'd be better off soliciting input on that kind of light on a industry forum aimed at those niches.

Induction-charging would be interesting, but the primary problem with it is the lack of secure mounting to ensure positive induction. I have an induction pad and I have to make sure my phone is sitting on it just right or it won't charge. A couple centimeters off in any direction and it doesn't have enough contact to charge. In a vehicle application (as Grouch opined) I don't want my light just laying on an induction pad where it can roll around and off the pad at every turn or speedbump: I'd want the light secured so that it continues to charge. You would need to engineer your induction unit into a mounting cradle, similar to the old rechargable MagLite charging cradles, so that the cradle can be secured to the vehicle and hold the light securely while it charges.

You can reduce mechanical damage to charging ports by using tech that is already available, or will be once the patent expires: OLight's magnetic charging base. Yes, it's proprietary to them (as your induction pad would be to yours) and it's not as water-resistant as your sealed-body concept, but they can achieve IPX8 which is more than enough for EDC use, and is the focus of people on this forum.

I think it might be wise for you to start small: work on the induction charging and make it viable. Build a light that can meet at least IPX6, has a standard USB charging port in addition to induction charging, and see if you have buyers. If you sell enough lights to be commercially viable, then you can step up to a sealed, no-ports unit and see how well those sell. But I think jumping straight into sealed, no ports, induction charging is a bit too far and risks market rejection.