1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

WINTERBOOTS!?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Ivan Bratten, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ivan Bratten

Ivan Bratten Empty Pockets

Have used my armyboots now for all to manny winters up here in the arctic land of Norway...the time is there for some new quality boots that i can stand still in -40 Celsuis for 12 hours without freezing my precious toes...AND also are great for walking in deep snow!!!

Whats out there thats greater than good :help: can these do the jobb?

[​IMG]

2. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

If these are good enough to go to the North Pole, they should meet your requirements.

Just out of curiosity, what "cool" activity keeps you out in that environment for those lengths of time?

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Nokia (yes, that same Nokia) makes a few models, Kairas are good ones, Naalis are a bit more heavy-duty. They are made of special rubber that will be fine down to -40o without cracking. They have felt liners and felt insoles and are sized for two pairs of layered wool socks.

I have worn the older military versions of the Naali for several days in -20o (except for those brief periods spent in the sleeping bag, of course) and they are very warm. A bit heavy, but still quite comfortable.

4. Ivan Bratten

Those Mukluks looks cool =), thank you for that tip, and mayby i will try out one of those...and what "cool" activity i am going to use them in are manny, like driving scooter, on my sound engineering jobbs, hiking, maby some hunting, watch post and so on...the 12 hours is just for worst scenarios like survival situations and such.

5. Ivan Bratten

Thank you Valolammas, are you from Finnland? I actually got some that are much like those named something like Thermo or something like that, use them alot when i worked in the fish industry and was also warm up till -40.

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Yes I am.

I've visited Norway once, years ago. It was a three week trip, working up the coast from Mo i Rana to the Lofoten islands and from there to Tromsö. Gorgeous scenery all the way! It was summertime, but I can imagine the weather can be harsh there during the winter, with the Atlantic winds and all.

7. Hally

Hally Empty Pockets

IJust searched a little bit and found these
    Kamik cody for 120$ in the USA thats about 96Euro. Now I searched how much they are in Germany!!!!!!!!! Hey Boys they are only 220 Euro :lolhammer: :idiot2: . I haven´t found a source for the Sorels but they are 170$ in the States. Seems it worth to compare if getting them from the USA would save you a few Bucks ? Have a nice Day. Hally

8. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Those look good! I'll add that i don't think you can ever go wrong w/ a pair of Sorel winter boots.

9. Ivan Bratten

Have been once in Finnland, but was like 7-8 years old and traveled with the Vasa boat...remember it was really nice nature. Yes Lofoten is one really majestetic and awesome, lived once in Røst =) pretty extreme conditions it could get in wintertime.

10. Ivan Bratten

Thans!!! Those Kamiks have to do the jobb securing warmt and keeping my feet dry...and space tech thay also got as well..hmmm, can any other boots beat that?..

11. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

Sorels are usually excellent bang for the buck. Kamiks are good too. They both have models rated to -40 C

I've worked in the North in Canada and they are probably the boots you'll see the most there.

12. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

The Sorel website lists some Scandinavian countries

http://www.sorel.com/whereToFindGeneric.aspx?top=-1

13. Ivan Bratten

I really can not decide from which boots i should get, they have to be able to keep quality for at least 10 years or so and can not find any cheap skandinavian sellers...it would be nice to have a lokal dealer that i could report damages and such.
    Hmmm, think i will wait some time for the dollar to fall and just buy from the states...

Thank you all for such a GREAT help on this, appreaciates it alot O0

14. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I've had a pair of Sorel Bear for about 5 years now, and they still look like new. I live in Minnesota, so I wear these a steady 4 months of the year. Rated at -60 degrees...keeps my feet warm! More importantly, I wear a good pair of high calf wool socks with these. Perfect combo!

15. Ivan Bratten

Thats nice, i know almost everyone that goes snowmobiling here in Norway walks Sorel, but those Kamiks have some great details so i may be buying a long Kamik model for "offroad" and some short Sorel for everyday use. But :broke: iam, so next year it may be some new and nice footwears _

16. carl1000

carl1000 Empty Pockets

Check out Baffin Boots...great winter boots. They are some of the best

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Have you not done winter backpacking? Also even summer backpacking can get you into much snow when you get to higher elevations. In areas with deep snow that is soft snow shoes can be a life saver.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I would think the weather can get quite harsh in Finland as well.

19. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

Winter backpacking in the BWCAW. Check.
    Dog sledding in Northern MN. Check.
    Snowshoeing and winter camping. Check.

Love snow shoes. They are indispensable for getting around in the deep white stuff. What you put on your feet before you put them on is also a science. In warmer winter weather waterproofing is very important, but when in extreme colds, waterproofing takes a back seat to warmth and the ability to wick away sweat and keeping the insulation dry.

20. FinnFreak

FinnFreak Empty Pockets

just some days ago i bought a new pair of Nokia Rokka winter boots with very thick felt-liner shoe and a pair of tan brown/black Sorel Caribou´s too.im headin out to lapland in a mont and i bet they will be used very much there,as i will ski for some 4 days and 70 kilometers or so,and we spend our night in lean-to´s.im usin the Rokka´s just for skiíng as they ft military skis,and the Caribous i use for the time im not at ski´s.