1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Winter car survival EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dimeotane, Dec 14, 2010.

1. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Survival planning isn't only necessary for an impending invasion of z o m b i e s. You could be trapped in your car on the highway for more than 24 hours. Think of the unhappy people who didn't expect this happening to them:

On Sunday in Indiana, 70 Motorists were stranded in cars for more than 12 hours before being rescued from the snow.

Today in Ontario Canada, on highway 402 hundreds were stranded in their cars for as long as 30+ hours in -10C weather before being rescued by the army, called in for this emergency. 47 kilometers of highway were covered with so much snow, that plows couldn't get through.

What kind of EDC items would be smart to have in your car when we consider what
    a long night, stranded in a carwould be like. What EDC items could help survive this ordeal?

-Full tank of gas (run only for 10-20 minutes every 1-2 hours to stay warm)
    -Food, water
    -Warmth: blankets,
    -Winter coat, hat, gloves, thick socks, thermal underwear, sweater, scarf
    -Flashlight
    -Cellphone and charger
    -snow & ice tires
    - tissues and toilet paper (just think 36 hours!!)
    - collapsible shovel to dig out

- if it's an old car have the exhaust system checked to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

- a single bottle of water won't last long with a full car load of people over 36 hours. Any recommendations of what is 'ideal' to keep in the car?

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I started putting a bag in the car last year at it seemed to make sense.

It has a little stove, tea and coffee stuff, water, some food, hand warmer, hats, gloves and a blanket. There's a few other bits throw in too but I live in the UK, not miles from anywhere so I figured that would do along with all the usual EDC stuff that's always on me.

3. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

My ideas to keep in the vehicle during winter months...

Case of bottled water
    Jumper Cables
    Tow Strap
    Windshield Ice Scraper
    A large Blanket or comforter
    2 flashlights (spare batteries)
    Collapsible shovel
    A few MRE's or other foods that wont spoil
    Cell phone charger (should be a given, mine is always in the vehicle)
    Duct Tape / Zip Ties / Small tool kit
    Jug of Anti-Freeze (NOT WATER)
    Magazine, book... something to pass the time

AND THE ALL IMPORTANT EDC KIT YOU SHOULD HAVE ON YOU!!! :)

4. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

in addition to the above mentioned items, my car bag also includes:
    2 pairs of thermal socks
    2 fleece blankets. one to use for personal warmth and the other to separate the passenger compartment (if i'm alone) so there's a smaller space to warm up.
    A couple of 3 wick unscented candles in case I run out of gas they can be used for heat.
    Can o' raw cashews
    cat litter

5. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Has anyone seen a battery power CO detector/alarm? Should be relatively easy to make, but difficult to certify.

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Proper footwear, handwarmers.

7. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a bag last year after an incident where I was able to get through but many were left stranded. It took over 4hrs to make my 30min/21mile commute. They actually cut the fence on the interstate here and a bunch of people stayed at a large church right of the interstate. The sights you see when that many people are stuck in the middle of the interstate....

First off keep your car full of gas!

I carry in a backpack:

-Rain cover for backpack

-Wool Socks
    -Wool Base Layer
    -Heavy and lightweight Face Mask
    -Columbia blaze orange hat with flaps which go under chin (fuzzy on the inside, windproof shell outside) not really sure what it's called but it's warm.
    -Safety yellow / reflective frogg toggs vest.
    -Waterproof boots
    -Waterproof/winter gloves
    -Lightweight rain suit
    -Emergency poncho
    -Wool blanket (need to get this out to the car thanks for the reminder)

-Thermal Bivy
    -small space blanket blanket (extra)

-Short handle square point shovel (far superior to carrying one of those mini snow shovels IMO... if I'm in my truck I carry this and a regular size snow spade/shovel.)
    -Can of de-icer
    -Ice scraper/snow broom combo

-latex gloves
    -extra first aid

I think that's about it. This is in addition to my usual stuff I keep in my car... AA lights with L91 batteries and extra batteries, first aid, water, granola bars, jumper cables, you know the drill..... I'm usually already wearing a heavy coat but when winter really kicks in I'll probably add another heavy waterproof/hooded coat to my load.
    The guys at work always get a kick out of everything I have in my car. We all have 2007 or 2010 Civic's... already with a trunk full of copier parts and a backseat half full full of tools etc. Needless to say I ride with them when we do lunch. However, they will probably want to ride with me next time we get stuck out like last year :)

8. milks

milks Empty Pockets

9. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

Besides the obvious fire risks would you need to be careful about CO or depleting the oxygen in the car with a candle? Would it be necessary to barely crack a window? Just wondering as I had though about using a candle myself.

10. allotabass

allotabass Loaded Pockets

I remember the blizzard of '78.....NEVER AGAIN !!!

I keep these things in my car all year long and rotate seasonally.
    Sleeping bag, extra boots and wool socks and two days change of clothes.
    MRE's and several bottles of water.
    TOILET PAPER people where's the love for toilet paper. I keep two rolls heat sealed static bags (computer board bag). Keeps it water proof and 'all together'.
    All of these items inside a 15 gallon dry bag.

Full blown medic bag and my EDC MaxPed Typhoon.
    A 400 watt DC/AC converter for charging the cell phone.
    Plenty of glow sticks.
    Basic car tools.
    $30-40 cash plus $10 in quarters.
    Shovel.
    Grill cover to keep cold winds from freezing the engine, battery etc.

Forget jumper cables. Get a portable battery jump starter and make sure it's fully charged. Check it weekly. $25 well spent because you can't jump your battery if you're all alone.

11. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

Pretty well stocked myself, I should add some heat of some sort, but I usually have a full tank.

Cooler full of water
    Several lights
    Change of clothes with winter gear
    Blanket
    Medical bag
    Food
    Tools

All sorts of stuff I won't bother typing.

12. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

Lots of mention of blankets but it seems a down or synthetic 0-degree sleeping bag would be warmer (less drafty) and take up less space. Case of water? Probably will freeze. Better to have a metal container/cup and stove to melt snow. Just some thoughts from Colorful Colorado.

13. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

advantage with blankets is you can cover several people easily. so you don't need one for each person, a couple would do for an average car, weather you have only one passenger, or the normal max of four.
    you can also use blankets for other jobs, like as an improvised picnic rug, or as a cover for other stuff in the back of the car.
    down bags are expensive and don't allways take well to long term compression, for long term storage you are supposed to store them loose. synthetic would be a better bet for a car kit.

personally I would stick both a sleeping bag and a couple of blankets in my car (if I had one). that way, I've got a warmer option (if it's just me in the car) and something that can cover any passengers I might have.

other ideas would be some of the disposeable hand warmer packs, and as a way to get round the saftey aspect of flame based heating methods, would it work to have a travel kettle running of a 12v to 230/110v (as applicable) power inverter?

14. haversack11

haversack11 Empty Pockets

Thx for this thread. We are heading up the east coast in the morning, in this winter weather event, and this info will be put to use asap.

15. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Don't forget the jumper cables. Carry both. I have a portable battery jump starter and when it got extremely cold the other day I needed it to start the car. It did not have enough power to jump it from dead cold. So I wished I had jumper cables also as I could have jumped the battery with another car and its battery would not have drained so fast. So, yes, carry both jumper cables and a portable battery jump starter.

16. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

What about sterno?

I would like to hear about the danger of buring something in the car. Anyone know just how dangerous that would be and the best way to reduce the danger?

I keep at least two coats and several sweaters. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go out to the car for the sweaters because my wife and daughters are cold in a restaurant or other.

17. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I will second the candle lantern, make a STURDY NON TIP BASE FOR IT, Place a 12"X12" piece of ceramic tile or 2 under it the assembly so you do not burn anything under it. Remember that heat rises. It maybe best on the rear seat away form everything (you can melt your dash, start an accidental fire etc feel your head liner occassionally). do not go to sleep with anything lit execept maybe a coupple of hand warmers (they deplete oxygen also, so be careful or you might not wake up). Periodically ventalate the car or if possible if you get enough heat, crack a window

Expierment with several sizes of hand warmers and keep enough extra fluid for them to last you for at least 3 days, they don't use up much fluid maybe the amount that would go in a zippo lighter for 6-8 hours on the catalytic models, two or three cans of fluid should last a looooooong time, they make some giant ones. Possibly a fist full of MRE heaters for some short term heat (you can also activate them with snow).

Stash your kit in a 5 gal home depot or other bucket. Get the Luggable Loo toilet seat that attaches to the bucket along with some plastic bag liners and RV chemicals for it (it only takes about 2 ounces for about 40 gallons so the overkill won't be a problem with a tiny bottle of it.

Incase the car gets burried, try to keep a short metal piece of flex exhaust and some pipe scetions (if it is that cold even pvc sections)you can duct tape it upwards to keep the exhaust fumes out and away from the car.

A 9 foot CB whip antenna (hooked up or not) on a strong roof magnet mount assembly are a decent place to attach a HELP FLAG. incase the car gets burried in a snow drift.

I will defer to all the other EDC"ers comments about power bars, MRE's, warm clothing, and a -40 ECWSS (Extreme Cold, Weather, Sleeping System. water or other beverages ETC...

Be Safe,
    Cliff

18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I usually keep bag orf rock salt and regular digging shovel in trunk, snow brush and separate ice scraper. I had a couple occassions where even with defrosters on high ice formed on the windshield where I couldn't use the wipers had to scrape the ice off every so often. I also keep extra watch caps gloves and hand warmers in the car. I keep a small ice chest in the back seat with bottled water helps to keep it from freezing. One thing I need to add is some food and blanket and extra socks.

19. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

My current winter kit as I travel 3/4 times a week 150 miles round trip through 3 states between 2 lane county roads and 2 Interstates... and no, I'm not a trucker, they would be even better prepared. Note that this is just a "winter" kit only, not my EDC. I carry most of this stuff extra in the winter, although most of it stays in my vehicle year round such as the tools... Just this past Tuesday I was stuck on I-81 for 4 hours for a tractor trailer that jack knifed on a snow covered section. What times I've been stuck the longest have actually been during the summer, but it would really suck to be stranded overnight in freezing temperatures unprepared.

- extra clothes that are warm and water proof. Try not to have a lot of cotton.
    - gloves
    - case of water (32 pack of water at wally world for $3.50), keep it in the back seat.
    - telescoping metal snow shovel (it can snow a LOT while you are parked. :) )
    - telescopic ice/snow scraper
    - tire chains
    - roadside kit (tool bag, jumper cables, battery jumper w/inflater, flares, flashlight...)
    - battery radio (kaito KA202L)
    - Mickey Mouse snow boots
    - candy stash (protein bars, m&m's, nuts, whatever)
    - magazine, book, time killers...
    - usually have 3-4 50lb bags of ice melt that double as ballast in the back of my truck. Handy to getting unstuck too.

20. sklnxbones

sklnxbones Loaded Pockets

In the Travel section we have a thread started about the different methods of boiling water in your car... Sterno is NOT a good option!

http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/79342-Safely-Boiling-Water-in-Your-Car