1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Winter Bug Out/EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by suburbDad, Dec 4, 2018.

1. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

hi all, do you see yourself changing out your bug out bag or edc gear due to changing of the seasons? The only thing I have added is more hand warmers, but aside from the wintery boots I wear, gloves, and a thicker jacket, what else would truly be different?

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I keep a pair of Yak Trax slip-on shoe traction devices in my car since the parking lot at my work is ginormous and usually fairly icy. I also make sure my car carry winter stuff is up-to-speed: blanket, folding shovel, FAK.

surefire7 likes this.
  3. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I've added, like you, hand-warmers, to my EDC pouch, plus a space blanket (which should stay there all seasons anyway as hypothermia is a 365 days a year potential risk).

My EDC backpack has now also a larger heat belt (similar concept as hand-warmers, just larger, to be glued - like a band-aid - to ones lower back, to warm the lever where blood needs to come through).

A buff (used to protect neck) is always in my EDC - but these days it's get used more often, depending on jacket and wind/temperatures.

When real winter (below 0°C) will be here my wife will, always, highly recommend Nivea or other lotion to protect hand/face skin from drying out - and I will, as always, thankfully reject - as real men don't need lotion! :uhhuh:

ran23 likes this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

A wool balaclava or hat and neck gaiter provide good head/neck protection and warmth. Extra socks are also good to layer and swap if get wet.

surefire7 and FiaOlleDog like this.
  5. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I've got an entire bag that I throw in the truck in the winter months...

Insulated bib overalls, several pairs of wool socks, gloves, caps, etc.

Saved my hindquarters from freezing many times.

6. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I don't change my EDC for the whole season since if I'm expecting cold weather, I'll pack for it but if not, I don't bother.
    I do make sure I have an extra coat, an extra think fleece, plenty of warm socks, a spare pair of boots, a second blanket and long johns in my car, in addition to my year-round gear

FiaOlleDog and JHGM like this.
  7. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Excluding clothing, the only thing that comes to mind is visibility aid - reflective patches.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I keep thick wool socks and a fleece convertible hood/scarf/face cover garment and some things in little tote in my truck year round. I add Hot Hands to my crisis bag on top of the SOL two person heat sheet I keep packaged in the bag year round.

In my bag I recently added an Outdoor Research tobogan cap, fleece scarf, and my old 5.11 Praetorian gloves for the season. I also added my Snugpak jungle blanket in it's stuff sack to my bag this week since I recently changed out my GORUCK Bullet for a GR1.

FiaOlleDog likes this.