1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

WINNERS: EDC Forum Giveaway II

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by pipedreams, Apr 23, 2006.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Glad it made it safely, Karen. Enjoy!

todd

2. Mahachippy

Mahachippy Loaded Pockets

Okay, so the time was 12:37 and I got this feeling in my gut that I needed to go and check my mailbox. It was as if it was calling me, telling me to go open the mailbox door. So, I dos. I went out to my mailbox and slowly opened the door, however one of my neighbors saw me and said hi. I knew right then and there that I was in a sticky situation....do I talk to the neighbor and put off opening the mailbox for another few minutes or do I throw open the mailbox and grab what is inside and dash to the house, leaving the neighbor thinking I am crazy (but then again, I don't think the crazy part would be much of a stretch!). The neighbor moved closer and had that I want to have a conversation look his eyes..."arrrrrggggghhhhh I don't need a conversation right now," I thought as I continued to open the mailbox.

"Hi Chip!" Drats...I have been cornered. "Hello Mr. Davis...how is it going." "Great, what are you up to?" "Just opening up my mailbox to check the mail." "Oh, I see...hey listen, I was on my computer earlier today and all of the sudden...." "Mr. Davis, I am sorry but I have to run I have class in a few minutes. Tell ya' what, I will be home in a couple of hours and I will stop by your house first thing to look at your computer...okay?" "Well, okay...I guess...see you then." "Bye Mr. Davis!"

I flung open the mailbox door the rest of the rest of the way and clawed out the mail and noticed there was also a small cardboard box that had my name in fairly big letters. Could this be it...could this be...my first ever Swiss Army Knife!?!?!? Slamming the mailbox door shut and waving to Mr. Davis, I flew into the house and grabbed my bag...afterall I had "class" in a few minutes.

Now, knowing the kind of...shall we say nosey...man that Mr. Davis is I knew I would actually have to go somewhere or have him ring the doorbell for the next hour. So, with bag and small box in hand I loaded up in my van and off I went to the one place I knew I could become anonymous...the local Wal-Mart parking lot! I rushed there and found a spot in amongst some soccer mom's suvs and older folk's prestine oldsmobiles from yesteryear.

Finally, I had the box in my hands. I carefully looked over the label and found that it was from Todd (Pipedreams) and was very, very happy. I was also surprised to find that he was in my neck of the United States...how cool is that! Anywho, I yanked open the pull here tab and out dumped a good many packing peanuts (the logical thing would have been for me not to open up the package upside down, but I rarely do things logically!). So after picking that up and reading the short note that was included I picked up the small box that held my knife. It was like it glowed and I heard that angelic music that one hears on tv when an adventurer finds that precious object for which he has spent his whole life searching.

I opened up every blade and tool and read the included instruction twice. After basking in the joy of my new knife, I managed to get myself to my local library so that I could post this (afterall that pesky Mr. Davis would absolutely ruin my SAK glee!) So here it is 1:30 in the afternoon and I am happy as a clam...my first SAK now resides in my front right pocket and dare I say, is my first true step into the world of EDC!

Thank you so much Todd for such a great contest and such a great prize. I really appreciate your generosity and hope that I can do the same if not more for you someday! :)

Chip

3. pipedreams

Great story, Chip. It made my day. I'm glad you like you knife!

todd

4. Mahachippy

Well not to one up you or anything, but you my good sir have made my week! :D O0

5. pipedreams

:cheers: (I knew there had to be a smiley for this post.)

todd

6. Mahachippy

:highfive: Right on brother!

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

"I opened up every blade and tool and read the included instruction twice. After basking in the joy of my new knife, I managed to get myself to my local library so that I could post this (afterall that pesky Mr. Davis would absolutely ruin my SAK glee!) So here it is 1:30 in the afternoon and I am happy as a clam...my first SAK now resides in my front right pocket and dare I say, is my first true step into the world of EDC!"

So...you like it then? Time for a picture! :spotlight:

Dang, these emoticons are too much fun.

9. Mahachippy

Like it...naaww...I think obsessed wouldn't even begin to express how I feel about it! I have had it in my pocket since 1:30 this afternoon. The only problem is that I am afraid to use it...I dun't want to scratch it or get it dirty! Do you think a shadowbox frame would be too heavy to carry in my pocket!? :D

Sadly I dun't have me a camera yet...but I plan on getting one soon...'specially since I am not officially edcing! :beanie: :party: :jumprope: :surprise: :buckteeth: :trampoline: :whee: 8) :lol

I think I need to step away from the emoticons!

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Okay. Shadowbox is not an option for your pocket. Potential for splinters, broken glass, torn pockets. It is kind of like the first scratch on a new car you get in the parking lot. Here is a before and after pictorial scenario. You just have to go for it and USE it. :giddyup:
    Golly, I love that leetle horsie.

Before: NIB, all shiny, shiny.
    After (over two decades of carrying about): missing toothpick, bite marks from puppy who at 16 crossed over the Rainbow Bridge last May--remaining knife components still work beautifully

Attached Files:

11. pipedreams

Put that baby to work, Chip!  Don't think of those scratches and dings as damage...it just character.  :whee:

Great pics, Karen! I'd bet your little Classic could tell some great stories.

todd

12. Mahachippy

Will do...but is all so nice and purty....ahh what the heck I think I might just cut a piece of paper to break it in. Wait for it...wait....we have cuttage!! :D :whee:

Okay, tomorrow I am going to make a trip to the hardware store to see if they need some boxes opened!

Nice pictures Karen...2 decades WOW, I am impressed!....but that just goes to show you that there is a reason SAKs have been around for so long and been so popular!

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

"Will do...but is all so nice and purty....ahh what the heck I think I might just cut a piece of paper to break it in. Wait for it...wait....we have cuttage!!"

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Admit it, didn't it feel great? Yeah, I thought so. :highfive:

14. Mahachippy

Yeah, I gotta say it kinda got me all tingley when it simply glided through that paper!

Update: I made my trip to the hardware store and they didn't have any boxes for me to play with. However, I did buy a pair of vice grips that were in one of those packages that has a piece of cardboard and then shrink wrap kind of stuff to hold the object. Well needless to say my SAK make quick work of that...I love this thing! ;D

Btw, I have been carrying it for almost two days now and I have to say that I don't know how I got along before I had my SAK in my pocket. It seems like every time I turn around I am finding something that needs cutting or a loose screw or something (yeah, okay I am now on the lookout for these kinds of things, but what can I say! :D )!

15. pipedreams

And so begins Chip's addiction... ;D

todd

16. Mahachippy

I got a bad feeling that I am on a very expensive, never ending path that will eventually cause me to have to buy multiple storage units! :crazy2: ;D