1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Windows 8 = The anti-EDC!

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DCBman, Aug 22, 2014.

1. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

And a lot cheaper!!!

powerring likes this.
  2. Mr. Wanderful

Mr. Wanderful Empty Pockets

As an IT Admin, I feel your pain. I too at first was ready to throw my W8 tablet at the wall. However, since I HAVE to use it everyday as a function of my job, I have become very familiar with all of the ins and outs/ tips and tricks etc. It does have a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get familiar with it, it functions quite well. I'm not trying to argue for or against it one way or the other, just adding my 2 cents. At my age, I cut my teeth on IBM's, Commodore 64 and 128 Amigas in the early 80's and then progressively owned or used just about every machine/OS combo since then. They all have flaws, no doubt about it.

I think it boils down to familiarity with your chosen machine/OS. Windows Server 2012 is very similar to W8, but yet still a different beast with a separate learning curve and yet VERY different from Server 2008 etc. The more I use a new OS, the more I strive to learn ALL of the new additions etc. to it. Just takes time...

I will say this though, and this is just some old sage advice... I hear a lot of bashing Windows Vista, and truth be told, it is somewhat deserving no doubt. However, there was a version of Windows Vista that few were ever aware of much less actually used save for those in the industry and that was Windows Vista Business (64bit). I still use it to this day on most of my home machines and a few laptops/tablets that I have. It is streamlined, no nonsense and FAST and if you know how to tweak it, man does it perform flawlessly. It was never meant for mass public use so it was not stuffed with bloat ware and unnecessary garbage. Again, just my two cents.

Another person mentioned Linux Mint which I have installed and used on a few production systems. It works well, has some great applications and since it is open source, can be tweaked to your hearts desire. But best of all, it is FREE! It is a great alternative and should be considered if you are searching for something else.

3. wilburdee
    • In Omnia Paratus

wilburdee Loaded Pockets

anyone tried linux LXLE?
    I'm dual booting it w/win7 - seems to work well.
    real lightweight distro based on Lubuntu.
    Also installed it on an older spare XP rig.
    I like it a lot.

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I'm convinced that Win 8.1 was designed by Beelzebub himself.

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

How no fear Windows 10 is near!
    ZDNet had the following:

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

If Microsoft had half a heart, they would let 8.1 users either upgrade to 10 OR downgrade to 7 at no cost. Frankly, I'd love to go back to 7.

CSM-101 likes this.
  7. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

So did 9 develop internally and die pre-release? Why go from 8 to 10?

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Supposedly they skipped Windows 9 because of a coding error that would have somehow grouped Windows 9 with Windows 95, 98.

9. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

That might makes sense, but I thought they ditched all the old code in Windows 7.

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Paul Thurott's Superisite for Windows had this comment:

w2edv likes this.
  11. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

That sounds like an incremental release to me. Sounds like they just stapled Windows 8 to Windows 7. I'm still sticking with Linux :)

12. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

I've seen a few of the videos of Windows 8 demonstrations on Gizmodo. Very unimpressed by what I saw.

13. Wojo

Wojo Loaded Pockets

I have windows 8 on a laptop and I absolutely hated it when I first used it. A few months later, I get a Surface Pro for Christmas. It has Windows 8, and it makes MUCH more sense on a touchscreen. BTW the Surface Pro has replaced both the lappy and the Ipad, and actually gets EDC duty to boot.

cheeser likes this.
  14. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Thats the thing Windows 8 was designed for touchscreens

15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

This was an interesting take on the whole naming thing....

"Microsoft has come up with a new marketing gambit for Windows. The company officially announced a new edition of Windows on Sept. 30, but rather than go with the Windows 9 branding the industry was expecting, the company has tried to distance itself farther from the Windows 8 debacle and has gone with Windows 10 branding. While Microsoft made no mention of Windows 8 in its Windows 10 announcement, the very fact that it has decided to skip Windows 9 and go directly to the Windows 10 moniker indicates how much Microsoft wants to impress the market with how far this latest version is removed from Windows 8. This slide show looks at some new features coming to Windows 10. Some of them are aimed at putting Windows back on track as an operating system for all types of PCs—and not just on tablets and other mobile devices that are best suited for the touch-screen interface that was the hallmark of Windows 8. While these features are nice to see and should extend Windows 10's appeal to a wider range of users, Microsoft would have avoided much grief if it had put many of these features in Windows 8."

ATB,
    Sam

16. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I have a love-hate relationship with my Windows 8 tablet I use for work. I love having Office and some other programs at my disposal on the go. My tablet with the Wacom digitizer has replaced my notebook for meeting notes. Even the interface isn't so bad. I've gotten used to the gestures and even the charm interface.

But then there's the bad. Flaky behavior-digitizer won't respond, wifi and bluetooth drop out. Both require a reboot. No problem in most cases, but still mildly annoying enough to slightly diminish the experience.

But the lack of some simple features in apps and programs is maddening. My tablet has built in GPS. Metro apps can use it, but because of the APIs, many desktop programs can't. To do so requires a bunch of hoops. Many Windows 8 apps feel limited compared to their iOS/Android counterparts. It's sad when you can do more in the browser-based version of a service than you can with the native Windows 8 app.

Most of these issues are because of legacy support. Windows 8 has this schizophrenic, split-personality thing going on. One of the most exciting thing I saw in the Windows 10 announcement is the convergence of the platform.

17. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

I had windows 8 on my Acer aspire v5 but I downgraded it to windows 7 ultimate

From the pockets of a 17 year old prepper.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Ouch! I meant to say that I've seen Windows 10 demos. I've been using Windows 8 since it came out, that's what inspired me to try Linux.

Windows 8 is too disjointed and inefficient. Settings are all over the place, trackpad gestures are the worst and you can't turn them off, the list goes on. I purchased a start menu for $5 called start 8 from star dock. So when I'm using Windows 8 I don't use the start screen at all. I also have a lenovo, so I bypass the trackpad and use the track point (nipple).

One nice thing about Win 8 is that it boots really fast. However my Linux box has an ssd boot drive. Sooo fast.

Rasthor likes this.
  19. Mr. Gadget

Mr. Gadget Loaded Pockets

There is a free program called classic shell that gives you the start menu.

From the pockets of a 17 year old prepper.

20. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I bought a Windows 8, HP Envy touchscreen thing last July to replace my old XP powered laptop that bit the dust over 4th of July weekend. Looks kinda like a Mac Book Air ripoff. It had Win8 on it. I tried really hard to at least get used to it. I'll never like it, but it essentially killed my home network. It absolutely refused to stay connected to the Win7 HTPC/media server, and kept knocking my wireless printer offline, along with a couple other things. I upgraded it to Ubuntu/Mate and haven't had a spot of trouble since. And, oh yeah, if I really want to use it, the touchscreen still works just fine.