1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by CSM-101, Dec 3, 2015.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

MS are really taking the urine now aren't they, it's not like they need the money from these yearly subscriptions.:mad: I think that I'll have to get use to using Linux more.

2. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

go to the manufacturers website get the drivers for the wireless adapter and put them on a usb drive, most manufacturers have windows 10 drivers for basic parts. this is what i had to do with my wifes touch screen

3. theirishboxer

they have said numerous times that they will not charge a yearly subscription for win 10, what they mean when they say "as a service" is they will be pushing out more frequent updates and stop with the version number increases as often (7, 8, 10 ect.)

also the updates will now be required if you want support with your product, unlike with previous versions, this is to reduce their operating over head with having to support so many older products (i.e. xp which was 10+ years old when they ended support)

CSM-101 and earthman like this.
  4. Ben Rubinstein

Like with all windows, waiting for at least the first service pack.

Running 7x64 and it's a good combo. Not in a hurry to change.

tmedina, CSM-101 and theirishboxer like this.
  5. theirishboxer

also they are offering a free upgrade to avoid the situations they had with xp ( where everyone was still using it 10+ years later) and the vista-7 transition where they came out with 7 and everyone with vista threw a fit because vista pre service pack 1 was such a steaming pile

sorry for so many posts dropping knowledge in the thread as i remember it

CSM-101 likes this.
  6. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I've held off from doing this 'upgrade' because of the blatant privacy violations.
    It's precisely the kind of thing Snowden was warning everyone about.
    If you don't know what I mean - google it

THX2008 and CSM-101 like this.
  7. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i did on several machines. all went well (they are toshibas and HP). best experience was a full-new setup on a HP mini netbook. win 7 was so-so on this machine, because it was full of HPs crapware, but with win 10 and nothing else on it, it works like a charm. just shut all the communications with MS down, keep the upgrades coming, and you should be fine.

after that (in a few years or so) i´ll convert them to xubuntu/ubuntu, as soon as MS wants money for their upgrades.

CSM-101 likes this.
  8. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

Upgraged 2 machines from 8.1 as soon as I could ... soo much better ... one was simple but one was a Linux dual boot which required multiple blood sacrifices and the summoning of many dark forces before it would upgrade.

9. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Upgraded from Windows 7, reluctantly. I do not like change, but once I learned all of the little quirks of 10, I like it pretty well. DO look up the privacy issues so you can configure to your liking's. My $.02

CSM-101 and theirishboxer like this.
  10. theirishboxer

well that's what you get for summoning a foul hybrid creature :giggle:

CSM-101 likes this.
  11. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

One thing to be aware of is that Win10 has feature that can store all the WiFI SSIDs and keys saved on your machine online. Supposedly it's so you can share them with your friends to save them the effort of typing a bit when they come visit, but it also makes all of your wireless security reliant on the security of Microsoft's own servers.

CSM-101 likes this.
  12. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

A lot of the privacy stuff can be mittigated by NOT using a MS Online account to log into a local box ESPECIALLY for use as an admin account ... Always use a local account.

13. theirishboxer

yes windows phone also has that feature which i promptly turned off, iOS and OS x also have a similar feature which is why i have a guest network at home that i change the password on occasionally because you don't know who else has that turned on and who ends up with your passwords

14. Downwind

Downwind Empty Pockets

I think Microsoft nailed it with Win 10. I couldn't upgrade my two computers from 8.1 to 10 fast enough. 10 is what 8 was supposed to be.

theirishboxer likes this.
  15. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

One other idea that's a little bit more radical, check with the mfg for a firmware upgrade to the WiFi.

On my Dell, besides the windows driver update check, Winzip System Utilities has driver update check, both didn't find anything.

16. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

I upgraded mine and the only thing I find better is that the start tab is back. When this laptop dies I think it will be my last Windows system.

Rasthor and theirishboxer like this.
  17. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

The upgrade to 10 on my HP notebook was completely painless. Upgrading a turnkey system like my home theater rig can be fun. After waiting 3 months for MS to "validate" Windows 10 for it, I used their media creation tool and did the upgrade manually. The install was uneventful, but now the box forgets how to use the sound about once a week and has to be rebooted. Win 10 also killed off Media Center, so if you're one of the few people like me who used it you'll have to look at alternatives like XBMC/Kodi. And as others have mentioned, be sure to plug up the privacy holes.

18. Alistair Hammond

Alistair Hammond Loaded Pockets

Another point - you can't stop automatic updates. I left my laptop with some work open while I went off to a lecture, came back and it was in the middle of rebooting.

19. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

This morning I got tired of the network issue I've been having, so I was doing to revert back to 8.1. Turns out I deleted the files I needed without knowing it.

I could use the image I created, but I probably won't

20. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

Everybody I know that uses windows 10 on a machine that can handle it has enjoyed it. However the friends who have done the free upgrade on machines that could barely handle windows 7 have found that it screwed up their computers. I'm not going to be using the free upgrade solely based on the latter reason, since the laptop I use was an XP machine that can barely support 7.

Other than that, it seems like the average reaction among those I know is windows 10 is an improvement over 8/8.1 like 7 was an improvement over Vista.

theirishboxer and earthman like this.