1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Win 7 Pro downloads not loading?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ran23, Apr 7, 2016.

1. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I tried that, no luck, It says my 'key' is a manufacturers key and it will not load. I am guessing this might be a Lenovo load, who knows. not sure how to read a key to see where it comes from.

3. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

As a last resort, you could always bring it into that blue store with a yellow sign and have them look it over

4. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Reading on MS that Win 7 is an upgrade to Vista, I tried the Vista COA but no luck. It didn't say no, just could not figure it out.

5. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

Windows 7 being an upgrade from vista shouldnt change a thing, upping from 95-> xp-> vista-> 7-> 8->8.1-> 10 woupdnt so a tbing beside perhaps take up more drive space. Windows would still perform as if it was new.

Another option (which would cost some money and take some effort) would be to buy a new storage drive and a new copy of windows and then move your important files over via usb thumbdrive after youve reinstalled and setup the os to your liking

Do you care if i ask the year the system was purchased in?

ran23 likes this.
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Kicking up a basic T61 to SSD, win 7 or newer(if I can't get Win 7 anymore), new BIOS, and more Memory, that is the best road to follow with what I have here. (just hit 62 and waiting on my first Soc Sec check). If my desktop dies, I will jump on this, in the mean time it is my main project to work on. I got this last April, it is a 2010 machine. When everyone was telling me my XP desktop would fail. It has been up dating every week since then. Just the April updates failed starting me wondering what other things might be wrong in it. I did learn to delete all the March updates, that didn't help. just a project machine now. half the problem was learning a new OS. yes, behind the curve a bit. Appreciate all your help. Randy

7. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

7 should still be availible since its still getting updates, but in the interest of longevity you may want to go with 10. Its layout is similar to 7 and it should continue to recieve security updates for at least a while longer, and its possible to disable all the data collection in settings which should make it just as secure as 7

8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I was helping a neighbor (maybe late 70's) with her almost new PC with Win 10. somehow it got updated from 7 or 8 by mistake. I was on the phone with her tech support/good friend, he walked me throe a few things of Win 10 and showed me differences. My wife is on Win 7, so I feel better with that. (Today I took my favorite 2003 XP Pro, T-30/P-4M 2.2GHz, 2.0 MB, 160 GB HD, and pulled out my name in registry, user, and office. Not sure what that machine will end up doing, hate to toss it in donations. or boxes of Windows 95, 98 software from over the years)

9. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

You could always try to set that machine up as a nas, just swap the drive fkr a.few higher capacity ones and add in a faster netwirk card than the mobo has on it. Then you could save the old os and get new usefulness from a old machine

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I found the Start up disc I made when I got these, great! It opens to: Boot, Sources and BootMgr. None of these will open, just a pop-up asking for a program to open it. great. I remember the XP Start Up would work.

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

well, tried letting it auto update over night, only MS Essential made it, the rest Failed.

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

On boot after a few minutes, Task Mgr will be 100%, even with 6 GB MB, things slow down. I jumped into 'Services' to turn off Desktop Areo ? and looked at everything there. there is no 'win Update' in there. Have we covered everything that may be turned off to Win Update? I really do not want to go to Win 10 yet. thanks

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, my wife upgraded her Win 8 laptop to 10, no problem. I tried this Win 7 and it failed or locked up at 99% of install over night. I powered down and later booted to a black screen. I managed to boot with the Repair Disc. trying Win 10 again, but it seems to fail, because, This lappy will not do 'updates'.

14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Now it will not boot to the welcome screen. I tried the repair disc utilities and it will not let me do restore at all (restore can't go to any date). So this may be the end of this thread. going to work on replacing my aging desktop. thanks all.

15. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

if you feel like having a lil fun you could build your own rather than buying from a store

16. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

It is a nice 2010 dual core, I can get Win 7 for $49.99 and reload it. then get Lenovo drivers on my desktops and be up and running. I hope to take that when I go out of state to stay in touch. ( just tried my 'repair disc and I can't get it to boot) I built all of my desktop (98 + XP Pro) remember back the P-1 boards that if you hot rod that, the caps starting leaking. I had a Assus with a 1 GHz cpu and a fun BIOS that let me push that up. blew the sound card. At my age, 62, not sure about having fun building another. fun days. not sure if I mentioned this, but my win 7 can't update, so the Win 10 install has an update with the install, so that never fully loaded, and corrupted Win 7. fun times.

17. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

well, I was ready to box this up and tried 'safe mood' and it booted, ran a few utilities, A/Vs would not do a full scan. I rebooted after that and it actually came up. so who knows, after a virus or something, it is good to reload. back to shopping for a Win 7 disc.

18. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

i suggest looking on ebay, or shopping around online. and depending upon how bad the virus is you may want to replace the drive unless you have critical data on it because some of those things are pretty tricky

19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

It would be a great time for a SSD. Nothing critical on this machine, it is not a primary computer at this time. Full reload is if I can get a copy of Win 7 soon.

20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a Lenovo Desktop with Win 7, so I can compare 'services' that I may have messed with. I won't miss my 2003 P4/800 XP machine.