1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Will the Bodyguard 380 "accidentally" fire?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MicroMike, Aug 7, 2017.

1. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I've never owned a striker fired semi auto. I know Walther uses a mechanism on the PPS that skids a "block" somewhere between the sear and firing pin they moves with the trigger pull. So there is no possible way it would accidentally fire.

I understand how the striker fired mech is similar to a revolver action and the Bodyguard has a very heavy pull. I would say it is not possible to fire inadvertently.

But thought I would ask...

2. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

I'd say you're fine so long as you keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire..

It does have a manual safety if carrying with one in the chamber makes you nervous.

I carry a ruger lcp which has no manual safety, only passive, and I've never had an AD/ND.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MicroMike likes this.
  3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

It has a firing pin safety block similar in design to other striker fired semi-auto pistols. The trigger must be depressed a certain amount in order to disengage the firing pin block.

MicroMike likes this.
  4. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Good to know guys! Thanks!

I am not comfortable carrying with safety on.. in a pinch seconds matter. I am guessing?

iwrite61 likes this.
  5. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

It's all about muscle memory, training, and gross vs fine motor skills under stress...

surefire7 likes this.
  6. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #6 nolaradio, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Funny but you sited the one gun in this group that was recalled by the maker for a defect which could result in accidental firing if dropped.

http://www.waltherarms.com/category/recalls/#

There should be no way for the gun to fire unless the trigger is pulled.
    As long as the trigger is covered in pocket or holster it is highly improbable that it will fire another way.

Ethos likes this.
  8. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Nope.

My mom has a S&W Bodyguard .380 and your lucky if you can get it to fire by pulling your trigger. Lol. Never pulled such a heavy trigger before. Safety is hard to get on/off too!

As far as modern striker fires going off, it's so unlikely! I've dropped my Glock 17 almost seven feet off the porch onto concrete---while chambered, and it didn't go off.

9. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Most "accidental" discharges are in fact "Negligent discharges", due to operator error (I'm a former Range Manager and Shooting Coach, trained by the British Army back in the '90s). The key to avoiding these issues is regular and consistent training in drawing, bringing to aim, re-holstering, and stoppage IA (Immediate Action) drills. These should be performed not in your home, but at an approved range, under the supervision of a suitably qualified instructor or coach. Yes, it will cost, but prevention is far and away better than cure, after all. Have fun shooting your handgun!

10. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

And cue the SIG P230 debacle. All signs point to SIG knowing they had a significant safety problem, but after a cop being shot, a major Police department banning their use and numerous independent tests, they grudgingly admit they have a problem.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/08/sig-sauer-acknowledges-p320-trigger-issues-with-30deg-drop-m17-mhs-unaffected-announces-voluntary-p320-upgrade/

To the original post, all things are relative to making a gun drop safe, as nothing is absolute.
    A modern Glock is likely safer in a dropped situation than a 1920's revolver.
    Heavy triggers, well bemoaned, do contribute to drop safety but also to lousy practical accuracy. In other words, the gritty Glock trigger is demonstrably safer than the smoother SIG P320 in roughly comparable striker fired guns, but you aren't likely to shoot better.

11. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth, the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 is not a striker fired pistol. It is a double action only hammer fired pistol.

I carry my Bodyguard all the time in my front pocket in a Sticky holster with safety off and a round in the chamber. There is no way that handgun will accidentally fire with the long trigger pull that it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I carry my BG380 everyday in a sticky- either in my front pocket or tucked iwb. I use the safety. Also like others noted, the trigger is heavy.

OldRakkasans187 likes this.