1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Will I need stitches?"

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Janvier, Nov 3, 2013.

1. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

I always have superglue in my psk, but I have not yet bothered with a stitch kit.

I figure if I could stitch it I could probably glue it and keep it cleaner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

theirishboxer likes this.
  2. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

Skin staples for me . Easy un cumbersome package , one handed operation , easier to do after a deep breath than fighting your brain telling you to stop as your shaky hand slowly pushes the needle through over and over and , it is also able to be used by your lesser trained buddy .

theirishboxer likes this.
  3. Caveman2795

Caveman2795 Loaded Pockets

I always edc some superglue, stings like hell, but it gets the job done.;)

theirishboxer and nr73 like this.
  4. CausticCrow

CausticCrow Loaded Pockets

Lol this reminds me of work a few weeks ago (I work in an ER) of a guy who came in with a 104 fever and complaining of his arm looking "a little more black".

After pulling together all of my highschool spanish I was able to get out of him that he sliced his forearm open about 6 inches, pulled some thread out of clothing, and sutured it up himself. He said it was okay though...he soaked it in patron first...

The sepsis and necrosis determined that was a lie.

5. RunnersLunge

RunnersLunge Loaded Pockets

Not a helpful answer but... I think you simply just know.

theirishboxer and kertap75 like this.
  6. nosnerosen

nosnerosen Loaded Pockets

bull_paqqy Did you ever get to use your staples? I know that's an old post but I have suture and staples I've never got to use on anything besides fruit and a rubber practice pad.

kertap75 likes this.
  7. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope, I have used the butterfly bandages. But no staples. :( lol.I hope I never do, its part of my disaster kit, right up there with my gas masks and dental kit.

Last edited by bull_paqqy, Jul 22, 2015
    kertap75 likes this.
  8. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

If it's big enough to see meat, it needs stitches. Scratches get a styptic pencil. Everything else gets a band aid.

kertap75 likes this.
  9. inkb0t

inkb0t Loaded Pockets

Misleading title :-/ expected to assess if a wound needed stitches, should be 'Should I carry a suture kit?'. Needless to say I carry butterflies and single use super glue packs

kertap75 likes this.
  10. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

11. nosnerosen

nosnerosen Loaded Pockets

I know. 98% of me hopes I never need them but the 2% really wants to see how well they work. Steristrips have always been enough though.

kertap75 and bull_paqqy like this.
  12. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I really like steristrips, but most of the time I can get away with butterflies.

kertap75 likes this.
  13. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I'm kinda with "IThinkTooMuch" Above.

If you can see meat in the wound, then yeah, probably stitches. If it's a cut. Clean it and bandage or glue it.

If I'm gashed open to the point someone's coming at me with a staple gun. That's a problem I need to go to the hospital for.

kertap75 and nosnerosen like this.
  14. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

If your asking the question if you need stitches, then you need training in using sutures. Training is available for non-medical personnel, but you may have to travel and it may cost a bit. Upside is that chances are very high the class will cover a lot more than just sewing up wounds.

If not, go with all or some of the alternatives mentioned. Yes, you can use supper glue. No, its not the same as what is actually used by medical professionals, but it typically is not a problem. Seri strips should be in your kit anyway. Staple kits are easy to find, but thats an area I haven't looked into so I can't say much about them.

kertap75 likes this.
  15. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Training in sutures would cover when and how to use them and most people who learn that wouldn't carry them in a first aid kit weighing less than 10lbs and probably not even then in most environments.

kertap75 likes this.
  16. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I've never had to stitch myself up. I really hope I never do. I'm not nearly as :censored: as people on movies and I think i'd do a horrible job at it. *shudders*

17. CausticCrow

I have to respectfully disagree. You dont need more than some betadine, and thats the most, to clean it out enough to suture a wound. Any healthy person will be more than fine against infection as long is it is irrigated well. If you've stitched up some pants you can suture, in a very rough sense.

Unrelated to your post, in case someone new is looking at this thread, irrigating a wound is the most important thing. And even then theres been studies that the determining factor is the force used, not the solution. In most cases some saline, or even plain water (in an already healthy person) is adequate. Just flush that b**** out a lot, and close it up and keep it clean. Your body will handle 99% of things trying to infect it.

The only time I bother with an antiseptic such as betadine in the ER i work at is when someones left a laceration open for days. You wouldn't believe how often people wait till about 3 days after the fact to go to the ER for some stitches. And even then you just mix it with some sterile water/ saline and flush it out a lot. I've never seen someone come back for an infection, unless theres been some severe negligence.

PS for my own liability thats all false. lol...

18. CausticCrow

On the hush hush, some of the Drs will let the techs (me) staple wounds...

That s*** is great. If you can get a stapler, forget the sutures.

It hurts like a b**** but... I don't really care about waht kind of pain i cause to known gangbangers...

Sorry bud but were fresh out of lidocaine... You're gonna hafta man through these staples...
    *CLICK*
    okay only a few more (lol)

19. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Just rub some dirt on it

20. CausticCrow

I mean hey, it's worked whenever my father said it would. lol..

CatsTide likes this.