1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Will a Maxpedition Fatboy hold a DSLR with lens attached?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by SpacemanSpiff23, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SpacemanSpiff23

SpacemanSpiff23 Loaded Pockets

I was looking for something to carry around my DSLR, that I can access quickly and easily, and the Maxped versapacks seem like the best option. I was hoping a Fatboy would hold the camera and lens, as wouldn't want to go up to the jumbo unless I absolutely had to.

The camera (Canon T1i) is about 5 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and with a lens on it, about 6 inches long. Does anyone have a Fatboy and a DSLR that can test to see if it will fit. Pictures of how it fits would be great, but I guess that would be a little hard to get.

2. knestle

knestle Banned

Re: Will a Mexpedition Fatboy hold a DSLR with lens attached?

The man(largest)i pocket of the Fatboy is 8" x 6.5" x 3". The Jumbo is 9" x 8" x 3".

3. SpacemanSpiff23

Is the 3 inches able to stech out to 4, or is it pretty much stuck at 3?

4. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

i use my Fatboy Jumbo (although a knockoff) as my DSLR bag. my cam is a Sony Alpha a200 with Kit Lens. I added 2 layers of foam on the gun compartment and on the front pocket on the main compartment. then 3 layers on the bottom. the fit is great. i can post pics of the inners of my fatboy jumbo bag if you want.

i think your cam fits on a fatboy but it will potrude (but this will be ok since the fatboy has a cinched collar) and barely fit...

5. SpacemanSpiff23

Pictures would be great. Is it a Fatboy, or a Jumbo?

6. lukaszki

lukaszki Empty Pockets

I use my Jumbo to carry Canon EOS 400d DSLR. Just had to make bottom of the main pocket thicker to prevent future damage - I used cheap mousepad. Me thinks that fatboy would be too small to carry DSLR, especially with bigger lens, e.g. 18-200 universal zoom.

7. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

Its a Jumbo, but since they differ only in width and height, I think a DSLR will fit on a Fatboy...

[​IMG]
    the foam i placed to the bottom.

[​IMG]
    my DSLR (28-80mm lens) Sony a200 in a 1 Point Tactical Sling for uber Tacticoolness. :roof:

[​IMG]
    My cam inside the Jumbo

[​IMG]
    Pic of the Jumbo. Its a knockoff. The attached pouch contains my 50mm 1.7 lens.

8. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I'd personally be quite worried about the lack of protective padding in a Jumbo...If you dropped it in the Jumbo, it wouldn't be much different than just dropping the camera on its own. I use a padded case for my DSLR just for that.

9. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

yup. padding should be added when you ever want to use the Jumbo as a DSLR bag. I've added foams on mine already.

What brand is the padded case your are using?

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've got two, but the one I use mostly right now is: http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Camera-Holster-Black/dp/B000AI9L02

It's small, which I like, and I don't have any really fancy zoom lenses yet, so it fits my camera with the standard lens great. I have a larger one for if I wanted to carry other stuff also.

11. towheadedmule

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

I wouldnt use a fatboy, jumbo or any other non dedicated bag for my DSLRs (Canon 400d and 40D)

Lowepro or Tamrac make really good bags

this is my current. Tamrac Velocity Series

12. SpacemanSpiff23

I currently have a Lowepro Slingshot, which is really nice. but it is a little slow to get the camera out if something happens quickly that I would want to get a picture of. I was planning on getting a versipack anyway, and a was just wondering if I could use the large compartment to carry a camera. I think I would get a Jumbo, and ise the extra space for padding.

Thanks for the pics Godcode. That sling looks pretty sweet.

13. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I've traveled half way around the world with an old Tamrac shoulder bag. 1-3 bodies, 2-4 lenses, batteries, through security easy, doesn't move and is effortless to partially open and instantly pull out a camera. I've looked at modding several bags for it, and while I used to use a Lowepro (smallish Ltz) for daily stuff, I just take the Tamrac now.

Some people feel that most profesisonal kit has enough "protection" built into the body and lenses to be fine in any bag. I'm not one of those people and my equipment is of the pro-sumer level. I'll probably stick to the Tamrac for anything other than heavy hikes or biking.

Then I'd say a jumbo would be a good choice candidate for a modded bag. Or something from Boqq or Timbuk2.

14. dirtbuster

dirtbuster Empty Pockets

I was able to fit a D60 (with 18~55 lens) with no problem. No where to put the extra lens though unless you have one of those rolly polly. Most of the time I used Colossus if I am carrying extra lenses

15. Aquilon

Aquilon Loaded Pockets

I have a Fatboy (not a Jumbo) and a Canon DSLR. I can try it out tonight when I get home from work and get you some pictures if you're still trying to figure this out. I've never attempted to carry the DSLR in the Fatboy, only because I have a dedicated Tamrac bag that allows me to haul all my lenses and other camera gear. Most of the time I just have a little Canon Elph of some sort in my EDC setup. I'm guessing the DSLR would probably fit so long as you don't need to carry any extra lenses or a lot of other gear in there.

16. swatpup102

swatpup102 Loaded Pockets

Will an Acer 10.1" fit in a Maxpedition Fatboy even if it sticks a little out of the main compartment with drawstring? I'd really like to carry a Fatboy and I'd like to have that netbook with me, but it looks like the fatboy might be just a little too small to do so based on the dimensions. Do they give a little to squeeze it in?