1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Will a Maxpedition EDC Jumbo work?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Cyo, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Cyo

Cyo Empty Pockets

I'm looking at the Maxpedition EDC jumbo as a carry bag for a trip I'm planning for Africa. For my daily routine, I'll want a bag that can carry a lightweight jacket or fleece, a bottle of water, binoculars, and a small assortment of EDC items. The jacket is likely to be:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63073?feat=jacket|blazer-SR0

I think that should be able to be crushed up and shoved into the bottom of the Maxpedition bag, but I'm not sure.

So, those with the bag, can you shove a fleece or jacket in a Maxpedition Jumbo? I think all the other pockets will work well, I'm just concerned about the jacket.

Thanks.

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

It would have to be a pretty lightweight jacket (like a nylon windbreaker) to fit inside a Jumbo. I can't say confidently that a cotton/canvas jacket would fit, but it might, if folded properly. However, I have often tucked a jacket under the main flap of my Jumbo and cinched down the strap to hold it tightly. I find that to be pretty handy when I'm on a hike and get too warm for the jacket I'm wearing.

3. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Definitely won't fit inside the Jumbo.
    I have an extremely thin "jacket" and that barely fits. But your jacket appears to have heavier material and is more substantial.
    However, Cyo's method sounds nice.

4. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I find the Jumbo uncomfortable to carry for a long period of time loaded down with stuff as heavy as a jacket, binoculars, and water. I would look at something with 2 straps. But YMMV.

5. LukeK

LukeK Loaded Pockets

I have a Jumbo EDC and while I love it, it's not the bag for this kind of trip, if I were you Id go for a Rush 24, you get all the organization of the Jumbo edc you can carry water in a side pocket and there is a large area for extra clothing etc.

6. Cyo

Cyo Empty Pockets

After more looking, I may go with the Sitka. It seems it would hold what I need and be more easy to carry for travel than a true backpack. When I have a small pack, I found I almost never use both straps; it's always just over one shoulder. Although, the Pygmy Falcon 2 is very tempting.

7. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Heh, I was actually going to recommend the Pygmy Falcon II to you...but I see you have already been considering it. The water bottle holders on the sides are wonderful.

8. Kontour

Kontour Loaded Pockets

The Sitka is good, but if you're spending long days with it on you'll find you'll get a sore shoulder with all that gear in there. Also if its hot there no real ventilation on the back panel. That said, they are a great bag and not having to take it off to get inside can be a real help when traveling.

9. maasan

maasan Loaded Pockets

I used to have Sitka, but sold it off because of the issue mentioned by Kontour.

Sitka was great for short urban strolling, but when the pack was stuffed and got heavy, my shoulder started aching after a few hours walking. I tried Malaga, Sitka, Jumbo EDC, Evac Plan b, and Patagonia Atom for several months each, but for me none was comfortable enough to carry a heavy load all day. So I think it's an inherent limitation of one shoulder packs.

However, if you have iron shoulders, then Sitka is best in this category IMHO and can be a great pack for traveling as well as for edc. If I'm sturdy to withstand a heavy load on one shoulder, Sitka would have been my favorite edc pack.

FYI, my current favorite pack is 5.11 COVRT 18. I've tried quite a few tactical/edc packs discussed here in urban, outdoor, and travel situations, and COVRT 18 performs best so far. If you're interested, take a look at TARFU's great review.

braswes likes this.
  10. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I carried my Jumbo to work every day, and elsewhere, for years. It was great, except when I had to walk long distances. Then, even at a 10 lb load, after 5 miles it got really uncomfortable. I switched to a Maxpedition Typhoon backpack with 10X4 bottle holder attached (the smallest backpack I could find), and it not only holds more, but holds it more stably and more comfortably, and even after 15 miles it feels great. I have a Rush 24 also, which I love when I need to carry a lot of stuff (took it to the top of Mt. Washburn), but the Typhoon is perfect as a comfortable way to carry just the essentials.

For a trip to Africa I would definitely prefer a backpack. It will hold more things more comfortably than any single shoulder bag.

11. Force Attuned

Force Attuned Loaded Pockets

I can fit my Underarmour Barrage jacket in my Jumbo. Very thin jacket though.

12. westernhaikus1

westernhaikus1 Loaded Pockets

If you're really sold on one shoulder sling bags, check out the MOAB 10 from 5.11. It's got enough room for your jacket and other sundry items. If you load it down heavily it will wear your shoulder down after long periods of carry BUT it's strap is ambidextrous, so it can be switched to carry on the opposite shoulder in about 30 seconds or less. One of the few (only?) sling bags with this capability.