1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wife needs EDC w/out knowing it

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by rtvolk, Oct 12, 2014.

1. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

100% agreed.

My wife's handbag is such a chaos but she insists that her "setup" is the only way to organize and find stuff for her.

She carries a SAK Manager on her keychain though and a Fenix E01 in her handbag and she loves and actually uses both.

Dont push her, just offer her solutions when she has a problem. That seems to works best.

2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I do NOT recommend this! I only have two non-key things on my keychain, but the keys and such are in the order I like and I have what I want on my keychain. It does not have a light, knife, etc on it, and that's how I want it. You take it upon yourself to take apart some thing that is exclusively mine against my knowledge or will because you have ideas on how it "should be"... You are in for a big argument.

Buy her a little light or knife. If she chooses to use it, awesome. If not, leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Of course, to be fair, you're one of the keychain-obsessive types. :D

Atherakhia, ManVsLawn and rtvolk like this.
  4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'm not, though. At all. I logically put my keys in order of how much I use each one. That's it; don't think or care about it beyond that. But it's MY keychain, so why the :censored: would someone think it's ok to take it apart without my knowledge or consent just because they think their way is better?!

rtvolk, Dubbs, kd7dvd and 2 others like this.
  5. rtvolk

rtvolk Loaded Pockets

I also have a purposeful arrangement to my keys. My wife only arranges her work keys in a specific way and I wouldn't dare touch those. On her non-work keys, she literally has more split rings than keys!

I think I'm sold on giving her a small light and SAK. Pink will be a must.

ManVsLawn and GatorMedic like this.
  6. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I first bought a Kershaw Funxion EMT for my wife. She kept using mine and always talked about how much she liked it, so I picked one up at the Kershaw factory sale and she now loves it. Then I bought her an Olight i3 and a Gerber Dime for her birthday(in addition to a 'real' gift) and she likes having them on her keys. The Dime is a hunk of junk, so I convinced her to use a Leatherman Micra like mine and bought that. So far it is working.

Before when I tried to talk her into carrying some EDC items, she wouldn't go for it. Now I just give her what she needs a little at a time.

rtvolk likes this.
  7. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

The way it worked for me is to not force it or even bring it up necessarily. Her exposure to my preparedness was enough to plant the seed naturally... and eventually, she would tentatively ask about something I was using or if I had this or that in my bag because she needed it. Simultaneously, I was secretly piecing together an EDC bag and load-out on an Amazon wishlist. One day, after at least a couple of years of EDC on my part, she comes in the office and asks "what if I wanted a bag to take with me?" — and the rest is history. I had her write a list of things she found herself using on a daily basis, then a separate one of things she needed on occasion (at least once a week). From there, I showed her the wishlist I had already built and we sat down and went through it together, editing and finalizing a solution that met her requirements and wasn't burdensome.

Point is, I just let the obvious benefits of EDC do the work for me and she naturally became curious, or at the very least, wanted the same conveniences for herself. Now, she is even interested in getting her CHCL and has picked out a firearm she loves. She's on that glorious road to EDC!

Lou_G and rtvolk like this.
  8. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

After my last post to this thread, I added a LED Lenser flashlight to my wife's keychain. She said it made the keychain too heavy to attach to her dog walking hip sack. Sounds crazy, but yep that's what she said. So I got copies of our 2 keys made on a new carabiner and added a streamlight nano light, a kensington data traveler usb, and a whistle. She's now using these as her main keys, when she's not walking the dogs, which she carries in her purse. I'd really like to add an EDC knife into the mix, but the wife is so accident prone that it seems like a bad idea.

One small step for husband... one giant leap for tricking wife into EDCing!

rtvolk and Lou_G like this.
  9. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

For me, convincing SWMBO of anything is a matter of getting her to think she came up with the idea.
    My advice means less than others, so I just have to be patient and let her find out for herself (with some unassuming help).
    My patience is even sometimes rewarded with my 3 favourite words: You were right.

rtvolk and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Stinger

Stinger Banned

My wife really likes SAK's - You know those little folding knives with the toothpick and tweezers inside the handle scales! She'd carry my SAK, 'Sentinel' in a minute (if I'd let her).

Just yesterday she found a tick embedded on one of our cats. First thing she said is, 'Give me that knife you have with the tweezers in the handle.' Sure enough, she popped that nasty litter critter right off; and, 'Reckless' (our cat) seemed so grateful!

[​IMG]

Last edited by Stinger, Oct 19, 2014
  11. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

I put a few things on my wife's keychain and in her car a while back. She had zero interest at the time, but now once in a while I see her using her gear.

rtvolk likes this.
  12. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

This is America, just get a new wife.

rtvolk and Dubbs like this.
  13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Organized purse is an oxymoron.

rtvolk and Dedrich like this.
  14. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

My Wife was against any kind of EDC until hit a jackpot on a slot machine. Ever since then she keeps a little something in Her pouch.

15. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

My wife noticed noticed/liked my Tritium on my keys....blue one for her going into her stocking this year :)

rtvolk likes this.
  16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Agreed. Many women in general are like that. They never listen to their boyfriend/husband. Yet, if their friends encourage it, you can bet she'll be doing it.

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*snort* People in general are like that. Mostly it comes from an innate resistance to perceived authority and a contest of power - be it man or woman. But peer pressure and the urge to conform are powerful and occasionally subtle influences.

rtvolk likes this.
  18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I could start listing the ways I have of getting my husband to do stuff, but I'd probably exceed my broadband limits.

Sent by owl post.

Dubbs, rtvolk, Dedrich and 1 other person like this.
  19. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure its that kind forum.

But tell us anyway:D

Atherakhia and rtvolk like this.
  20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!