1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Wide Long Strap Hatred

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tbzbbt, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I been looking at a pile of bags I've accumulated and my feelings toward them. One thing I have recognised is my intense dislike for bags that are more strap than bag. Any bag that cannot stand up on the floor unaided; or gets wrapped around the gear stick and handbrake when I throw it across the truck; causes people to trip over the tangled strap across the floor....

Exhibit 1: Hazard 4 Plan B. Strap is almost the size of the bag. The bag is also too oddly shaped to be useful.
    Exhibit 2: Crumpler Messenger Bags. I have many of these that used to use car seat belts with associated buckles even for their small bags. Too much hassle.
    Exhibit 3: The 5.11 Mike NBT holdall with its 3inch wide strap.
    Exhibit 4: MOAB and similar sling packs, some of which have fixed barnacles that make it worse.

There is obviously a market for double-width straps that accomodate gear molle, but it detracts from its very portability. Dual strap backpack obviously have shorter straps, but they are also far narrower. I'm not convenced that such a wide strap is necessary for a single strap unless you are carry significant weight on one shoulder...

tbzbbt

reppans likes this.
  2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I agree w/ you... also straps that are so stiff (some TB2s) they're like carrying a hula-hoop around. My EDC strap, adjusted for cross-body carry, is doubled up at the shoulder/chest contact points so I can split the double-layer instead to be double-wide surface area, making it a lot more comfortable. Also most single-strap messenger bags can be rigged as dual-strap backpacks, with just a piece of cord or carabiner, as long as the strap isn't too wide/stiff.

That said, overbuilt wide/thick/stiff straps do have their place - makes sense for a professional bicycle messenger that carries one loaded all day.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok but short ones are even worse!
    At least you can manage the long ones usually but the short ones are just useless.

1st World Problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ox71 likes this.
  4. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I'm a big guy (ok, huge) and I have to say that a wide strap is more comfortable for me to carry my daily First Tactical Summit work bag fully loaded. It's about 2" and with the strap pad it fits me and distributes well. Had a couple bags early on with 1" straps and they were horrible unless you carried a pound or less of gear.
    Now I just received the 5.11 Select Carry sling and I can't figure this thing out. Because of its odd shape you have to slip it on on the opposite side than I normally would put on my other bags, and even with the concealed carry pouch removed refuses to sit flat on my shoulder, instead sitting at a weird angle with the edges touching my shoulder and a couple inches up my neck. It's awkward to say the least.
    So if we're talking about a wider web belt to distribute weight better, I can definitely feel the benefits of that. If we're talking about a 3 to 4 inch wide padded strap, then I too have an issue with that kind of bag.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

steveje likes this.
  5. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

not my experience with the moab at all, of course I did not buy the bag to lay on the seat of a vehicle but to carry my gear.
    a shorter narrow strap would be useless.

ox71

steveje likes this.