1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

why?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by outdoorsman196, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SharpScott

SharpScott Loaded Pockets

I wear a watch because it looks good and is the only form of jewellery I wear. Never used to wear one, but never really take mine off now except to sleep. There's times that I need an accurate timepiece where I'm not near a phone or other timepiece (for example, aircraft or areas' that don't allow phones).

I also means that I don't have to rely on my phone's ridiculously short battery and can get a quick time update at a glance. Plus I can use mine to navigate and as it's an automatic, never have to worry about the battery.

I'm currently overseas, and bought myself a Casio F-91W to keep as my "other timezone" watch.

Yeah that's right, I'm wearing TWO watches.

Scott.

2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can we have titanium paperclips in the store? :)

mooshisho and gstojinovic like this.
  3. musicman13

musicman13 Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure the only time I've ever used a paper clip was to unlock the bathroom door that had one of those push locks on it.

4. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recall a very old issue of Mac World (mid 1980s sometime) in which a writer called the (unfolded) paperclip "the shepherd's crook of the 20th century" due to its usefulness in removing floppies from crashed Macintoshes and hitting other reset buttons.

In the 21st century, about the only thing I use a paperclip for is to assemble my tax forms...

5. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have a paperclip in my tech tool kit for opening up optical drives, when the PC is powered down. Very hi tech precision tools, we're talking about :D

6. SecretMember

SecretMember Loaded Pockets

This thread has now been taken over by tactical paperclips.

7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

This reminds me to add a paperclip to my edc. Thanks xD

8. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Take two, they're small :)

9. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Oh, reminds me to make another set of my paperclip lock picks. Great hobby :D

kd7dvd likes this.
  10. robotlogik

robotlogik Loaded Pockets

For me, its mostly just because I want to. I think watches are cool, I only own 2, one quartz and one automatic, and I just got into them a couple of years ago, before that I always used my cellphone to check the time. Most of the time I have a cellphone and an ipod touch in my pockets, so it wouldn't be a big deal to just pull that out to check the time. Another reason I wear a watch is that I can see the time in the dark without having to have a bright light shining in my face while I do it, this is really only an issue in very dark environments. And lastly, I also think it's somewhat rude for someone to be checking their cellphone while speaking to someone else. With a watch, all you need to do it glance down instead of pulling a device out of your pocket and looking at it. Think about if someone's speaking to you and they pull their cellphone out, you might think that this person really doesn't care about what you're saying, even though they may just be checking the time, you may not know, they might be reading their text messages or email. In this type of situation I usually just have my watch outside of my shirt cuff and just pretend to look toward the ground for a brief moment if I have to. It might sound stupid and maybe it is, but hey, it works for me, plus I like my watches a lot so, that's about it.

11. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

About thirteen years ago, just after after vacation on Amorgos (a Greek island), I stopped wearing a watch as I decided it only caused me stress, and I didn't need more stress in my life.

While not wearing a watch, I realized that most of the times I looked at my watch, I didn't really care what time it was. Or at least, I didn't care enough to pull my mobile to look at the time. Eight years passed not wearing a watch and then...

My wife got me the best looking watch my eyes had seen. Don't imagine anything too expensive or "special" or rare, it was just my idea of the "perfect watch" materialized.

This:
    [​IMG]

So I started wearing a watch again, not while in my home or office but anywhere else. Because, it is just too handsome to leave it home :D

kd7dvd likes this.
  12. Jutt

Jutt Loaded Pockets

Because, when the S-H-T-F an automatic watch won't be affected by the EMP equipped zombie horde. Duh…

CheepSteal, kd7dvd and gstojinovic like this.
  13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

• Because it's always at hand ... almost literally so.
    • Because I don't need to have my hands free to look at it.
    • Because I can carry it even when I don't have any pockets on my person (swimming, running, working out, sleeping etc.).
    • Because I think an analogue watch is better for seeing at a glance approximately what time it is. This might be a matter of habits, and perhaps I belong to the last generation where some of us still think so. Or maybe I'm just stupid. Anyway, to me, that's how it is.
    • Because it is one of very few pieces of jewelry a man can get away with.

jag-engr likes this.
  14. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

Loose power because of weather results in no way to recharge a cell phone, yet the
    watch keeps doing it's job of giving you the correct time.

15. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

I wear a watch because through some of my working life you couldn't have a phone on you! Also phone batteries always have less juice in them than you need.

Watches were 'issued' and you :censored: well looked after them. I still have my issued watch, an oversight obviously:)

Jon pretty much nailed it in an earlier post, in Europe the only way people had to tell the time when out and about or working in the fields was the clock on the church or to hear the bells. Early church clocks only had an hour hand, close enough if you're working in the fields right?

As watches came along they were originally so expensive they were more status symbols than anything else. Technology, gadgets get mass produced and everybody wants the watch like the Guvnor has. So gradually they become the norm a bit like toasters.

M:)

Last edited by smashie, Jul 5, 2012
  16. bsd

bsd Loaded Pockets

I don't leave my house without my watch. I don't want to reach into my pocket and pull out my phone, just to see the time. A quick look to my left wrist and I know.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  17. andrew p

andrew p Empty Pockets

I think watches are the most under rated piece of survival equipment. Its a measuring device that can last a long time on a small battery, or with out a battery at all in a wind up case. This is more important in group situation or missions that require timing. They can give you an accurate measure of how much daylight you have in a survival situation. They can be synchronized with other watches. They can come with other useful tools such as a barometer, altimeter and thermometer.
    Most people these days use their phones to keep track of time. Phones have short battery life, are prone to malfunctions, are bulky, and their back-light can give away position.

18. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Well, in my case, What I do, and where I live means the phone is not on me at all times. Either for being in a rural area and not having signal, or what I'm doing could ruin the phone. Or both. And, its a lot simpler to glance at my left wrist, even without stopping work or putting anything down, than have to have a free/clean hand, get the phone out, open or unlock it, then put it back...

As to computers, i don't work with one, and there are no wall clocks in 95% of the paces i have to be... even indoors, in public places, clocks are few and far between these days... I think buisinesses (wrongly)assume everyone has a watch or phone for the time.

G.

19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wear a watch because of school- there weren't any phones allowed in class to check the time and the clocks always stunk. Example- one of my old teachers had two clocks in her room, one at the front and one at the back. The one at the front was always fast by 5+ minutes, and the one at the back was always slow by 10+minutes. I preferred actually having the correct time, so i started wearing a watch. I never lost the habit, so here I am typing with a watch on. another thing is that phones die, it happens. Solar or auto watches don't.
    I also don't like sticking my hand into my pocket every half hour or so to grab my phone and look at the time, it's more convenient to just turn my wrist to glance at my watch.

20. Dapple

Dapple Loaded Pockets

I miss wearing a watch and hope to start up again sometime soon. Aside from all the reasons listed in this thread, my primary reason actually hasn't been mentioned yet: the countdown timer.

I've been hooked on this watch and any other with the same countdown feature since my mom introduced me to it by her own constant use. Push the button once and it's a minute, again is three minutes, again is 5, then 10, 15, 20, and 30. There isn't even any need to actually look at the watch face. Cooking food and don't want to burn it? Give it a minute - literally - with a single touch to your wrist and the alarm will tell you when that time has passed. Tell someone you'll be there in five, touch the button three times, and you'll know precisely when 5 minutes are up which frees you to do other things in the meantime without keeping an eye on the clock. It's also very convenient for personal management, if, say, you need to get off the computer and do something else, click it a few times to buy yourself some minutes and the alarm will keep you from losing track of time and getting sucked into the addiction again. Want just one more minute? Okay, push it again. Alarm. One more? Believe me, you'll get tired of it. :p

Watches in general are a good idea, but this particular feature is what really seals the deal for me.

kertap75 likes this.