1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why..why..WHY??? (pens)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by DCBman, May 5, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Aside from Fountain Pens, the most universally loved rollerball pen/cartridge is the Pilot G2. Am I wrong about this??? It's the smoothest ink and the go-to pen of all time. Hands down, the G2 is the bomb of a pen, right?

Why then, do not most custom pen manufacturers make pens which take the G2? ??? It's almost like the consciously avoid the G2.

Recently I bought a Ti2 Techliner. It takes a Uni 207 (or so I thought). No, now the new ones only take a Uni Jetstream (which is not a gel pen).

For the coolest pen, why not take a G2???? I just don't get it. You can't hardly find a custom pen which will accept the all-time-favorite, Pilot G2 refill!! They just don't do it, and I don't get it.

surefire7 and SRacer2000 like this.
  2. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

Agreed, there aren't enough G2 host pens and almost to many Parker style. Right now I'm really liking the Pelikan Stola II and Sheaffer VFM with G2 refills. The VFM is a straight drop in. The Stola needs to be drilled out, lathe worked really well. Not really high end pens but I'm pleased. The balance on the Stola is very nice, it's just the right weight.

Last edited by SRacer2000, May 6, 2016
    DCBman likes this.
  3. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I have 2 tactile turn movers. I like a papermate gel insert that is roughly the same as the pilot g2 which the mover is designed for. also I have a retract from karas that takes the g2. Both are great pens.

DCBman likes this.
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Most custom pens are made to fit Parker for laziness, Parker compatible tips on clickes are easier to machine than g2 because of how the spring sits on that refill. Also tolerances on g2 style refills allow for less error so chances of an offbrand g2 refill not fitting pens are larger than on Parker style so selling pens made for them off just asking for trouble.

DCBman likes this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yesterday I had a new Pilot Metropolitan I'd ordered show up (yay). I already had a Metro in a FP variation, but this one is in a rollerball configuration. It shipped with a fine black G2 refill. Not particularly fond of the fine tip, so I switched it out for the venerable 07 G2 in blue. With just a few strokes the new pen went to the front of the favorites list. Not bad for a $12 buck pen!

Lately my go-to EDC pen has been the Ti2 titanium Techliner, but as noted it only takes the Uni Jetstream refills. I'd thought it took the Uni 207/307 gel refills (the Jetstream is not gel). The 207/307's fit fine, but the magnets prevent the ink from flowing properly. To fix requires switching the magnets. Mike Bond of Ti2 Designs was kind enough to send me the proper magnets for the 207/307's to work. I still love the pen, and the 207/307 refills (particularly the 307) are very close to the G2 for writing experience, but I can definitely tell the difference between the two. One thing I've noticed since using the Uni 307's is the G2 requires a little more upright hold than the 307 for a uniform line weight. For me, I find this hold results in a little neater and more precise writing.

The Uni 307 ink formula is a little bit more durable than the G2, especially when it comes to water. Previously I hadn't really had any experience with the 207/307 pen/ink combos as the G2's are by far and away the most common pen stocked in most offices. I think the 307 evolution puts the Uni right up there with the G2's (a thought probably not lost on the Uni company), so I suspect we'll start seeing more of these.

In any case, this thread is about the G2. I still just find it rather surprising that more high quality pens aren't developed to take the G2 refill given its near total saturation in the office market. Westerdutch does make a good point though about tolerances. I'm just not a big fan of the Parker refills, and even the gel refill leaves a lot to be desired.

6. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I think the G2 refills require a slightly longer pen so if you like a shorter pen it rules out that refill. I agree with the right clicky,bolt or twist mechanism the length can be cut down . For example I noticed the G2 body width does fit in the maxmadco..with just a few modifications of the tip and bolt length a G2 could work.

The real question or issue I think is ink formula though. A prime example is Cross who has their own ballpoint refills but they have ink technology from 1975. Lamy is another who has a proprietary ballpoint ink but it writes terribly. .how do these manufactures stay in business..from their other pen refills and moving manufacturing to the cheapest place. They really put no research or effort into ink technology whereas pilot and uniball do. It further amazes me as parker and uniball are owned by sanford.. why not put the uniball ink into the parker gel refills.

I agree though..if the pen manufacturers big or small cannot produce a ink refill with modern ink technology they should build their pens to accept refills from ink manufacturers that know what they are doing.

DCBman likes this.
  7. ghbrumbaugh

It's not just the ink, the ball is a major factor too. Putting G2 or 207 ink in a bic pen it will still write like a bic pen.

Companies like Cross, Lamy, Parker, Waterman and even Mont Blanc live off there name. They don't need to make a highly usable pen when they still have status. The other reason they don't make decent refills is money, they don't make $ on the refills like they do on the pen. Plus I bet you like 75% of the Jotters and Centurys out there never get out of the box.

I think uniball is still owned by uni Mitsubishi Pencil out of Japan, Sanford is just the importer and distributor.

DCBman likes this.
  8. ghbrumbaugh

9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've gotta say that I personally prefer the Signo 207/307 refill but I still bought a dozen black G2s last time I needed good loaner pens... they're excellent pens. I personally think that the lack of pens being made to accommodate the G2 refill is because the G2 is not as available as Parker refills (ironically they are called the International G2), possibly because they are not as in demand, and because they are considerably longer in length for a shorter writing time than a ballpoint Parker refill. In addition, the Parker knock mechanism for which the Parker refill was designed is very simple and robust. There are very few moving parts and nothing too terribly small, so a pen using the true Parker knock instead of a self contained knock would possibly be a bit easier to make on a small - company scale than a metal replication of the G2 knock.
    With Schmidt knocks' availability, however, I think the main issue is the length of the refill in return for the length of usable line it will write. Many people want to grab a pen and forget about it for a few months. I can use up a G2 in a week or 2 if I'm using it exclusively.

DCBman likes this.
  10. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I actually like the Schmidt EasyFlow 9000 refill better than the G2. I also like the Mont Blanc Fineliner better as well.

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I prefer InkJoy or Energel pens to the G2s.

12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I actually prefer the Pilot V-7 refills, but G2 refills are so easily available, I use them a lot. I do a LOT of writing on the job, so I go through quite a few. I use the G2's often in my Waterman rollerball, but I, too would like to see more quality clicker-type pens using the G2 size refills. They are quicker to deploy, and there are times where I don't want to have a fairly expensive pen in play. I'm thinking of buying one of the Tac Ti stylus pens, as it seems to be one of the few quality pens that handles the G2, and for a reasonable price. I have a couple of Parkers, though and gel & easy flow refills make those pens more desirable. I do prefer the shorter length of them. Many mens shirt pockets are marginal for G2 length pens.

13. ghbrumbaugh

The Pilot V-5 was my go to before I found the G2. I love the needle point, but I find the V-5 bleeds a bit more than the G2. Gel verses standard ink.

I spent the weekend trying something as far G2 fitting. I found the using tiny thin aluminum tube cut to length I can get a very exact and snug fit. I've finished two Parker rollerball pens, oddly both required different tube configurations to fit the G2.

14. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Try being a Hi-Tec C lover...... Every pen I want for the Hi_tec refill only comes for the G2!! :mad:

15. ghbrumbaugh

Is the tip that different?

16. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

It's a needle point tip.

17. ghbrumbaugh

I meant the whole plastic tip section. In pictures it looks tiered the same as a G2. I need to get a refill to see if they could be modified to fit Pilot G2 type pen. I didn't know they went down to .25mm, I'm interested.

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

They're about the finest tip gel pen I've found. Normally I don't like fine tips, but when it comes to something that fine I really like them. Most fine tips are scratchy, but not the Hi-tec-C's. Those and the Sakura Pigma MICRON pens (but these aren't gel and they will bleed through many papers).

SRacer2000 likes this.
  19. ThirstyTurtle

ThirstyTurtle Loaded Pockets

My favorite thing about the G2 is that there are TONS of them at work for me to pirate the refills from!

SRacer2000 likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

If memory serves, sometime during the past year Cross was making noise about a new ink formulation they were using for the bp refills. I don't use Cross bp pens so didn't bother to try this out. Anyone out there who can add to this?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David