1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why the F-701?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by fortinj1354, Jan 14, 2013.

1. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

That's actually one of the things that makes it so liked. The F-701 takes a Fisher refill quite nicely, but you need to prep it just a bit. There are three common ways to deal with this.

Unscrew the writing tip of the 701. Use a paper clip to push out the plastic piece.

The first way is to stretch it. I've had good luck with some pieces working them over the Fisher refill and then working them backwards over the narrow end of the thicker Zebra cartridge that came with the pen. If you're lucky, doing this and maybe letting it sit for 10 minutes on the Zebra cartridge permanently stretches it enough to where it will work smoothly with the Fisher refill. This is my best-case preference.

Then there is the fold-over method where you fold the narrow tip of the plastic piece inward, again working it backward over the Zebra cartridge to stretch it. This worked for me on pens where the plastic piece simply refused to stay stretched after the spring pushed against it in the tip. This is my second choice method.

Then there is the method whereby the modder uses a razor or other implement to cut off the narrow tip of the plastic piece. Its simple and it works first time, but I don't prefer it because, in my experience, its leaves the pen nib just a little bit sloppy. Not much, but enough to where you might notice a click when you set the tip to paper to write. The other two methods seem to leave the tip suitably reinforced to where there is no play.

I've made six of the F-701 SS Space Pen mods so as to have one available wherever I might need it, ie. one in my coat, one in my car, my desk, my portfolio, etc. Just today I used the one in my portfolio over the course of several hours.

Seriously, if you're into pens and even mildly interested in performing a simple mod, the F-701 SS Space Pen mod is a very rewarding, fun little project. It basically makes a decent $7.00 pen into a sharp looking, reasonably bullet-proof, write anywhere Space Pen for around $15-$16.

mooshisho and ATF like this.
  2. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

^ Thanks a bunch for that! Now I gotta get me one from the Amazon.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Get one of the USA made Parker Jotters off ebay while your at it. Whenever the plastic guts of the Zebra fall apart you'll have something to fall back on. Can use a fisher refill in that too.

4. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

You totally can.

It requires some chopping of the refill, respringing it, cutting down the plastic insert in the nib(?) of the 701, but totally doable.
    [​IMG]

Ogre likes this.
  5. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Loaded Pockets

6. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Basically, it involves grabbing the spring off of the original ballpoint refill, and stretching it to fit the gel refill. You want to have the top of the spring extend to about 4mm above the 'narrow-ink-area' portion of the refill.

You'll also need the black plasticky gubbin from the end of the ballpoint refill ,to stick into the gel refill after you cut it down so that they're the same length.

7. Pima Pants

Thank you very much for the additional instructions. I will try it tonight when I have both pens in front of me.

8. Pima Pants

Well, I tried it and ruined the plastic inserts in the nibs of two 701s. Just can't get the gel replacements to work. I now have three useless pens. I'm done experimenting.

Ogre likes this.
  9. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

How did you ruin them, exactly? If you don't want them and are done trying to make it work, I'll pay the shipping so I can play with them. :)

10. Ogre

Ogre Banned

Whaaa?

All I did was match lengths of the two inserts, cut the gel to size, insert tailcap from original 701 insert, exacto knife to cut tip nib to about 2mm long, trim about 30% off the spring and it was perfect. Been rolling my gel 701 for a few months. Dont give uuuuuuupppp!

*Transmitted via portable cellular device*