1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why So Many Digital GShock?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Ethos, Jul 21, 2017.

1. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Historically G-Shock watches have been digital and I suspect that's because it's much easier to build a shock resistant digital watch that has no moving parts. Using digital components also keeps the price down and features can be added with small changes to a chip. On the other hand, look what happens to the price of analog watches as you add complications.

As for "why" more people choose digital over analog? Probably because that's mostly what's available from Casio and I'd suspect that Casio builds more digital watches because that's what people buy. I like the G-Steel series except for the size, I can't (won't) wear something that large.

If you want an analog/digital "tool" watch and budget isn't a concern, I think the Breitling Aerospace is the best example of the species.

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

If you want to glance down and tell the approximate time, there is no better way than analog. If you use the common functions of chronometer, countdown timer, day of the week/date, or alarm, digital provides the easiest way to set and read those functions.

As a scuba diver, I wear an analog watch in the water even though I own a G-Shock Frogman. I also use an analog compass but every other dial and gauge is digital.

And as an owner of several ana-digi watches, I believe that it's a great compromise that is fun to wear but I wouldn't wear it if the digital information was crucial.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

3. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Well, here's a rare one with just time, not even date. :)

[​IMG]

Ethos, Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@stockae92: now THAT'S what I call a clean looking face on a watch! I could get behind that for sure! How old is it?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

This is vintage 1998 I believe, MRG-121T-8A. Titanium case and bracelet, screwdown caseback, even has EL to light up the dial for night time viewing.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Very nice! I'll be looking to see if there is a current version... I knew I needed incentive to buy another G-shock! LOL

Thanks for that!

Moshe ben David