1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why so little love for the LM Surge?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by rpm00, Sep 29, 2013.

1. rpm00

rpm00 Loaded Pockets

I'm planning on getting my first REAL multitool. I have a couple cheap ones but want to move up to a LM. I wouldn't be EDCing, just using it around the house, but want something high quality. I've been looking at the Wave and Surge. I think I like the Surge better simply because it's beefier and I'm equating that with strength. Since I'm not carrying it, I don't think the added weight over the Wave is a big issue, but if it means higher quality, then I'm all for the larger one.

But I'm curious why there's so little love for the Surge on here? Nobody really says much negative about it, it just doesn't seem to come up as an option very often.

So I'm curious if there's something missing about it. Why isn't it more popular?

bzimmerly likes this.
  2. GearAdDiCtIoN

GearAdDiCtIoN Loaded Pockets

The surge being a larger "beefier" tool as you put it, isn't a lot of peoples first choice for edc. I edc'd mine on my belt for over a year or so, but since changing jobs an working somewhere I can wear shorts. As well as since I modded my wave with rebar jaws, i pocket carry my wave and keep my surge in my "satchel" :wink: .

All of that said I absolutely love my surge. It's never failed any task I've put it to work on, and I'm looking forward to purchasing the new and improved surge. Which I'm more than certain i will be replacing the wave with for awhile, because unfortunately winters fast approaching so pants are back on duty .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. mikey

mikey Banned

I dont see much hate for it. It is a great MT and the only negative might be weight if you carry it but I wouldn't hesitate to put one in my bag. :D

Nick4305 likes this.
  4. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Hey rpm00, I have found the same thing when I started a thread looking at the Wave, Charge TTi and Surge, votes split between the Wave and Charge TTi, in the end I am looking at the Surge as an actual EDC, the reason's I will be getting it is the overall strength and feel in my hands, I have large hands and just felt the Surge fitted better, my ReBar is a great MT and I will still carry it even after I get my Surge, but be more redundant down the track.

I even tracked down a store here in Perth, Western Australia that carries both the Wave, Charge ALX and Surge did comparison and in the ending will go with what felt the best and gave me what I wanted - heavy duty scissors & OHO blades.

bzimmerly likes this.
  5. rpm00

rpm00 Loaded Pockets

Ok, thanks guys. So it's not just me missing some critical detail that's a deal-breaker in the Surge. I think I'm going to go down to a store that carries them all and get a feel for them in my hand.

What's this about a "new and improved surge"? Is this a new model that's coming out soon or the one that's currently available? What's the difference between the old and new?

bzimmerly likes this.
  6. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

Rumor has it that the new one will have a plierhead similar to that of the supertool 300, with replaceable wire cutters and an improved retention of the saw and files among other things. But i haven't heard anything definitive regarding release date. There is a video of leatherman introducing the new surge at the shot show, but i'm afraid i have no idea as how to post videos.

Last edited by Jramirez9083, Sep 30, 2013
  7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

not a rumor, LM has stated it themselves.

8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

also, the reason you dont hear people talk about the surge as much as the Wave or smaller ones is likely due to weight.
    Its a great tool, but for everyday carrying, the wave just works beautifully, not as heavy or bulky in a pocket or on a belt.

9. rpm00

rpm00 Loaded Pockets

Very interesting regarding the expected updates. I sent LM an email to see if they'll tell me the anticipated release date. :) I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Jramirez9083 and PPCApache like this.
  10. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

As others have said: It is too big for many peoples EDC use. For me a 120 gram difference between the surge and the charge isn't exactly a negligible difference, in fact it is quite a big one as I carry my multitools on my belt or in my pants. For your use the surge should be perfect, if I stumble upon one on discount I may very well pick it up and put it in one of my bags.

11. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

I meant that as an expression; i did mention that the company did the presentation of the new surge. Didn't mean to cause any confusion

12. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The Surge is a great tool, just heavier than most every other multitool sold. If you're using it as just an "around the house" tool, I say go for it. Even for EDC, it's still lighter than a full toolbelt.

I reserve my SuperTool 300 for house duty (and it's 3 oz. lighter than the Surge). ;)

13. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I love mine! I carry it everyday.
    [​IMG]

14. rpm00

rpm00 Loaded Pockets

So I heard back from Leatherman about the new Surge. They said:

=====
    We do indeed have an updated version of our Surge coming out soon. Please see below for some of the new features:

· Replaceable wire cutters
    · Improved blade exchanger
    · Replaced removable eyeglass bit with a fixed small driver
    · Removed the plastic tab from the scissors
    =====

This sounds like a pretty good update to me based on the reviews I've read. They didn't comment on my question about the release date though. I think I'm going to hold out for the new version.

Nick4305 and powerring like this.
  15. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

but the ST 300 does not have scissors. but i agree, the Surge is a hell of a Multitool, i think here only a little group use it fpr EDC, cause it is heavy, so there are not many comments about the surge.

Nick4305 and powerring like this.
  16. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I just meant that I'm too lazy to EDC my ST300 because of its weight. A Surge would challenge me keeping my pants up even more. ;)

For some reason, I miss the scissors less on the ST300 than I do on its smaller version, the Rebar. I guess it's because I EDC the Rebar more.

Nick4305 likes this.
  17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The surge is an awesome tool, but is definitely on the larger side of things - great if you want something tough and beefy, not so great if you want to carry it daily.

I definitely like my one, but do tend to keep it more for surge specific jobs rather than daily carry. Essentially I just can't be bothered lugging around the weight when I typically don't make use of its extra features - mine instead does a great job as a handy tool around the house, and will make semi regular appearances outside when heading out to do stuff where the extra size and weight will come in handy - sticking it in my bag when I head out to visit relatives with odd jobs needing doing, the days I know I will be working in the backshop at work building/dismantling stuff or when I am heading out knowing I will be doing DIY related stuff and want a handy all-in-one toolset.

Were I a janitor, maintenance guy or builder then perhaps it would make a lot more sense to carry daily, but for me right now I am generally better off with something lighter duty, but also much easier to carry... So to reply to the OP, if all you want it for is use about the house and not regular carry, then go for it - the surge is well recommended as a great general use tool, and a step up from options like the wave in terms of beefiness.

powerring likes this.
  18. rpm00

rpm00 Loaded Pockets

So I went to my local camping store last night to check out the tools. Wow, the Surge is sure heavier and larger than the Wave! It's hard to appreciate the difference until you feel it in your hands. I think they're both very capable tools and i would be happy with either. I think for my needs, since I don't plan to EDC this, I will probably go for the Surge. I like the ability to change the saw blades and it just generally feels stronger. It oozes quality. The scissors are also far superior. I may decide down the road to pick up something else lighter, so might be back for the Wave or a Rebar sometime soon. :)

Thanks for everyone's input!

19. Cavemanchris

Cavemanchris Loaded Pockets

I can see where people are coming from about weight for (non-construction/maintenance) edc. Mine lives in my edc/work/camping bag in partnership with a maxped fatty tool kit.

Would a supertool 300 and micra combo be of any use?

20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. ST300 has no scissors. Micra has awesome scissors (and tweezers too). :)