1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why Not Same Pistol Every Day?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by bsquared, Feb 14, 2010.

1. bsquared

bsquared Empty Pockets

I hear so much about muscle memory, practice, training, etc., but I also hear a lot about people carrying different guns depending on the circumstance. Makes sense to me to carry the same weapon in the same holster, requiring the same movement to present.

I'm newbie to this, but it makes sense to me that I want to be as consistent as possible with my piece & the deployment configuration. I carry my folder in the front pocket, same spot every day; same with my wallet, keys, etc., same spot every time. I can see having a different setup between being the car & being on foot, but not necessarily between it being Monday & Sunday.

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I carry different pistols because it gets hot as hell here, but all of the controls are the same.

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

in a perfect world, you would be right. The ability to carry concealed is a wonderful right and we should do our best to live within the laws that govern that right. The trouble is laws vary greatly by local.

in some areas, "printing" of a gun is an offense. Then there are workplace issues. clothing issues (summer time for example) gosh, lots of reasons...
    but yeah, you are correct. it's best to train with one. one gun or one family of guns, etc...

of course, there is a category of guns that one COULD carry the same gun every time. Mouseguns. But there are compromises that many don't want to make in this category, thus the idea of different sized guns as well as different calibers.

Glocks in different sizes for example are great - same machine, can be same caliber, different sizes for different uses
    ...or having a back up that's as simple as a revovler so you don't have different safety steps, etc...

4. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

Very well put Solocanoe. +1 on his statement.

Another possible reason to change up on sidearms is level of expected contact.
    In high threat zones or high profile (read: hated) employers, we tend to carry heavier larger caliber sidearms. When forced into a confrontation, they lend a better first strike (sometimes at the expense of capacity), but that is usually what is needed to push through or break out of a bad situation.
    On low profile employers (relatively unknown to general public), we tend to carry lighter weight sidearms as we just want to move quickly and avoid any exposure.
    Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages, but think of it this way:
    If you were going into a bad area of town, what would you want as your sidearm? Now how about to pick up a gallon of milk at the local supermarket?

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Same pistol everyday sounds good. But there are times when it doesn't work.

A good idea is to own 4 pistols.

Primary ~ This is the one that gets carried 90-95% of the time. Something along the lines of a compact .9mm or similar in size.

Redundant capability ~ An exact duplicate of your primary pistol. Not because you might lose it or have it stolen. More along the lines of having to use your primary, and the police need to take it into evidence. You want to be able to still be able to defend yourself effectively. Not a happy thought, but a lot of the time the bad guys have friends or family members who come looking for revenge.

Back-up pistol ~ Always a good idea. Something along the lines of an S&W model 36 or Walther PPK. It's not just your back-up, it's your primary during those few times when your primary would be out of place.

Mouse gun ~ The smallest one you own. Something along the lines of a .32 Seacamp, .25 Beretta Bobcat, or .22 North American Arms revolver. While you could carry it as a third gun along with your primary and back-up guns, it's more for use as a back-up gun when your usual Back-up is filling in for your primary. Under extreme circumstances, it becomes your primary gun when even your Back-up would be inappropriate. I don't mean when you're trying to sneak a firearm into a place where they're forbidden. More along the lines of heading to the beach with just a pair of shorts on. Perhaps you just want to catch some rays with the family, instead of catching some waves.

This 4-gun battery should cover all of your needs.

Can't take credit for this idea. It was first written in either Handguns or Guns & Ammo by Duane Thomas, several years ago.

6. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I dont want to argue the point so I wont get silly and tell you how important having 40 guns is instead of 4. and dont for get several tons of ammo.

If you can afford more than one at first, fine. If you are only planing to get 1 that is better than none. A thought to ponder, is that if you get a gun that has a .22 conversion kit that is made for it. It will make training more cost effective. Otherwise the additional purchase of a .22 will more than pay for itself in training expenses.

There are several importent reasons for some people to have different (many) guns and some do not have these issues. Talk to your friendly local police officer, gun shops and read the posts here and other gun boards and make a decision (or decisions) thats right for you and your needs. There is no substitute for proper education and training when it comes to guns.

Your issues should start with your main needs.

Are you more likely to be confronted by a two or four legged creature. Do you live on a farm or in the city.

Are you more likely to face a muliple threat confrontation (group of gang members or pack of wolves or wild dogs) or a single adversary.

What can you conceal if you are going to carry concealed.

You may have issues from season to season depending on your clothing or mode of carry etc...

You can always email me for some consultation and verify the information with others.

I have been a police offficer for 30 years, my departments armorer, I am an NRA certified instructor and have been a firearms enthusest for approx 40 years.

Good luck,
    Cliff

7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

You start out slow and practice until you think you've got it, then practice some more. When it becomes second nature (muscle memory) keep practicing. Regardless of the sidearm, the fundamentals don't change. If you switch between a pistol and a revolver, then practice with both. You can do it in your living room watching T.V. Dry-fire practice is a valuable training tool. Stand in your living room and practice your draw and fire (with an unloaded gun please.) You aren't going to hurt it unless it's a rimfire, then you may run the risk. You'll learn trigger control, your draw will get smoother, you'll get your sight alignment more naturally. The .22 conversion kits out there are a great training tool that let you burn a considerable amount of rounds for a fraction of the cost you spend on 9mm, .45 ACP, or whatever. Practice means that one day, it won't matter what gun you decide to carry. It's a tool that becomes an extension of your hand in the event you need it. If that day comes then hopefully your efforts will allow you to walk away.

Practice, practice, practice. Go to a reputable school for instruction if you can afford it, but, regardless, practice.

8. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

It is more practical and better to stick to the same handgun everyday, however sometimes its just not that easy to do. I am a law enforcement officer and I carry a full size Glock 22 .40 caliber on duty. I carry a S&W 3913 compact 9mm as backup. It is so much easier for me to carry the 9mm off duty because it is so much smaller and slimmer. I would love to be able to carry my Glock off duty but I live in Florida and it is very hot in the summer and it doesn't carry very well inside the pants, whereas the smith does. So sometimes its the nature of nature so to speak that dictates we can't carry the same gun all the time.

9. retrosurfer

retrosurfer Loaded Pockets

I carry different guns everyday depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing that day My main guns are Colt 1911 in full size and a Officers Model and Sig Sauer for duty and off duty 380 carry. I also have a Walther PPK in 380 that I carry when concealment is a must. I even have a Kahr 9-mm and a Para Warthog 45 that I carry when ultra small is need but I still want more oomph.

I shoot these guns all the time and have been carrying them for 30 years so it's second nature and the difference in feel means nothing anymore.

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I think its funny your duty weapon is a G22 and you choose to carry a dissimilar weapon for backup and then carry the backup for off-duty carry, but would prefer the G22 for off-duty. I'm curious why would you choose to carry the 9mm S&W instead of a G27 that fires the same round and work with the same magazines your G22 does?

11. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

I work for a dept. that mandates we carry our issue weapon. I personally do not like glock handguns, i don't like polymer handguns either. I don't really like a .40 caliber. I used to carry a smith model 5906 and this was as close as i could find in a small package. The only reason I carry the glock is policy. I dont like how short the grip is on the 27, or the fact that it is the same thickness as the 22, just in my opinion not very well designed. I don't have any problems transitioning between the two. I carry the smith with the safety off so its just pull and shoot.

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Cool. That means you are no one trick pony!! I assumed you carried a Smith before the Glock since that would most easily explain the 3913. I'm a firm believer that the .40 S&W caliber is the answer to a question that should have never been asked. There is enough data out there to support the fact the 9mm and .45 ACP out perform .40 S&W in all areas.

13. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

you guys probably have tons more info - I know you LEO's do for sure...I pulled out the Glock 2010 annual mag to double check this
    ...all I'm doing is quoting...

"even after two decades the original G22 is still the prevailing sidearm in the world, which is chambered in the .40 cartridge" (p.12)

I realize this is a "pro glock - all glock" magazine...but still the .40 is everywhere, (to me) gotta be a reason.

and i wish I could just as easily quote my source - to be acurrate - but also because I respect the heck out what LEO's do... :bow:
    ...but I know I have read that the .40 is the most popular law enforcement round in the US as well...

My local PD is all G22, G23, and G27's....I got a buddy's G23 he carried before it got "cycled out" - it's my fav. Glock (or gun I own) because of his affilitation with it. ;D

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Not to get off topic, but because it was brought up:

"In the aftermath of the 1986 FBI Miami shootout, the FBI started the process of testing 9mm and .45 ACP ammunition in preparation to replace its standard issue revolver with an automatic pistol. The automatic pistol offered two distinct advantages over the revolver: 1) the automatic offered increased ammunition capacity, and 2) it was easier to reload during a gunfight. The FBI was satisfied with performance of its .38 Special +P 158gr LSWCHP cartridge ("FBI load") based on decades of dependable performance. Ammunition for the new automatic pistol had to deliver terminal performance equal or superior to the .38 Special FBI Load. The FBI developed a series of practically oriented tests involving eight test events that reasonably represented the kinds of situations that FBI agents commonly encounter in shooting incidents.

During tests of 9mm and .45 ACP ammunition, FBI Firearms Training Unit, Special Agent In Charge, John Hall, decided to include tests of the 10mm cartridge, supplying his personally owned Colt Delta Elite 10mm automatic, and personally handloading 10mm ammunition. The FBI's tests revealed that a 170-180gr JHP 10mm bullet, propelled between 900-1000 fps, achieved desired terminal performance without the heavy recoil associated with conventional 10mm ammunition (1300-1400 fps). The FBI contacted Smith & Wesson and requested it to design a handgun to FBI specifications, based on the existing large-frame S&W 4506 .45 ACP handgun, that would reliably function with the FBI's reduced velocity 10mm ammunition. During this collaboration with the FBI, S&W realized it could shorten the 10mm case enough to fit within its medium-frame 9mm handguns and load it with a 180gr JHP bullet to produce ballistic performance identical to the FBI's reduced velocity 10mm cartridge. S&W then teamed with Winchester to produce a new cartridge, the .40 S&W. It uses a small pistol primer whereas the 10mm cartridge uses a large pistol primer."

15. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

still not a fan of 40s&w
    i want eather 15 small rounds or 8 realy big ones
    so 9mm or 45acp not 9 rounds in between the two

16. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

Choosing which pistol to carry based on perceived threat is a slippery slope. You can play the odds, but you may bump into 'Tarzan on PCP' in a good neighborhood, or at church, or at the laundromat, which might make you wish you had something other than the mouse gun you brought along due to the fact that you figgered the risk factor was low.
    A lot of people carry the same weapon all the time. A Colt Officer's ACP or Walther PPS or HK P7 conceal pretty nicely

17. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I think this is where practice comes in. Regardless of what you carry, if you fire two rounds and the assailant isn't down, then the third round should flip the light switch (read head.)

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Nope! Third round goes in the pelvis. There are horror stories of drug-crazied or simply mentally disturbed individuals who still kept coming, even after being shot in the head. Determination and pure will can be amazing . . . sometimes not in a good way.

Put a round in the pelvis, shatter the pelvis, and their legs can no longer physically work. Determination might cause them to crawl towards you as they keep coming. But not likely.

19. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Medulla oblongata.....doesn't matter if they are high, crazy, determined, or just stupid. Plus you can see where to aim. The way people dress these days, I'm not sure I could tell where the pelvis is...Now, if they are right up on me and I've got to shoot from close retention, that's another matter.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Aim for the lower stomach, then slightly to the left or right.

Back of the head gets results every time. But how often will such a shot present itself as the attacker is coming towards you? One of those horror stories I mentioned involved two police officers taking on an insane resident who killed one of the officers with her own gun, after he was shot in the head. Her partner eventually shot him through the top of the head. You guessed it, he STILL got up! Final shot was to the attacker's pelvis.