1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why multitools?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by waldamir, May 10, 2017.

1. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I have various MT stashed around my house. The junk drawer in the kitchen has a swithplier 2.0, along with a 6" adj wrench, picquic teeny turner, and a very nifty 12 in 1 stanley screwdriver. This little set gets a lot of use around the house, putting together all manner of things.

I have a medium sized tool kit, made out of various mated together molle pouches, on my dresser in the closet. A sog powerlock resides in there.

In the man cave I have a larger selection of nice hand tools, they do a lot of clean work. Plenty of large leathermans, etc to choose from.

Dirty work in the garage also has a few MT laying around. Sog powerlock features highly, as they have great pliers and the compound action.

My travelling tool bag has a SOG powerlock in it, that poor guy has done a ton of work, being the go to pliers for an entire house remodel.

I also have a few in my car glove box and trunk tool kit. Rebar and a wave with rebar head on it. And in my desk drawer at work there is a pocket power plier from SOG.

All of my rifle cases and range bags have super tool 300s in them.

I do not carry on my person, maybe a cadet sometimes. I usually have an olfa stainless retractable utility knife in my pocket.

A good pair of pliers, needle nose, are just about unreplaceable by any other tool. A really do not see the use of the tiny MT pliers, perhaps I do not do enough detail work... I found the rebar to be the smallest usable pliers for me. The juice series are just too small and dinky. I do like the skeletool, and would likely carry one of those if I was to be in a mobile environment for a longer period of time.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  2. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I got my first Gerber multitool back in the mid-90s. Tried carrying it, but found it too bulky/heavy for edc. In 2007, I bought my first Swiss Army knife, and found it to be more comfortable while maintaining a lot of utility for many of my everyday uses. To be honest two of the tools they get used the most are the toothpick, and the scissors, but I also find many other tools useful enough that the SAK has become my EDC knife since 2007. I would feel naked without nowadays, and I have no problem pocketing anything from a SwissChamp on down through the smaller models. The Swiss Army knife is lighter, less bulky, allow for easier/quicker access to tools, and has some additional tools for more domestic settings (like a pen, magnifying glass, stick pin, etc) that make it worth carrying on a daily basis for me.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Jan 28, 2018
    #62 dmattaponi, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Sharaz_Jek and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I agree with most posts here.
    For me, I just try to fix things, right now. I am and have been very mechanical minded so having something (MT)on my person is comforting.

Lateck,

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  4. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Can I just say.
    Leatherman micra is the best

5. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

You never know when you might need a tool.

Especially as I travel a lot a multitool is a great way to keep a selection of tools handy. I have used mine to tighten screws, remove splinters, open packages, and even wire a modem up to a phone in China (no RJ45 connector). Increased air security means a Gerber Dime Travel has to be enough on short trips, but I take a SAK or LM if I have check-in.

6. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Another thing I just thought about:

I like to have needle nose pliers stashed around in various places, as I find them a very useful tool that cannot really be replaced by any other tool. So instead of just having pliers like that in my tool stashes, I put a multitool in there instead. I get the benefit of a folding set of pliers (ever put a regular set of needle nose in your running short pocket, not coming out easily) and the other tools in the handles, which can be pressed into service if needed.

7. dmattaponi

I was thinking about the original question a bit more...

1) It's quite often that I need a toothpick.
    2) Also scissors
    3) A pen
    4) A blade to cut something
    5) A small pair of pliers/wire cutters
    6) I find a magnifying glass increasingly useful (as my eyes aren't what they used to be)
    7) Every now and then I find a file and/or saw handy for some unexpected task
    8) Even a pointy awl, wood chisel, stick pin, and eyeglass screwdriver are items I use regularly.

Since I very often need these things while out and about, and it would be near impossible to carry the full size items on my person, I have found my very portable Victorninox Swisschamp quite handy, while measuring a mere 3 1/2 long X slightly over 1in wide. For me the question is, why would I want to leave home without all of that utility in a natural world.

8. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a multi-tool when I was an electronics technician in the natural gas industry. The mechanics always hogged up the repair bays so we had to do most of our work out in the yard. I started carrying a SOG PowerLock and it saved me countless trips across the yard to my tool box inside. It's great for wire stripping, wire cutting, crimping terminals/splices, and. of course, needle nose pliers are always needed. The model I have has a 1/4" drive socket attachment too. Between that, a small bag of tools, and a pocket multimeter, I had all I needed to do 90% of the jobs that needed done. Been carrying it ever since.

ran23 likes this.
  9. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I have 3 with me most of the time. SAK classic , SAK cadet and a Charge ALX

The charge is always in the door pocket of my truck unless I am carrying it. The classic on my keys and the cadet in my pocket. If I am at home or out in the field for work the charge is on my pocket too. Too many times there is something little that I need it for. Most days though the Cadet would be more than enough.

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  10. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

For years, that was my only pocket knife, and I used it for one thing or another daily. I never even considered another multi-tool, case closed. Then one day I was out in the woods with some guy, and he was improvising fishing gear for his young son. I watched as he whipped out this folding pliers, made a few bends in some wire, folded it up and withdrew a knife to carve some notches in a stick, etc. I asked, and he replied "Leatherman PST," handing it over to me for a closer look. Real pliers in a pocket tool, plus all that other stuff! I was sold on the spot, had to have one. For some time, I was schizo between the S'champ and the PST, then took notice of the Super Tool, and that cinched it. It was a folding real tool, carried on my belt for the next 9 years. I still take the Swisschamp with me on long trips, but my daily load out is usually one or another Leatherman. However, a small SAK gets tucked into my 5th pocket for the elegant stuff; toothpick, pen, scissors, and public relations. I love them all.

#70 znapschatz, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  11. dmattaponi

12. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

There are so many maintenance tasks that would just have been left undone if I hadn't hade my Wave in the moment.
    My job doesn't require me to use tools, but I still end up using Wave 3-4 times each day.

That being said, the Wave is a huge, bulky chunk of metal to carry around. While I work in a corporate environment, we have a 'no dress pants unless you're presenting' policy, so we get to wear jeans every day. My Wave is the perfect size for the 5th/Watch pocket on my jeans, and my Wizard clips to my back right pocket, next to my wallet.

I'm an Environmental Manager for a large fueling company and work in an office full-time, but there is always something that needs to be cut, or bent back in to shape, or a sharp edge that needs to be filed down, or a screw that needs to be tightened, etc. People also ask to borrow it constantly, because there are no tools around.

On top of that, I own a home and have a two-year old. Something always needs to be tweaked, or batteries replaced, etc.

My point being, even though no part of my job requires me to carry around tools... man, it's nice to be able to have something that can fix 99% of the little problems I run into. Also, let's be real - it's a great replacement for a fidget toy. Mine is so broken in it's almost at a Balisong-ish level.

Between my Wave, and the flashlight I carry (ArmyTek Wizard Pro - probably even more useful than the Wave) I can say without bragging that I am more prepared to resolve life's little problems than 99% of people out there - the other 1% probably belong to this forum.

I do totally respect your decision not to carry a multitool - if it's a day where I have to dress more formally, it's just not feasible to carry it or my flashlight.

If you don't mind me asking, what items did you eventually arrive at for your EDC? It seems like you put a lot of thought into it, and maybe I can learn something from you.

Lateck and FORCEGC like this.
  13. Rfpd29

Rfpd29 Loaded Pockets

I work full time as an EMT in rural settings, a lot of the time spending most of the shift in the ambulance. I carry a wave daily as well as a SAK cadet and Microtech Ultratech, and Leatherman raptor. More often than not I find that the wave has pretty much anything I’d need to get me through. Up until recently I had to use the flat blade screwdriver ( not the interchangeable one ) every day to open a padlock on one of our restock cabinets. The scissors find frequent use for trimming unruly face/head hair. I like the potential use of the pliers/wire cutters for rescue situations, and the serrated blade comes in handy for seatbelts/webbing. Some people look down on carrying tools on your belt on the job, some people laugh. I usually end up getting the last laugh though when they ask to borrow it.

The_Wolf and Lateck like this.