1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why multitools?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by waldamir, May 10, 2017.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Ohh.. and then there is the LM Crunch, which in some cases even provided me a third arm. That's a very useful feature that almost stands on it own as a dedicated tool, but with the added benefit of being a multi-tool.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Constrained optimisation. The ability to achieve diverse tasks to an accepatble level of quality while limited by weight and convenience. That's the "official" answer. The real answer is that they are cool icons of engineering wizardry, the Skeletool for its monocoque beauty and style; also the Wave for its functional perfection.

As long it is capable of the basic functionality - given the diverse needs of everyday urban life - having ten competent tools is better than one dedicated one.I cannot remember the last time I was out in an urban environment and had a cutting task that could not be handled effectively by a multitool blade.
    Like other have mention laziness can save ...at least ten seconds..having to go to the garage to fetch the toolbox. It seems a bit odd to invoke the power of high quality dedicated tools (Knipex set of $300 ESD electronics pliers) to remove the battery compartment on a $5 toy or open clam shell packaging. I have a precious attitude that such tools should be preserved for "real engineering" tasks...whatever they are....

tbzbbt

SurivStud and kottskrapa like this.
  3. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

At work, I have a LM Wave on my belt and the toolbox in my car. When I am in the need of tools, I am allways happy when I don't have to go back to my car, because I can fix it with the Wave.

mash4077 likes this.
  4. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

I often reach for my Spirit over normal pliars, the shape of the jaws is just so optimum for most things. But there is one thing about multitool pliers I wish they would change and that is they don't lock - (maybe the Sogs do - anyone?) There are times I need to use the jaws in reverse, to force something open like a circlip or sprung mechanism. T'would be handy to have a locking option. Also for extra reach with the tools, I configure the Spirit in a half open state, the detents are strong enough that it works if I'm careful, but I can't apply any lateral force.

xrayit likes this.
  5. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I compromise by carrying a Victorinox Craftsman Swiss Army Knife. Much more pocketable than the average mutitool, but with much of the same utility. One or more implements get used daily, and it's definitely easier to carry the SAK than a small toolkit wherever I go.

6. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Why?...because it's something I can carry in my pocket or on a belt everyday no matter where I am, which regularly comes in handy for various tasks.

#46 dmattaponi, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. TheWizardSally

TheWizardSally Loaded Pockets

If you read some of my other posts i love multi tools ( Dont get me wrong i do EDC a knife also ,Guardian 3)

But to me a full sized multi tool is the only thing you really need to edc aside from a light. Growing up my grandfather had is Leatherman ps1 on his belt. He used it to cut cardboard, fix random :censored: in the house, and most importantly used it for daily maintence on my brothers and i custom swords and sheilds that he made us. But really, Think about it. A multi tool is a mini tool box. You dont have to carry a crecent wrench ( although, He did carry a key chain crecent wrench for holding bolts and he used his leatherman to screw on/off them) you dont need a screw driver..... bottle opener.... you get what im saying here. In my whole life i have seen Older guys edc multi tools because they are everything you need for everything... :censored: a knife.... You need pliers and :censored: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I knew that I had to buy one of these when they first came out, still carrying it despite having a Swisstool which I grab 99% of the time,.....however the Crunch is invaluable when you need a third hand/clamping force.

If like me, you watched the likes of James Bond and started to take an interest in taking things apart etc then cool gadgets/tools are the norm for you really and yes, over the years I have built up a collection of dedicated workshop tools, just can't have those close to hand 100% of the time.

9. TangoSixFive

TangoSixFive Loaded Pockets

Convenience. The important philosophy here is: Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've carried a SAK for as long as I remember. I had a cheapo knockoff Victorinox Classic back in elementary (yes!), then a knockoff Soldier in high school, and then an authentic Fireman in college. When I started working I got myself a Picnicker as a gift. Now I carry my LM Wave on my person at all times, and Gerber Dime on my pocket organizer.

I've lost count of how many bottles of soda (and beer) these tools have opened, pencils sharpened, slabs of steak sliced, corks extracted from wine bottles, screws loosened or tightened, and so on. I happen to have the tool that was needed for something at some point in time, and that made me the hero that saved the day.

Now that I got my Technician class license I started building antennas for ham radio, and I use those pliers a lot now.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I was working around the house this weekend, painting, repairing stuff and preparing for winter. Generally, a round here, winter just means that it's snowing instead of raining. Anyway, on Saturday I just used dedicated tools, and spent most of the day running around looking for the tool I did not have on me. It's insane to think of the number of times I had to go down from the ladder because I did not have the exact tool I needed.
    On Sunday decided to try the multi tool approach and carried my good old Wave, a dedicated PH2 driver (this covers 90% of screws used on my house and is really worth a dedicated tool) and a DeWalt branded Morakniv. What a difference. I always had the right tool on hand.
    It was a joy to work, and I could not think of a better combination of tools.
    I was really reminded how useful a multi tool can be, and that you can't always do better with dedicated tools.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and soundlessnut like this.
  11. caninesapien

caninesapien Loaded Pockets

Funds are tight at the moment so I'm carrying a Leatherman Sidekick and to be honest it's perfect for day to day stuff. My day job requires minor stuff like assembling/dismantling computer units, AV units etc, and I used it quite a bit for guitar maintenance.

soundlessnut likes this.
  12. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

^^^Everything!^^^ Everything with this is what I would say. Perfect reply. I carry a Wave, the extra bit kits for it, the bit extender, a hex shank 1/8 drill bit, a magnet, a sharpie, a pen, a 16 D nail, a paper clip, a bobby pin, and an eye glasses cloth (all loaded in my Wave pouch). I'll post pics sometime. The only thing I may need that I cannot carry is a hammer. Fortunately a rock is almost always handy. :)

To have that amount of capability on the fly is to handy to pass up.

13. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Bad planning or emergency use only. Otherwise regular tools. That and because they're shiny and I can't resist.

14. TangoSixFive

I'd love to see those photos because I also carry a Wave :)

15. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treya, TangoSixFive and FLbeachbum like this.
  16. TangoSixFive

that is a nice set up! thanks for sharing!

17. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

Me, I've come across way too many times in everyday existence (much less all my employment/community involvement scenarios) where an MT has been helpful/needed to handle an issue. Perhaps it's watching too much MacGyver as a young'un or the fact that my dad always had a SAK on his person growing up (he gave me my Cub Scout knife and my first SAK) or that both my granddads, uncles etc carried folding stockman-type knives .... but I've followed suit with "the 21st Century version." Thus, I carry a LM Wave Mk 1 and a flashlight on me as minimal EDC on a discreet belt sheath . When at work I also carry trauma shears and a pen, all in a holster from Raine Inc. Echoing other comments, an MT (as of yet) won't perform any included tool's job as well as a dedicated tool ..... but like most of us, I don't carry a tool bag for my living (OK, maybe I do, but not the kind we're all thinking of). But they come in so stinkin' handy ....

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

A thought on the thinking, and then an answer from my perspective.

On the "so many people" part of the question, we tend to look around at our circle and generalize. That "circle" for some people also tends to include forums like this. In my circle, and not counting forums, just people I know and see every day, I'm aware of several guys who always have a pocket knife on them. Others I don't know if they do or don't. But don't see multitools except the rare occaision. And the women, probably no knife, much less a multitool, I'm betting. This is an office environment with engineers and logisticians and techs. Different people, different place and it would probably be different.

For my part, I have a Leatherman on my dresser I never carry. On days when I'm home and not traveling I carry a small traditional folder in my pocket, sometimes a large stockman or another traditional folder on my belt as well. This is every day, whether weekdays in the office or on weekends. When I travel somewhere by car I take a couple of SAK's just to have the tools if needed, and leave the folders at home. Of course when I travel by air all the blades stay at home.

In short, in my opinion, different strokes. I don't think a lot of people carry multitools as regular carry. I think that is the picture I see in my world which is my world. I do think people carrying a multitool as regular carry for the most part are doing it because they know they will need it, or they know they may need it and want to be prepared.

My two cents.

19. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I agree with you there. I learned to carry a multitool as a kid working around the farm. It's no fun having to walk a half-mile because you need a pair of pliers to tighten a bolt. I keep several multitools and they usually ride in the glove box, a desk drawer or in my bag. Sometimes it's easier just to grab one rather than go down two flights of stairs looking for a screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#59 adnj, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    aicolainen likes this.
  20. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

It’s like a half measure, it’s good enough to do what it’s meant to but is lighter than the full set of tools