1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why multitools?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by waldamir, May 10, 2017.

1. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I guess it depends on the reasoning you have for carrying the other knives, and would the blades on a multitool cover the same tasks?

sungame likes this.
  2. waldamir

waldamir Loaded Pockets

Generally, yes. However, I've had my Para 2 in my pocket for 6 years. Anything else doesn't feel right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

3. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

Well, you are kind of right. I mostly don't need a multi tool. But I would never carry regular pliers in my pocket on my way to my parents, for example. Would you ? So, if you like the idea of beeing prepared, a multi tool is good for not looking too strange.
    I have a Wave in use at work and a second one at home. But it's not in my pocket all the time. There I have a Style PS right now and it fits all my needs in most situations.
    I thought about a LM Crunch on top, but that had a very negative ratio of cost/use. For the money of a crunch, you get everything, this tool is able to do, in better quality . For me, this calculation only works on a Crunch, because it is a very specific multi tool.

4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a MacGyver (both old and new) and Mythbusters fan. I like to improvise with what I have on my person. I also like cool tools, being a mechanically inclined person, and like to have some tools with me in a more compact package than the dedicated versions. Thus, a multi-tool of some sort is usually with me.

Oh, and I have had to use my Leatherman as a hammer in the past when I had no other option. Never needed a wire stripper though. I prefer using a pocket knife to strip insulation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

I work on pool equipment and many times I'll be shoehorned in between a heater and the house troubleshooting the damned thing needing a pair of pliers- but wheres my toolbag? 6 feet away out of reach, wheres my leatherman? on my belt.

6. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I work for a rental company, one minute I'm out putting up tents, the next on the way to repair something a customer busted. It's amazing what you can do with a little know-how and a multi-tool.

Moshe ben David, garza and Tallboyjim like this.
  7. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Because some of us don't do dumb & helpless.

8. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I've found that the impulse to carry a muti-tool (or EDC at all) was born out of necessity, and now has simply become a part of who I am, what I expect of myself, and often who I'm expected to be by others. As much as I don't care about what others think of my choices, I've become comfortable with the concept of being "the guy who can help." Granted, my motives for being prepared have nothing to do with anyone else directly, but I'll gladly help someone out if their need is genuine. Aside from that, the thought of being unprepared not only annoys me but aggravates my anxiety issues. I find it difficult to rely on others, as I'm often let down by their apathy, ignorance, or obtuseness. Consequently, I try to be self-sufficient in regards to all the small things that I can control, and rely on that foresight to lessen the burden of all things I cannot. A multi-tool, among other things, empowers me in that way; it represents options in an otherwise unpredictable environment.

9. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Pretty much just like everyone else, I just find it convenient. I don't need tools for my job regularly, other than a pocket knife, so I carry a knife on me and throw the Leatherman in my backpack. When something comes up that I do need some tool I have it. And because I like shinny things.

10. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I keep an LM Style PS since a few years as EDC because of the versatility and tinyness of it. There's a Wave in my work kit that i tried to EDC because "hey, it's got everything" and stopped because it was a total brick and it's hard o open it onehanded. I take both with as a precaution for outdoorsing or long travel but the Wave rarely gets any use even then.

Style is childsplay to open onehanded and it's durable, the pliers a way stronger than expected and perform well for cutting wire, zipties, cable, pulling out the pin in the hinge on that annoying cabinet door.
    I lost the forceps at some point but i didnt even notice until yesterday. It's a well designed and made tool and i'd get a new one in a heartbeat if i lost it.

I EDC a folder too but for legal reasons it cant follow me everywhere. Got a Vic ratchet-kit with a decent collection of bits in my bag but the Style sees the most use after the knife and they complement eachother well.

BrassNsteel likes this.
  11. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Loaded Pockets

Let's see. What have I used my Leatherman Surge for:
    • Large flat-head. Used it as a mini-prybar actually, to get the cover off a faulty pump.
    • Plain-edge blade. That was when I didn't carry a dedicated knife. Good blade though, I trust it as a back-up. Lost count how many times I've used it though.
    • Pliers. For quite a number of things. Changing bulbs that were screwed on too tight, and even removing a splinter.
    • File. For filing off the sharp edges off a piece of acrylic.
    • Bit-driver with torx bits for adjusting pivot tension on my knives.
    • Bit-driver with Phillips bit, used it for Phillips screws.
    • Bit-driver with Allen bit, for removing that steering wheel accessory that the previous driver fitted to the steering wheel of the company van. Not sure what it's called, but it's that rotating knob that lets you spin the wheel like crazy. Makes sense in a big truck but not in a van in my opinion.
    • Scissors. Sometimes, even a multi-tool blade may be too alarming for the easily-spooked Singaporean public.
    • Awl. For punching holes in boxes, plastic containers or plastic flower pots when building makeshift nests for nestlings.
    So depending on what you do day-to-day, a multi-tool is either totally unnecessary or totally essential. For me, it's the latter. I can't imagine going to work without it. And because I carry my multi-tool in a small slingbag, I prefer a flagship battlecruiser no matter how big and heavy it is.

12. Jsteel

Jsteel Empty Pockets

Speaking for myself, I have always enjoyed tools and gadgets. Honestly, If I lost every multi tool and pocket knife I own the practical effect on my life would be minimal. I work in an office (bussiness casual) so a big belt sheath is going to be frowned upon. I do carry a Leatherman Juice CS4 on a dangler. it may get used a few times a year on a jammed printer or to tighten a loose screw. I am a weekend DIYer, mostly home repair and improvement. Having the basic multitool on my person does save trips to the workshop for a screwdriver or pliers. I really just enjoy playing with the folding thingy of uh majigs.

crwoody and karlito like this.
  13. benlg

benlg Loaded Pockets

Simple, convenience. I use the pliers, file and scissors the most. Even better is the hidden pin in some SAKs. So easy to have everything in one place with a minimal footprint. I never touch the knife since I always have one but good to know theres a backup. Still cant beat a proper pair of pliers but the Victorinox and Leatherman's come real close.

Kev2488 likes this.
  14. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

My first two or three plier-centric multies I bought from a one legged Arab in the bazaar. They were forged by master craftsmen in far Cathay - so he said. They didn't last too long, but I used the bejeezus out of them, in construction. Then a client from Switzerland, pleased with my work, took off the Swisstool on his belt, and placed it on mine. After that it was swisstool all the way, for a few years. Then I bought another swisstool, and was sorely disappointed - the newer model's pliers didn't open as far, and with the jaws closed, the handles were too far apart for comfort. Just horrible. So I took a diamond dremmel to it, and modified it beyond repair. When I saw the Spirit in the shop window, I couldn't resist. It tuned out to be the ultimate - I will never move on, Im sure of it. The tools are staggered to expose the nail nicks - so easy on the auld keratin, compared to the full size swisstool, which I would have to find a screw or something to prize the tools out. Just so good, in all ways, except the scissors. When the second swisstool and the spirit were still new, I used to take great pleasure in annoying my girlfriend by fondling them on the sofa and referring to them as "Heidi and Bertha"

Sonorum and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. isoarska

isoarska Loaded Pockets

I quite often carry Gerber Dime or such mini multitool with my keys, hanging from a dangler on my belt.

Small screwdrivers come in handy often. Blade is useful opening boxes and packages etc. Scissors are bit too miniature, I would actually prefer pliers.

16. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

The body part most useful to homosapiens is the forefinger+opposable thumb. A pliers essentially boosts our gripping power by an order of magnitude, allowing massive force to be applied with great precision. Basically a god-like superpower.... If the ancients had had access to pliers, we might have been colonising Mars centuries ago....

17. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I don't need tools often (i'm a student) but when I do, I don't want to have to cross the room, unearth my toolbox and dig around for what I need. And when I'm not at home, I'm surrounded by students and no one has tools on them. My Juice CS4 fits in the coin pocket and I rarely notice it.
    Mostly I carry a SAK just because I like having one and because it was always drummed into me as a kid to be prepared. My dad is the kind of guy who goes camping with a spare tent. Also, UK knife laws limit what you can carry and a SAK is one of the few decent knives that are legal here.

leigh_ratcliffe likes this.
  18. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

The use of a multitool is entirely dependent on the person carrying it, meaning, if you carry a multitool but have no uses for the tools that are on it, you won't use it! That may seem rather obvious, but it's important to keep in mind. For example, why spend $80-$100 on a HUGE SAK or Leatherman if really all you need is the pliers/scissors/etc? Case and point: I think pretty much anybody can use a multitool, and frankly I think everyone should, but just because Bobby McPrepper needs his 7800-tool super knife w/ added kitchen sink doesn't mean you need a huge one too. I own a huge multitool, but I keep it at home because I really don't use it when i'm out and about. I find the tiny Leatherman Style PS to be perfect, alongside my knife, of course. However, that's just my long-winded opinion. :p

Tallboyjim likes this.
  19. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I think the mileage will vary a lot from person to person.
    When I was a field engineer some years back, I was working big sites and some areas within a site could be difficult to access. To save weight and bulk I tried to estimate which tools I would need and just tuck them in my pants or a small bag. The leatherman always went along to fill in for the dedicated tools I didn't know I would need.
    Nowadays I don't need it as often, but I have one in my EDC backpack. Since I don't have a clue what or when I will need a tool in my daily life, there is no reason to carry dedicated tools, so I have a LM with bit kit, bit adapter as well as a universal cabinet key. I rarely need any of it, but the few times I have, it has saved me a lot of time and hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crwoody likes this.
  20. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I usually carry a SAK or original LM wave for all those "I fix it later" but never does, with a good MT fitted for my needs I can take care of those things right away. That and the fact that I have been carrying one for so long that I feel kind of naked without one and it makes my life much more pleasant.

But if I do know what I need for a specific job I will take the right tool out of my toolbox, MT is a substitute when no "real" tools are available

aicolainen and Moshe ben David like this.