1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why multitools?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by waldamir, May 10, 2017.

1. waldamir

waldamir Loaded Pockets

I'm just wondering why do so many people carry MultiTools? I've carried Victorinox, Leatherman, Gerber and some no name styles and each one has either been sold, or put up on a shelf and is collecting dust.

I've always found the most useful tool on them were pliers but no one seems to make a pair of pliers that fold or offer the same versatility as the ones on my Wave. While the pliers were useful, they weren't needed throughout my day. So the added utility of the pliers was offset by what seemed to be mediocre tools and the excess weight of so many additional parts.

With that being said, I'd like to know why so many people carry MultiTools? Why not just carry a small pouch with individual and specialized tools that all work well for the task rather than carry one tool that does a bunch of tasks but not very well.

Of course, "Because cool gear is cool gear" is a perfectly respectable answer. I'm not trying to disrespect, or insult anyone who carries them. Nothing against the brands either. I'm genuinely curious about everyone's reason.

2. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Because it isn't always practical to carry around a tool bag everywhere you go.

I keep a small toolbox of dedicated tools in the trunk of my car, but it isn't always convenient to have to run to my car every time I need a screw driver or a pair of pliers. In most situations I run into, I can generally fix what needs fixed with the selection of tools I carry on me. This makes me feel like the hero. I feel completely lost and helpless without my EDC gear.

Sure, I don't carry a hammer, or a soldering iron on me, but between my Skeletool, Surge, style cs, Vic. Huntsman and kershaw folders that I carry every day, I'm fairly well equipped to handle most tasks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kev2488, pathwinder14 and mash4077 like this.
  3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a number of tools with me in an old laptop bag that I just used for tools and cables. One of those tools was needle-nose pliers. I received a Leatherman original PST as a gift, and it had nice quality needle nose pliers, so it replaced the standalone needle-nose pliers.

That was many years ago. My job rarely requires tools these days, but it still does sometimes. When it does, it usually needs relatively small tools. The ones on the LM Juice and LM Squirt are about ideal for those times, so I leave those two in my laptop bag (regular one, along with a computer). I may go months without needing either, but when I do, it's nice having them around. I'd rather not carry around all of the bigger tools I used to carry considering how infrequently I need them. But the two small LM tools I keep in my bag are hardly noticeable.

Kev2488 likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

True, MT are cool. But honestly, I -- and I'll bet many others -- carry some sort of MT because they offer a form of convenience 'in the moment' that makes this class of gear worth carrying. Keeping in mind also the significant array of choice in MT in terms of size, weight, and features, it is fairly easy to find something that simply 'works' as an edc.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Kev2488, sungame and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  5. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I would rather have it and never need it then need it and not have it. I use my Leatherman Juice CS4 a few times a month but it does not bother me to carry it so I do. As soon as it bothers me I will stop carrying it, that is usually the deciding factor for me, is it a nuisance and it is in the realm of possibility that it could get used I will try to carry it.

Kev2488 likes this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

While off from work (construction, so MANY tools available) I just carry a farmer and a classic in the multi tool range at the moment

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Kev2488 likes this.
  7. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

When one knows they are going to be doing a job, then dedicated tool will usually reign over a multi tool.
    Where the SAK and multi tool shine is when the unexpected occur.
    I also find the convenience factor to be reason --- if it's on me I don't have to go look for a screwdriver, pliers etc.
    I always found the multi tool to be a good thing in the asphalt jungle as it takes up less space than a tool box, and usually works for the mundane tasks of tightening this or holding that.
    Convenience, portability, ease of use seem to make a multi tool come into it's own when the dedicated tools are further away than you wish to walk.

Kev2488, sungame, znapschatz and 3 others like this.
  8. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Don't feel bad. I've always wondered the same. I'd venture to guess the majority of carriers don't require a MT on their person on a day to day basis. Rather, it's for the just in case or cool factor.

It's all relative, as many people don't understand why anyone would carry a blade with them.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

9. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have a level 1 and level 2 system to my multitools.

Level 1 is a Leatherman Style PS and a True Utility minidriver on my keychain. This combination has a lot of utility for the everyday unexpected tasks. They get the most use for assembling toys at little kids birthday parties.
    Level 2 is a Leatherman Core which is in a sheath attached to my bag. It is a heavy duty chunky tool that Leatherman no longer makes. It will take care of pretty much anything that I need to do.

Level 1 is always on me when I am away from the house. Level 2 is always close at hand since my bag is always handy where ever I am I can always access it readily. This keeps me from having to pocket carry a full size MT.

This combo works great for me. I have tried other systems but keep coming back to this.

10. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Convenience... I carry and ES4 on a dangler in my left front pocket... don't use it every day, but when I need it, it's nice to have.

I was working on a piece of equipment last week, a co-worker went off to the tool box in the corner for a phillips screw driver while I used my ES4, then later went to find wire strippers while I used the ES4 again, he came back and said: "You're really prepared!" I smiled and said "I've been an electronics tech for a loonngg time." :D

garza, Moshe ben David and rkazooti like this.
  11. an0nemus

an0nemus Loaded Pockets

For legal reason.

Its illegal to carry a knife or any bladed weapon here in the Philippines unless its part of one's job.

So I carry a Leatherman Charge instead as MTs are generally exempt.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For me it is convenience.

A multitool allows me to carry the most tools in the smallest and most easily carried package, so while the individual tools will all be compromised in some way compared to a dedicated equivalent, they come in a format that makes it much easier to have them with you and ready.

If I am planning on doing work around the house, I will reach for the toolbox with the nice set of screwdrivers, the utility knife with a replaceable blade, a bigger and more ergonomic set of pliers and so on, but that is large, heavy and ultimately overkill when I want a tool to stick in my bag when I go camping - with the expectation I may not have to use it, but also with the knowledge that those basic tools could be exactly what I want if I need to repair a gas stove or some other small task when in the middle of nowhere.

Carrying the dedicated tools will make sense for those that are regularly used, but ultimately add up to more bulk, weight and complexity - finding a suitable way to carry everything, making sure all the pieces are there and so on.

I will have to admit that I find even something as compact as a Leatherman Charge overkill for carry in most of my everyday life, so I am obviously coming from an angle where I am not a heavy user of the various tools within, and with the amount of use they do get, don't find the issues of a multitool to be as much of an hindrance as they would be if used with regularity.

Lateck, sungame, an0nemus and 3 others like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Narcosynthesis: we could almost have written the same post, except in my case I'd be referring to a SuperTool 300 for a 'heavier' MT!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Kev2488, sungame and garza like this.
  14. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

I bought my 1st Leatherman in '85 to replace a backpack full of tools required for engineering classes. Been carrying one ever since. Multitools are too useful to go without.

Kev2488 and WillAdams like this.
  15. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Well, I raise cattle...and with cattle you never know what you're going to need or when, but whatever it is you'll need it RIGHT NOW! I've gotten so used to carrying my LM that I practically freak out if I don't have it. I probably use it 100x per day for one thing or another. In fact, I even posted a story here recently about saving one of my cow's life with a LM tool.

The other thing is mobility; I might need to leap over a fence or take some evasive action and a bunch of tools or a tool bag is only going to slow me down...further (I'm slow enough as it is).

My frustration is almost exactly the opposite of the OP's; I love, love, love knives and have all manner of them. However now, I almost find it repetitive to carry a knife because I've already got my LM (which has two knives on it). This frustrates me because when I take one of my favorite knives I feel like I want to leave the LM behind...and I don't like to do that.

sungame, an0nemus and WillAdams like this.
  16. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I'm not "planning" on using my multitool, but since I carry it it's there when I need it. If I know I'm going to need tools for heavier work I will bring the proper ones.

I would much rather have access to a full toolbox than my multitool when I need to use it. But I also like my pants staying up, so I carry a Leatherman or something similar instead of a 10 kg toolbox.

It is also for the exact same reason that I prefer the Leatherman tools with bit drivers over the ones with fixed bits. Yes, it is a weaker construction, heavier and a bit more complicated to carry but it offers a higher degree of flexibility that I value.

Last edited by Swe_Nurse, May 11, 2017
    #16 Swe_Nurse, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Exactly! Well said.

sungame and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  18. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Funnily enough the quest for a multitool brought me here. When on site a tool belt isn't practical. A tool box wasn't practical so I was either walking to and from the van for a screwdriver or pliers. Hence a multitool to save time in a time sensitive environment. A lot of people in my line of carry one over tools. A fair few don't carry anything at all and just borrow mine!

WillAdams likes this.
  19. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322 Loaded Pockets

I carry a LM Super tool 300, I work in the Tire Industry and so when I have to cut banned tires, the wire cutters are right there when I need them.I have had to use the saw on mine to cut through a tire to take the DOT #'s off. I do which they would make accessories for the 300 like the ones for the charge. I've carried one since I was in the Army back in 93, either the Gerber issued MT which I could not stand, So I went and bought a LM super tool and still use that same one to this day, I do own the updated 300 like I said above and it's carried on my pack everywhere I go. Never leave home with out it. To be honest I would rather carry a MT than a pouch full of different tools in it that adds more weight, and the LM does the same as all the other tools with less weight.

Moshe ben David and an0nemus like this.
  20. waldamir

waldamir Loaded Pockets

This is one of my biggest issues. I find it overkill to have so many knives on me. (Para 2 in my pocket, opinel no. 8 in my bag, then 2 on a mulitool.)

I can understand the need for quick access to any number of tools when dealing with cattle.

Maybe I just haven't found the right multiool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk