1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why is Victorinox so obsessed with can openers?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SpacemanSpiff23, Oct 9, 2009.

1. SpacemanSpiff23

SpacemanSpiff23 Loaded Pockets

I was looking through their knives the other day, and about 99% of their knves that are large enough to have a can opener, has one. Are they really that useful these days? People don't take canned food on camping trips anymore, and if they do, they usually have pop off lids that don't require a can opener. At home, everyone already has a can opener, so it's pretty useless there too. I think it's time for Vic to come up with a replacement for the can opener as a standard knife attachment.

2. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

I have to agree. There are times when a can opener is very valuable, but for the rest of the time it seems like that space could be used for something else.

3. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

At home, I usually cant get my ruddy can opener to open cans, its one of those ones where you kinda hold the two handles together like pliers & then turn the key thing, usually it just turns round & chews up the can abit but doesnt open it.

So, I stop, swear at the can & can opener, have a bit of a cry, throw the can opener back in the drawer & usually end up opening the can with my SAK can opener.

I dont eat much out of cans, only stuff like meatballs, spaghetti hoops etc

4. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I use my SAK can openers a couple of times a week to take the tops out of thinners cans so I can stand or soak my varnish brushes in them.
    On the other hand I am not too keen on the corkscrews that most SAKs seem to have, they are too short to do a good job and sometimes rip the cork to pieces and I HATE bits of cork in my wine. I would prefer a philips driver to the corkscrew any day.

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

and the corkscrew

this
    also, just stick with a dedicated "rabbit ear" style opener

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I thought the can opener was like the third more used tool on a SAK. At least I thought I had read that somewhere.

I have used a can opener when I didn't have a P-38 on hand countless times though not on a SAK. I have used one on other items most of my life.

7. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

One quick sentence that will go ahead and sum up any future questions like this.

Just because you dont use it doesnt mean others do not as well.

I use the can opener AND the corkscrew at home fairly often.

8. maddawg918

maddawg918 Loaded Pockets

Chalk up another who uses the can opener fairly often. But I rarely use the cork screw.

9. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I hardly ever use it, but the can opener is "the" SAK tool. It is an iconic design.

I wish that they had more designs with the combination canopener/bottle opener that the Bantam has. It works better than the regular bottle opener, and it still works as a can opener. I love that tool.

10. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

While I haven't used it, that makes sense. You get it if you need it, but it only takes up the space of one tool instead of two.

11. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

I almost never eat cans but I often use the flat head screwdriver on it, and I sometimes use the can opener for cleaning my nails.

12. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

I have to admit Roger999, I'm glad to read you almost never eat cans... Kinda' worried about the rest of the time, though. :lolhammer:

Seriously, I've had occasions where either the can opener and/or the corkscrew were invaluable. So frankly, I'm delighted with my SAK's.

13. Foskey

Foskey Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I personally want it there just in case. A can opener is useless - until you really need it. Then it really comes in handy.

14. minusworld

minusworld Empty Pockets

I don't mind when they have a can opener but don't like when they put that corkscrew on 'em.

15. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

For my work day, I prefer a model with Philips head screwdriver to corkscrew.
    For wine opening, a proper wing-type opener is far less painful to use.

I'm OK with bottle and can opener though.

16. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

I had a corkscrew come apart once and tore the insides of my fingers to crap. I never get them with it any more.....the problem I have is that I like the can opener better on a Vic SAK, I use it to pry and lever things all the time, but I like the scissors on a Wenger SAK better.....I wish they were like LEGOs.....

17. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I don't care for dedicated openers, but the Vic can and bottle openers are both combination tools.

You could instead view them as fantastic phillips and slotted drivers, which also happen to function as openers. I use the opener functions once in a while, but I constantly rely on the drivers.

That's an incredible amount of functionality crammed into a single layer that is available on even basic models. Not to mention the wire stripper. ;)

The corkscrew on the other hand... :rant:

Dok J and sungame like this.
  18. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

An interesting thread, people seem about even on liking or not liking can openers and corkscrews.
    Ultimately, I prefer to have SAKs with can openers and/or corkscrews than no SAK at all. They are the best value for money pocket multi tool by miles.

19. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Where I live, most people don't EDC a SAK, those who have one take it to go camping or other similar activities. Then it's one of the most important tools they need, if they didn't buy their food in easy-opening cans.

20. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I have used the can opener on my SAKs many times. I would definitely prefer to have it on there. If you ever have a situation where you are very hungry and have some canned foods, but no way to open them...you'll be crying for that SAK can opener. Trying to open a metal can with your teeth would be extremely painful, I'd imagine.

As for the corkscrew...I've used mine occasionally and found it to be adequate. If you want more versatility out of it, get the tiny screwdriver that threads into the corkscrew.

Tim