1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why Expensive Sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by peacefuljeffrey, Jan 1, 2008.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

It sucks to need prescription glasses. So many cool, high quality sunglasses out there, but every time I have bought them, the prescription lenses don't look anything like the standard ones. I had a couple pair of Ray Bans, and so when I needed a prescription, I had lenses made for one of them. They turned out some awful purple color, versus the nice dark smoke of the originals. So the last pair I got was the cheapest plastic frames they had (Harley-Davidson brand with hot-rod flames on the temples) fitted with the darkest lenses they would make for my prescription. They work ok.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Oakley will make you prescription sunglasses. However, they will cost ya!

3. CaptCarrot

CaptCarrot Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair of Bollé Kickback's - Modulator Grey Lenses. They set me back £80GB (I didn't buy them from that link, I bought them from a high street opticians in Jersey (Channel Islands)).

I have had cheapies before, but none have ever fitted me this well, AND the polarisation/lenses do not give me a headache. In fact these are so comfortable I have on occasion forgotten I am wearing them.

The big beauty with these sunglasses is that Bollé is one of only two manufacturers that I have found that provide NON-PRESCRIPTION sungalsses that are both Polarised AND Photochromic. I can't remember who the other manufaturer was though.

4. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

I wear Maui Jim kapaluas that are very similar to the silhouette models. I wouldn't go back. I now have four pair and my wife has two pair. I originally bought them for my wife but was leary of frame less models. They have held up for almost five years with no wobble or play between the frames and the lenses. First rate parts and build quality.

5. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I used to be into Ray-Bans.  I still have several pairs I bought when I was in my 20's but I never wear them anymore.  I have been buying MSA safety sunglasses at Home Depot for the last 10 years or so.  They look kinda like my Ray-Ban Baloramas but are much lighter and as a result never fall off my face. {The Ray Bans have glass lenses so are much heavier}  The MSA's block UV light, meet OSHA & ANSI high impact requirements, look cool (in my opinion) the lenses and frame are all 1 piece so they are very strong,  and are under $10!!!  I have like 6 pairs.  I keep extras in my truck, my wife's van, at work, etc.  If it breaks; who cares...I already have multiple back-ups.  I would never by premium sunglasses again. (more $ for knives, guns, ammo, etc.) I think it's a huge rip-off and people are kidding themselves about how much better the pricey glasses really are.  Plus, the piece of mind to not have to worry about them is worth a lot to me.  When I wore the Ray-Bans I was always worrying about them after the sun went down.  When the Ray-Bans got scratched I used to be so peeved!  Now I don't give a crap, I just reach for a new pair.

Note:
    I actuallly didn't write"peeved"; I guess the magical censorship fairies did that to save you from my PG-13 Language.

6. Trashman

Trashman Empty Pockets

There are cheap shades that still have good lenses. Some are absolutely awful, but I once bought a pair of sunglasses from Wal-Mart--their brand, whatever it was called--for $35, and the lenses were really good. Right now, I'm wearing a $20 pair of those "free" sunglasses you see advertised in all the magazines. They were first called, Sonic Eyewear, then Vanquish, and now Alterna Eyewear. The lenses on them are pretty darned good! I've also got a pair of Oakley Dartboards, that have nice lenses, but I don't notice a huge difference in optical quality versus my $20 lenses. I bought my wife a pair of Maui Jim Sandbars, and the optical quality is good, but not $200+ better than my $20 lenses! I do like the Maui Jim Breakwaters, though, and wouldn't mind having a pair of those. Optically, though, the pair of sunglasses that I once owned (they were stolen and I saw the guy stealing them, I just didn't know what he was doing at the time) that stand in my mind as having the best lenses, were my Bolle' Malconts.

I like expensive sunglasses, but I also know that I might mess them up and don't like to use them for everyday use. The $20 ones I'm using look great (have been told so! They actually look very much like the Oakley M-Frames, but a little better (on me)) and they have very nice lenses with good optical quality, so I'm happy to use them. My Oakley Dartboards are nearly 3 (or 4?) years old, and they're still 100% perfect! I baby them and don't use them as often. I've had several pairs that I either smashed or forgot that they were on my head and scratched them, so I'm not too keen on using expensive lenses while at work or play (rough).

7. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Well, I wear RX glasses, and therefore RX sunglasses. When I get new glasses, I use the same frames. I LOVE my Rayban sunglasses, it is what I like, and that is what I buy. I HAVE had Oakley's, but wouldn't do THAT again. And Transitions just do NOT get dark enough for me!

But, when I have worn contact lenses, I buy cheapie sunglasses; $20 jobbies.

8. red dawn

red dawn Empty Pockets

I have heard that cheap sunglasses run the risk of causing damage due to the fact that they are dark and cause your eyes to dilate (bypassing the natural constriction to light protection) but do not necessarily have the needed uva/uvb protection needed during dilation.

9. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

Most cheapish sun glasses give me a horrible headache after minutes of wear.

I own two pair. One old set (maybe $40 ish) from Sunglass Hut (wife absconded with them a few years ago) and a pair of near wraparound ray bans. Bought them to wear for wind protection over contacts while biking and to fit under my motorcycle helmet. Price was right on sale new at about $100.

10. trull

trull Empty Pockets

There are some things that I believe you should spend a little more for. Boots and sunglasses are definitely on that list. I tend to feel better about my protection if I pay a little more. I'm not saying to drop $300 on a pair but I do think you should consider a midrange pair. I have also had trouble with Wal-Mart glasses giving me a sort of "woozing" feeling, like the glass wasn't really shaped the way it needed to be. Also, if any of you fish I grantee that you'll see more fish in the water with a higher priced pair like Costas. I bet there's a lot of members that spend more money on a knife than on a pair of sunglasses. Why? Most cheaper knives are going to perform at a level that most of us need them to, but if they don't they aren't harming our health. IMHO cheap sunglasses do.

11. inthedark

inthedark Empty Pockets

I used to have Oakleys, but after going through a few pairs I just realized I was wasting my money, so I've been using the safety sunglasses from Home Depot, or the Polarized fishing glasses from Walmart. It's also nice to have the impact resistance rating.

I have sensitive eyes, so I definitely researched and wanted the best protection I could get. From the consumer tests that I've seen, there is no difference in UV protection between designer sunglasses and cheap sunglasses, as long as they're both rated for UV protection. Making UV blocking plastic isn't rocket science, if you look at welding glasses, their sole function is to provide UV protection, and they sell for as little as $13 (for 99% UVA and UVB protection). Anything more on top of that is mostly just style and marketing. You would think if there was such a difference in protection, that the sunglass companies would find a way to exploit it in their marketing. I think the bigger factor would be how well they conform to your face.

In every product, there's always that breaking point where spending more money doesn't really give you any tangible benefits in return. I don't know exactly where that point is with sunglasses, but I'm guessing it's way below $100.

I can still think of a few reasons to get a nice pair of sunglasses

1) Style
    2) Comfort
    3) Brand Name
    4) Less Distortion?

But IMO better UV protection isn't one of them.

12. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Campmor.com often has great deals on high quality sunglasses... I always get mine from there.

13. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Backcountry.com has some deals to be found, as well.

14. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

Good deals can be had. I got a new pair of Wilex X XL-1s with the GSN # on the box for $35 shipped on eBay (and that is shipped internationally). Spent another $30 (my optician is my friend) and got prescription lenses put in. :) He did a great job and they look great. They also have foam gaskets to protect your eyes from dust.

15. Britales

Britales Loaded Pockets

16. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

I own a pair of Oakley Fives Ducati and LOVE them they're my 3rd pair of Oakley nothing clearer or fits my watermelon head better :lolhammer: and after these bite the dirt then im goin to buy ANOTHER pair :woohoo: