1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why everyone should have a 50 cent P-38

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by dd61999, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Good stuff with the paperclip mod! :roof:

2. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

those FREDs are great; i've got a few scattered throughout my kits. now i'll have to dig em all out and cut sporks into em. thanks a lot. :p
    I find them a bit too big for keychain carry though, so i went with the next best thing: a customized P-51.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/erikbrock/Camping/P-51customized.jpg[/img]

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I just bought the Snowpeak Stubby Titanium Spork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Okay, don't flame me :mob: but I have to be the devil's advocate.

I don't carry a P-38 for the following reasons:

1. It's an item from a bygone era, required when military GIs in WW II needed something to open C RAT cans.

2. In today's urban environment, there is easy availability of both electric and the larger metal can openers. In an EOTWAWKI type scenario, any concrete type surface can be used to open cans. (Lundin-When all Hell Breaks Loose...) If you're walking through the woods, and come across a stash of canned goods :-X, they can be opened with any standard leatherman type tool.

3. On a more practical note, when I did carry one, every time I reached into my pocket, it would bite me. I guess I could have taped it up. I also used to carry the larger version pictured below, which can also double as a spoon, but the metal was so weak, it can't be used for any other practical reason-ie screwdriver, etc...

My recommendation is to carry the BCB Wallet Tool instead.

5. deusexaethera

I would love to get a demo of Point #2. Using a sidewalk as a can opener? That's a new one on me.

6. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Go to YouTube and search for Cody Lundin. He has only a handful of videos on there and on one he talks to a reporter about urban survival and demonstrates the technique. He also has another video where he demonstrates how to catch, prepare, and eat rodents. :green:

7. deusexaethera

I'll take a look.

In other news, I finally had an excuse to use the P-38 that UniqueTitanium gave me for free -- and it worked! Not that I doubted it, but I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to use it right. Not to worry though, it opened the hell out of that can of beans I used to make chili for lunch. ;D

8. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

1. my fedora is an item from a bygone era, but i still wear it every day

2. i don't trust any electricaly powered version of a simple hand tool because they're ELKECTRIC. if the power goes out you're screwed. as for larger mechanical versions yeah, if i'm at home i'll reach for the two-armed gear-operated can opener before the p38, p51, FRED, etc, but the little John Wayne is keychain friendly, has so much potential for uses other than opening cans, and it's :censored:-friendly, too.

3. i carry the p51 as well, and i keep the blade closed by the method shown above except I use a broken safety pin instead of a paper clip. Sounds like your FRED ws a cheap knockoff brand or flawed; i've not had a problem of mine breaking.

i've been bitten those wallet tools far more often than by my p51.

9. deusexaethera

I can cancel points 1 and 2 with a single scenario: I work in a multi-floor office building and I bring a can of soup to work, not realizing it isn't one of those cans with the pop-top. What am I going to do: walk down to the lobby and grind my soup can against the pavement outside? I hope nobody sees me doing that. Suppose the office kitchen doesn't have a can opener? It sounds unlikely, but can openers don't magically appear, and unless anyone else has bothered to donate one, there won't be one. There isn't one in my office kitchen, I know that much.

As for point 3, I've fiddled with my P-38 to the point that it doesn't even try to hold itself closed, and I have yet to poke myself on it. Maybe you're just jamming your hand into your pocket with a little too much gusto.

10. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

In response to this one, thats one of the main reasons I do carry a P-38 It is a daily reminder of a my grandfather. He was a WWII vet and I can remember him giving us grandkids a show in mid 1980's by opening a can of C rations he brought home with his p-38 that was still on his dog tags.

:green: :green: Just a FYI: 35 year old Vienna Sausages aren't pretty!! He said they weren't much better fresh!!! :green: :green:

Maybe not a great reason the EDC, but just my .02

11. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

titanium spork is weird...feels weird on the tongue. not smooth like a regular spoon/fork. like rubbing a rock on your lip.

I have 3 p-38s

12. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Considering the legendary status of the P-38 and P-51 can openers, I'm surprised it took me so long to finally purchase some.

I picked up 20 of these things at a surplus store in Hawaii a while back, with the intention of giving most away as gifts. I put one on my keychain, and pretty much forgot about it.

Just today, a fellow sailor in my division needed to open a can of soup and couldn't find our regular can opener. Well, the little P-38 has officially earned my respect! Despite the tool's small size (and my inexperience with it), I was able to open the can in short order.

I can say with confidence that I'll never be without a P-38 again (and I'm looking forward to finding some P-51s in the near future)! :)

13. Tmad

Tmad Loaded Pockets

going to get one now

14. scout24

scout24 Empty Pockets

i carry a P-38 on my keys, same one since about 1990. Always fell open, never really an issue, thanks for the paperclip and o-ring ideas!!! It has been used as a screwdriver more than as a can opener. This place is great... but my wallet doesen't think s:confused:ff to research FREDs.

15. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim Empty Pockets

I have been using "the paperclip" idea for a couple years since I saw it on the Georgia Outfitters website. I have been using a surplus US Speaker P-38 for close to 20 years.
    I am like you and use it more as a screwdriver than as a can opener. I also use it regularly as a boxcutter and bottle opener, it will lift the cap off of a Mexican Coke in no time flat! The Army's Greatest Invention indeed!
    Wp

16. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I just picked a couple up at bass pro shops yesterday. As soon as I get home from work tomorrow Im going to give that paper clip mod a try :)

17. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I've used mine to push loose nails in (just needed a hard piece of metal to focus the force with) and to get the lint and crap out of the hook side of the velcro on my jacket.

-vivek

18. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

I flew 2 yrs ago with a P38 on my keychain without any hassle.

My P38 story was from Vacation Bible School 2 yrs ago when the kitchen crew couldn't find the can opener at church. I said, Hey I have one, Here... and offered up the P38. The ladies were stunned, and amazed at how well it worked.

19. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

P-51 is on my key blob as I type this. It could ALMOST do what my homemade Widgy does!